Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   wiring up a efan with relays? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wiring-up-efan-relays-138635.html)

Boostedpimp 05-13-2008 01:34 PM

wiring up a efan with relays?

My SPAL pwm progressive efan controller has failed and I need to wire up my fan manually as there on nation wide back order so a replacement is out of question.

So I have a bunch of extra relays laying around and figured i'd wire the efan up with two 40 amp relays ,inline fuse and to a temp sensor but I have no idea how relay wiring goes so could someone help me out?

The efan is a single 16" Bosch unit out of a Volvo that rated at 3000cfm but pulls tons of amps like in the 30 range but spikes to 40 on start up.

I know i'll need a positive from a 12v source, a ignition "switched on" source but how to wire it up?

I should also add that the vehicle no longer has AC so that's one less thing to worry about

Thanks in advance

Ryan

carsavvycook 05-13-2008 06:27 PM

Click on this link it may help.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/BoschRelay.htm

302 Z28 05-13-2008 10:37 PM

Check this thread, the posted pic is for wiring two fans on at once, but you get the idea.

Vince

Boostedpimp 05-14-2008 08:52 AM

Alright so let me see if I have this right... and if you guys see anything that isn't right or you might change please chime in... also what size fuse link should I use and should I put a inline fuse somewhere in there? Currently i've gotten away with using a 40amp inline fuse, 35's blow often so should i throw the 40 somewhere in there?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...efanhookup.jpg

Thank you for the help guys really appreciate it

- Ryan

JohnTN 05-14-2008 08:44 PM

You might also want to have a manual on/off switch wired (T'd) into the blue temperature sensor circuit. Mount the switch in the cabin, on the dash or under it.

I think the temp sensor works by completing a connection to ground when the sensor gets hot. So, a manual switch that provides another path to ground when in the ON position would allow you to activate the fans even though the temp sensor hasn't reached a hot enough temp to activate.

You might want to turn them on early if stuck in hot traffic, or if the temp sensor fails to turn them on soon enough. My temp sensor switch seems to turn on somewhere in a range of about 15 degrees. Or you can use it to turn them on with the engine cold if you just want to test the fans.

John

carsavvycook 05-14-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostedpimp
Alright so let me see if I have this right... and if you guys see anything that isn't right or you might change please chime in... also what size fuse link should I use and should I put a inline fuse somewhere in there? Currently i've gotten away with using a 40amp inline fuse, 35's blow often so should i throw the 40 somewhere in there?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...efanhookup.jpg

Thank you for the help guys really appreciate it

- Ryan

I would install 2 40 amp fuses. 1 between each relay and the fan.

Boostedpimp 05-15-2008 08:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys much appreciated

Any thoughts on what size fuse link I should use? Im guessing since the relays and inline fuses are 40 ampers maybe the fuse link should be 40 as well :confused:

jaguarxk120 05-15-2008 10:40 AM

I would not use a fuseable link! Get a regular fuse block from the parts store with replaceable fuses. If you are out on the road and the if the link should blow out - what are you going to do rewire the system on the road ??? If you notice none of the car makers are using fuse links anymore. TF

Boostedpimp 05-15-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguarxk120
I would not use a fuseable link! Get a regular fuse block from the parts store with replaceable fuses. If you are out on the road and the if the link should blow out - what are you going to do rewire the system on the road ??? If you notice none of the car makers are using fuse links anymore. TF

I was told to use a fuse link because they have a saturation time before blowing where as a fuse lets go as soon as that limit is reached... so lets say the efan spikes to 42 amps once in a while during startup and im using 40 amp fuses.. i'd be popping fuses each time it kicked where as with a 40 amp fuse link it would last through the initial spike because the spike is only a second or two long. Is that correct? that's what I was told previously

jaguarxk120 05-15-2008 02:17 PM

If you use a 40 amp fuse on a fan that draws 40 amps then the fuse is way too small. A fuse is used to protect devices from gross overloads. Using a 40 amp link will work for a time but will open in time as heavy curent folws will degrade the wire. Remember the fuse link is a cheap way around using proper fuses in a circuit. For a 40 amp load I would use a 50 amp fuse, it will protect the wiring if something go's wrong. TF

carsavvycook 05-15-2008 02:28 PM

If you are putting the fuse in the constant battery feed wire to both relays and are afraid of it blowing a 40 amp fuse, use a 50 amp fuse. Also make sure this wire is 10 gauge, and I would hook it directly to the battery, to eliminate any other voltage draws.

Boostedpimp 05-18-2008 12:51 AM

so no fuse link but what about a circuit breaker instead of the fuse on the 12volt power lead?? do they even make 50 amp or higher breakers i've only ever seen 30 or 35 amp ones or is a circuit breaker a bad idea like the fuse link?

carsavvycook 05-18-2008 01:04 AM

A circuit breaker will work just fine. Make sure you install a 15AMP in line fuse in the key on power wire to the relays for additional protection. It will not blow when the fan kick's in and draws more AMPS.

malc 05-18-2008 06:18 AM

If a fusible link blows you have a serious problem to investigate.

If you are out on the road and the if the link should blow out - what are you going to do rewire the system on the road ???

If you replace a blown fuse without finding the cause the only thing you get is a second blown fuse.

Auto Wiring Solutions 05-18-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostedpimp
so no fuse link but what about a circuit breaker instead of the fuse on the 12volt power lead?? do they even make 50 amp or higher breakers i've only ever seen 30 or 35 amp ones or is a circuit breaker a bad idea like the fuse link?

Circuit breakers work great! There are 50 amp breakers available. I would also put circuit protection in the switched side as said earlier.

Good luck!
Ryan