Won't idle under 60 degrees timing - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Won't idle

I agree...start with the basic's.

Set float level and check that fuel isn't running into carb at idle. Turn the idle screws out 2-2 1/2 turns.

Check TDC. Make SURE piston is at tdc. Look in the spark plug hole. Stick a soda straw in the hole and feel the piston reach TDC.

Check firing order on plug wires. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 CW rotation

Basic's (Forgive me for being very basic but I want to be sure. Besides all of us get brain farts occasionally).

Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Tdc 360

Just an observation,,,Since this is not a milk shake I would avoid a straw to get to TDC
Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Looking at the rockers on #1 and aligning the damper line to the tab tells you nothing.

Physically confirm TDC and see if the timing tab/damper line agree- I will guarantee you they will not- providing all else is correct. As far off as you are, you could even use a foot long piece of soft copper wire to use as a feeler down the #1 sparkplug hole and rotate the engine by hand until the wire stops rising. This will be somewhat inaccurate, but more than good enough to see the error at the damper/timing tab.

The following is from another post I made on this:

Quote:
There are several different dampers and timing tabs. Both the diameter, thickness and the placement of the line on the outer ring of the damper can differ, as well as how the timing tab is positioned. So you need to know what damper you have, to know what tab to use.

The three most common locations for the timing mark on the damper:

The exact years of the type of damper timing marks overlap one another, depending on the exact application.

The pre-'69 damper has the TDC line on the outer ring at the 2:30 o’clock position- or 2º before- (i.e. to the LEFT of the keyway, looking at the front of the engine) the keyway centerline. The keyway is seen in the ID of the damper.

The damper used from '69 to about ‘84 has the TDC line at the 2 o’clock position- or 10º before the keyway. You'll find that aftermarket dampers are the 10º type, as are the bolt-on tabs sold in the aftermarket, unless they're adjustable.

A third timing mark was used from about 1978 to about 1995. It is at the 12 o’clock position- or 40º before the keyway. This damper uses a timing cover that has the tab welded on at about the 12 o'clock position. Professional Products lists the years for this type damper line as being ‘84-’95 and is a 6-3/4” diameter damper.

If you're unsure, or just want to check the accuracy of the tab/mark for TDC, DETERMINE TDC and MAKE A TIMING TAPE will help you to see for yourself.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Won't idle

Custom10,

What the hell would you recommend, sticking his biggest screwdriver in to feel the piston coming up. Give me a break.

Ron
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Thats funny,,,maybe a piston stop? U should really take a pill. Every bit of advice has been about first verifying TDC and personally I have never used a straw.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
WFO

Last photo:

My opinion for THIS case- being as how the error is like 20-plus degrees (so it can be easily seen w/o minute of degree accuracy)- is that anything that can safely be used through a plug hole as a rough indicator of TDC will suffice. It's only to see that there IS an error. Once it has been determined an error exists, TDC should be correctly and accurately found and the damper and/or tab corrected or replaced as needed.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Won't idle

I think we need to remember we're trying to help a guy that isn't a gearhead. I agree that a piston stop and rotating both directions, split the difference, etc is the correct way to find TDC. However, someone could.....without thinking...hit the starter and destroy an engine. Piston stops in assembled engines in the car are for experienced people. I was just trying to help him find TDC safely. It's hard to hurt a piston with a straw.

Maybe you and I need to stop making smart *** comments to each other and try to help the guy.

Ron
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Ron

I too would like to help and see him get it right, skip the ball park and just do the precise verification was my take on it. I meant no offence, my bad with the wise crack.

I assumed that the crank rotation was by hand with plugs out, but that is just me.

Anyway quite the thread hope he/we can fix it.

TJ
Old 05-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Won't idle

TJ,

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. I sometimes lack diplomacy and am too blunt. I think that's a sign of my age....however that's not a valid excuse.

Sorry, Ron
Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Update

Thanks to all that replied. I cheated a bit in my resolution. I took it to a local hotrod shop and paid $120 for my education. Turms out the engine was indeed 60 degrees advanced and it took some carb tuning to get it right @ 15 initial and 35 total.

Well, I'm still learning and now I know that a poorly adjusted carb can cause issues with timing. I also now know that if I'm buying a new part such as a carb, don't buy it if someone has obviously messed with it and returned it.

Just thought I'd post this for the archives.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

Ding ding ding, carb opinions win.

I personally use the weird bendy/loopy straws for tdc
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRi5e View Post
Update

Thanks to all that replied. I cheated a bit in my resolution. I took it to a local hotrod shop and paid $120 for my education. Turms out the engine was indeed 60 degrees advanced and it took some carb tuning to get it right @ 15 initial and 35 total.

Well, I'm still learning and now I know that a poorly adjusted carb can cause issues with timing. I also now know that if I'm buying a new part such as a carb, don't buy it if someone has obviously messed with it and returned it.

Just thought I'd post this for the archives.
I realize this is an old post but i must ask.

Did they re-jet the carb?

My car is having the exact same problem and I'm trying to fix it myself and just wondering exactly what they did to your carb to get the timing right.

My motor is a:
freshly rebuild Chevy 5.7L SBC 350.
4-Bolt main
Block has been bored 40 over
882 heads
Edelbrock RPM airgap intake
Holley 600cfm carb
New Comp 268 cam kit.
New flat top pistons providing a 9.5:1 compression ratio

Last edited by logan1; 01-10-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1 View Post
I realize this is an old post but i must ask.

Did they re-jet the carb?

My car is having the exact same problem and I'm trying to fix it myself and just wondering exactly what they did to your carb to get the timing right.

My motor is a:
freshly rebuild Chevy 5.7L SBC 350.
4-Bolt main
Block has been bored 40 over
882 heads
Edelbrock RPM airgap intake
Holley 600cfm carb
New Comp 268 cam kit.
New flat top pistons providing a 9.5:1 compression ratio
You should start the tune up of your engine by increasing the initial timing (also called the base timing). The cam you installed has more overlap and a later intake closing point and a narrower lobe separation angle. All these things conspire to dilute the intake air/fuel charge at idle much more than a stock cam. It's like the EGR valve is stuck open.

To help get the lean, diluted charge burned before the piston is too far back down the cylinder past TDC, the spark has to happen earlier- and this is done by advancing the timing from stock the setting.

The catch to this, is the total timing (base plus mechanical) has to stay below a certain point, about 36 degrees BTDC for non fast burn heads. So if you add initial timing, you have to check to see that there's not too much mechanical timing, and if there is, you have to limit it. One way of limiting the mechanical advance is shown in the photo below.

Click on the photo to read more about this:

To check to see if adding initial timing will help, you can use a timing light to set the timing to about 16 degrees BTDC. This should allow you to turn the curb idle speed screw CCW to lower the idle. Don't drive the vehicle like this- this is just to see if adding timing will help.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.