Wiseco Pistons - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiseco Pistons

I was just wondering what people's opinions are of Wiseco pistons compared to Speed Pro, Ross, JE, whatever. I'm looking to get a set for my 350 .060 over with a dome enough to fill up some 76cc heads to get 10.3-ish:1 compression. Supposedly .200"-.250" dome is what I'm looking for, have no clue what the volume of those are though (7-10cc?). I'm only questioning because I've heard many reviews that things like TRW and Speed pro should work fine from people that think Wiseco is overkill. Well, for my application and desired compression, ect, it seems like I won't get away from spending this ammount on a set of pistons. Sure I could get a set of Speed pro's for $399, but another $120 for the Sealed power rings and I'm at the $539 for the Wiseco piston/ring set. Some have also mentioned the Wiseco pistons being a little lighter than other forged pistons. Anyone know of a truth to this or is the difference in weight minute?

The piston specifications are as follows:
Forged
4.060 bore
5.700 rod
Floating pin
Preferably a machine finished top because of >10:1 compression with iron heads on the street.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Street use? Race use? Mostly street with occasional strip use?

The Wiseco piston will be a superior product and JE pistons will be equivalent to them. Ross would be your next step and then the Speed Pro stuff as far as competition engines go.

For a street engine, I would consider a KB piston, but that's just me. True racing type forged pistons are going to be made of a different alloy, but will not be quite as good as far as being able to run a tight skirt clearance for long life and reduced piston noise.

For a hot street engine, the Speed Pro forged stuff would be a great piston to use.

Wiseco pistons are best for extreme duty competition engines. You can run them if you wish, but they are a bit of overkill.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Sorry, I forgot intended use. It is for occasional street and even less strip use. Mostly a temporary motor I need to get suspension tuned before stepping up to a 383 and fogger setup. Are there any issues with running the TRW pistons? I've heard they're a LOT heavier than any other forgings and from the one's I've seen offered as the type I need, they have unmachined surfaces, leading me to believe they'll be more prone to detonation with the 93 octane we have here.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

TRW/Speed Pro pistons are just fine.

Larry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.