Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Won't idle under 60 degrees timing
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Won't idle under 60 degrees timing

I've been viewing this forum for about two years now, and have found the solutions for many of my cars issues by reading old posts. Well, I've searched and searched but can't find a good thread for this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Background.

I have a sbc 383 with 500 miles on it
hydraulic flat tappet, w/ 1.6rr
Aluminum heads 210 runners, 68cc chambers
MSD 6a, Msd wires, Blaster 3 coil, msd tach adapter, pro billet distributor
Professional Parts Typhoon intake
Holley S/A 770
Optima red top in the trunk

Problem
I can't get the car to idle under 40 degrees advanced. It actually pulls better vacuum and idles better at 60 degrees. It doesn't sound good at all and it shakes quite a bit. I've let it idle like this for about a total of 30 minutes. I pulled the plugs to run another compression check and the plugs were very carbon fouled.

I have checked the distributor position no less than 20 times. I cranked the balancer to TDC, took the valve covers off and verified both rockers on #1 were closed on the compression stroke. With the dizzy locked down at 60 degrees advance the rotor is now pointing to the next cylinder in the firing order when the balancer is on TDC #1.

I've built this car from the frame up and I'm about to give up and tow it to shop just to save my sanity. Help!!