Wondering what to do...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wondering what to do......

With gasoline prices showing no signs of coming down and diesel higher than gas, Would it be wise to sell a Econobox car and buy a diesel truck and run it off Biodiesel? Since Biodiesel is alot cheaper to run and cleaner,Would'nt it be wise? I want a mid 90's F-2 or 350 Ext. cab with a long bed diesel (because of the biodiesel). I dis-like Camry's. Don't get me wrong,its a nice car,but It ain't what I like or want although it gets me from A-B.
Now this is what from I've seen. I'd like some real world facts about these trucks and the 7.3 diesels which is all I can find. I don't really need a truck that heavy but I'd rather "have it and not need it then need it and not have it" And belive me,been there a few times. And whare is a reliable place to learn how to make biodiesel? I've looked on the internet and seen places but don't know how credible they are.

Sorry for the 20 questions,But I'd like to be educated before I make a move like this.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement

Last edited by Cruiseomatic; 10-27-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Do a google search on Willie Nelson Biodiesel. Lots of info there.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You want to go from an econobox, that probably gets 30 mpg to a diesel truck that probably gets less than half that?

Not an economical move, thats for sure.

Complaining about the price of fuel is not the way to start this conversation.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

If your trying to save money on the gas, Id stick with the camry unless you have to have that big truck.
For the deiseil like poncho said, will get probably less than half of what your camry is getting, plus you will have to pay for the truck assuming the camry is already paid for, plus the new title and insurance and what not, then for the biodiesil you'll have to buy the equipment to make it your self.

Im sure youd be paying less for the biodesiel once you get it all set up and going, but how much more will it cost you to get to that point?

Brad
Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

all diesel hotrodder here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseomatic
With gasoline prices showing no signs of coming down and diesel higher than gas, Would it be wise to sell a Econobox car and buy a diesel truck and run it off Biodiesel? Since Biodiesel is alot cheaper to run and cleaner,Would'nt it be wise? I want a mid 90's F-2 or 350 Ext. cab with a long bed diesel (because of the biodiesel). I dis-like Camry's. Don't get me wrong,its a nice car,but It ain't what I like or want although it gets me from A-B.
Now this is what from I've seen. I'd like some real world facts about these trucks and the 7.3 diesels which is all I can find. I don't really need a truck that heavy but I'd rather "have it and not need it then need it and not have it" And belive me,been there a few times. And whare is a reliable place to learn how to make biodiesel? I've looked on the internet and seen places but don't know how credible they are.

Sorry for the 20 questions,But I'd like to be educated before I make a move like this.

Thanks guys.
I have and always will have a hotrod around. BUT I have changed me drivers to all diesels 83 S-10 with 4 cyl. Isusu diesel,
88 ford crewcab cummins 5.9, 90 dodge cummins 5.9, 96 dodge cummins 5.9 and yes a 80 mercedes benz 300TD 5cyl turbo diesel. My 1951 F-2 is 350 chev. Auto and disc b all around. But I drive the Bio-diesels at $1.75 a gal.
So dont be afraid of the diesels VW made a diesel pick-up back in the 80's that gets 45mpg. Good Luck
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387

Im sure youd be paying less for the biodesiel once you get it all set up and going, but how much more will it cost you to get to that point?

Brad
Running biodiesel requires little or no modification to most diesel engines out there. Some manufacturers say you can run up to B20 without voiding the factory warranty. I was under the impression that biodiesel (or at least blends) was currently more expensive than regular diesel though...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

b-20 to b100%

If you read up on Rudolf Diesel, you may find that he built his first diesel engines in 1895 for farmers. These engines were designed to run water pumps and a light bulb or two. "1895" Not to many trucks or cars back on the farm then. He sold them to farmers with the idea they would make their own "Diesel". The then oil companies didn't sell diesel or make it from "Crops" like corn, rape, sunflower, peanut or just about anything with oil even peppermint oil. Bio-diesel isn't really bio its diesel that you make. I run cumin's, VW, MBenz, and Isusu diesels on diesel that i make not buy from the "OIL companies". Portland bio-diesel is just down the road from you.. look up their web site. Good Luck because at $3 plus mileage does count.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.