Wiring A Universal Wiper Motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring A Universal Wiper Motor

Just bought a semi-finished street rod that requires some TLC. My problem is with the wiper switch and or wiper motor. It is an after market wiper version. Removal of it is a nightmare as everything that could be in the way is. I did manage to get to the switch and noticed that part of the switch had separated (half of the switch is metal and the other half is plastic). I placed the switch back together and crimped it ever so tight. I replaced everything and went to fire the wiper motor up. Nothing! Checked the fuses and they were good. And so everything comes out again. I grabbed the ohm meter and tested for power to the switch. There was. I then bypassed the switch, thinking that it was faulty, to see if the wiper motor was at fault. Still nothing. The wiper motor has the following wires: black, blue, brown, white. Because of the position of the wiper motor and because everything is in the way it's very difficult to remove the motor. I'm wondering if there may be a way to determine which wire does what. I'm also assuming that the switch may also be at fault and so might have to change this as well. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Possibly?? this wire code

Your color coding sounded somewhat familiar to my 72 nova. Bought the car sans wiper motor and the wiring was cut off by a previous yoyo. Some aftermarket parts are based off GM factory specs. Anyhow I referred to my Haynes wiring diagram to refresh my memory.
I come up with Black as the ground, Blue and Brown being the high and low wires, which color is high or low?? don't know for sure. White is a hot only when you push the washer mode..../ exciter/ hot wire for a window washer pump.
I'm sure someone out there has a second guess, but that's my two cents
Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Its A Snap

Thanks for the info. I'll see if the color code matches the operation. I did find out that the wiper unit is a "Its A Snap". Now if someone can tell me what kind of switch to use and what wire goes where, I'll be happy.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Refer to the attached diagram of a typical GM wiper motor and switch.
On a GM wiper motor the white wire is hot.
Black is ground.
The purple and gray wire are switched to ground to get low, high and park.
When both wires are grounded the motor runs in low speed.
When the purple wire is grounded the motor runs in high speed.
When the gray wire is grounded the motor go to the park position.
Run a test by grounding the wires as above.
If this is a GM arrangement you will need a switch that works as described.
See attached diagram and switch available from Allied.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GM wiper-washer diagram.pdf (333.0 KB, 382 views)
File Type: pdf 001 GM wiper motor switch NKK.pdf (10.6 KB, 304 views)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Getting nowhere fast!

Thanks for the diagrams, but I'm still lost, sort of. I can't fiqure out the schematic as to how it applies to my color code. I fiqure that the switch may be the problem and so I bypassed the switch
I've got the motor to sort of run, but once again without the switch. I ran power through the blue wire and grounded the white wire. The motor ran and would stop when I disconnected it. If I run power through the white and ground the blue then it also will run, but as if it was straining and at a very slow pace (almost like it was shorting). Any further hooking up to the other wires produced no results. The switch that was hooked up had 5 blades and had off, pos. 1, pos. 2. If you numbered the switch blades 1-5 then applied a continuity test this was the result. In the off position, originally, the power went to #1 and #2 then became live. In pos. 1, power went through #1, #2, and #3. In pos. 2, power went through #1, #2, #5. This is what I found when using the meter. #4 doesn't even enter the picture. And yet originally the power went to #1, black wire went to #2, blue wire to #3, brown wire to #4, white wire to #5. It was supposed to have worked when hooked up in this manner (according to whom I bought the car from). Is it possible that the switch is faulty? I took it apart and it appears to be fine....nothing burned or fused. What am I missing or doing wrong? This is just one of my problems.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Not a GM style wiper...

Still looking for a Its A Snap wiring diagram for their wiper. The GM wiring does not seem to work, if this was a copy. I phoned them and they said that through the years they changed motors and switches wish he didn't tell me that) and that he had no idea as to what I had or the type of switch. To put is bluntly, tough luck! It also seems that they have discontinued their wiper units. I guess they weren't so hot. To date I have a least a two dozen burned out fuses and I'm still no further ahead. I'm wondering whether I can use an ohm meter and check resistance to see what might be the lo or hi speeds? Then I will order a universal wiper switch from Speedway and hope that it will work. Does this sound like a viable plan?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.