WIRING? this time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

WIRING? this time

I have a ezy wire kit, va, no name trinary switch in the dryer and a 180 unit in the motor at the water outlet on the top of the manifold pipe to the va heat and air I do have some instructions with the ac and wiring but none on the trinary switch . I have a hot wire out of the fuse box (about 10 or 12 gage marked fan) I also have two more that are marked fan but are not hot so I DON'T have any idea were they go if any one has a diagram or picture of how to wire this thing i would sure like to see it. Oh I have a in line switch for the fan up front a kip it clean controller or what ever its called . no instructions. HELP Oh yes I do have the rest of the car wired and the lights and so on work fine I just jumped in the deep in on this fan and controller and ac,triniry switch end.

OLDROD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Here Ya Go

This should get you going.olnolan
http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsS...%20Diagram.pdf
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Thanks man I think I got my head rapped around the switch part but I only have 3 wires on the breaker I do have the numbers on the top of the breaker but as I said only 3 wires two red (heavy) one black. the heat censer is a no name with a stave and there I get lost.

OLDROD
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm

Are you talking about the relay or the circuit breaker(just three wires)?
The temperature sensor is just a switch, its grounded through its threads, at 180 degrees it turns on which makes its terminal switch to ground. The wire from it and the ground circuit wire from the trinary switch connect to 86 on the relay. olnolan
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Are you talking about the relay or the circuit breaker(just three wires)?
The temperature sensor is just a switch, its grounded through its threads, at 180 degrees it turns on which makes its terminal switch to ground. The wire from it and the ground circuit wire from the trinary switch connect to 86 on the relay. olnolan
The top will unplug and has five staves as best I can rember the three wires come out the bottom and there is a jumper on it if that helps. In orther words you think the small black wire is the ground and needs a female end to fit the stave on the sensor?

OLDROD
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm

Sounds like you're talking about the relay(5 terminals) 85 is coil 12volt +, 86 is coil -ground, 30 is main contact 12volt+, 87(n.o.) is 12volt to load when coil is energized, 87a(n.c.) is 12volt to load when coil is deenergized.

You won't need the 87a terminal, but you'll need the other four. If the black wire you speak of is connected to terminal 86 through the plug, then yes it will connect to the temp. switch and also to the ground circuit side of the trinary switch. I'm supposing that the relay will be under the dash, so in that case you'll need a wire from the temp. switch, another wire to the trinary switch, both of these will connect to terminal 86 on the relay.

Without actually seeing what you have there(photos help),if you refer back to that vintage air diagram, you'll see what I mean. The numbers on the relay are real hard to see, I have to use my big cheaters if ya know what I mean. olnolan
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about the relay(5 terminals) 85 is coil 12volt +, 86 is coil -ground, 30 is main contact 12volt+, 87(n.o.) is 12volt to load when coil is energized, 87a(n.c.) is 12volt to load when coil is deenergized.

You won't need the 87a terminal, but you'll need the other four. If the black wire you speak of is connected to terminal 86 through the plug, then yes it will connect to the temp. switch and also to the ground circuit side of the trinary switch. I'm supposing that the relay will be under the dash, so in that case you'll need a wire from the temp. switch, another wire to the trinary switch, both of these will connect to terminal 86 on the relay.

Without actually seeing what you have there(photos help),if you refer back to that vintage air diagram, you'll see what I mean. The numbers on the relay are real hard to see, I have to use my big cheaters if ya know what I mean. olnolan
Thanks for the help i'll just have to look morrow and see what is what on the thing again thanks for the help Oh IF I ever get sense enough to post pictures I'LL post some of my car now that I have it painted

OLDROD
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

No Problem

I'll keep an eye out for you. Photos are good eye candy. Young folks can zoom around computers like nothing. I got my daughter to help me a few times with moving images around. olnolan
Old 02-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for you. Photos are good eye candy. Young folks can zoom around computers like nothing. I got my daughter to help me a few times with moving images around. olnolan
YEP you got that right the only problem is I can only get mine to do anything WHEN/UNLESS THEY wont some thing. I went in to day to find my brother had plugged the dome light hot wire in the hole for the dash lights. by by light switch. Oh well at-lest it wont my new RF switch but as I was not in back when he did it and both wires are white it was not noticeable right a way SO I spent most of the afternoon before I found the problem so did not get start on th ac .I did open the va book and as I had a head ack to start with after the SU on the switch I just closed up and come home.

OLDROD
Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
YEP you got that right the only problem is I can only get mine to do anything WHEN/UNLESS THEY wont some thing. I went in to day to find my brother had plugged the dome light hot wire in the hole for the dash lights. by by light switch. Oh well at-lest it wont my new RF switch but as I was not in back when he did it and both wires are white it was not noticeable right a way SO I spent most of the afternoon before I found the problem so did not get start on th ac .I did open the va book and as I had a head ack to start with after the SU on the switch I just closed up and come home.

OLDROD
I won't to thank all who offered good advise. I toke the relay out in the sun and lo and behold is has numbers after all so I now think I know how it wires. One to the fan one to the switch side on the starter and the third to the stave on the heat sender on the manifold and on to the trinary ground wire then on to grown wire on the other side of the switch then ground it. IF this an't right tell me before I run it this way.

OLDROD
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I won't to thank all who offered good advise. I toke the relay out in the sun and lo and behold is has numbers after all so I now think I know how it wires. One to the fan one to the switch side on the starter and the third to the stave on the heat sender on the manifold and on to the trinary ground wire then on to grown wire on the other side of the switch then ground it. IF this an't right tell me before I run it this way.

OLDROD
How about it fellows have I got it right?

oldrod
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Yep

Sounds like you got it right, follow that diagram that I posted, use you big cheaters to get the numbering straight on the relay. It'll work if you do it one wire at a time. olnolan
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds like you got it right, follow that diagram that I posted, use you big cheaters to get the numbering straight on the relay. It'll work if you do it one wire at a time. olnolan
Oh yea I got that thing hooked up and went on to install the slim line control panel . I was extending the light wires when one came off AFTER I got the wire sorderder so desided to sorder it back so pulled the back out and before I could start my BROTHER was playing with the temp. control switch when it froze SO a little talk with VINTAGE and now I am waiting for a replacement . So I thought I would install the key less entry this past week I got the sonolords for the latches wired no problem but the ROCKY HING power locks are a pain as they don't have a very good diagram with them .The inside switch is pretty plane but how to wire the key less part no. If you know how these thing go PLEASE help me. Oh the key less transmiter is spal-40 which means chanels 3 AND 4 are net. ANY help will be appreciated. A nother thing the wires on the locks are blue and green so whitch is grownd
OLDROD
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
A nother thing the wires on the locks are blue and green so whitch is grownd
OLDROD
The unit may be grounded through the case- I think you will need separate "unlock" and "lock" circuits- that would be supplied by the two different colored wires.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The unit may be grounded through the case- I think you will need separate "unlock" and "lock" circuits- that would be supplied by the two different colored wires.
I was thinking that I mite be able to wire the inside 5 pole switch up by making a loop with the blue wire from both doors to the inside switch and put it on one end post. Then repeat with the green wire. The other two post to a ground. From the half A** picture that is suppose to lock and unlock the doors on the inside. This is where I GET LOST as I KNOW I will need two single throw 30 amp net. relays for Chanel's 3 and 4 that are neg. ground. spal's DIRS. an't much better as they tell you to run #3 to? and #4? in other words it just shows the wires running out of the relays but not what they go to. I do know that the transmitter an't opening any thing not hooked up.

OLDROD

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.