Won't Start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2002, 05:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Won't Start

I installed a new manifold on my 350. Now it will turn over but isn't getting any spark. I have made sure it was at top dead center but it still just turns over. Somebody told me it was my coil but my coil was fine before and looks brand new.

???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Turn the distributor 180 degrees and try again.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:35 PM

Another poss. is you are way slow on timing. If you have been turning the dist. and nothing has happend,no back-fires or anything and you know that you have fuel I would check to see if you are getting voltage to the ignition.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:11 PM

You have to start with the basics. What type of ignition system are you using. Points or HGI or something else. Most coils can be tested by hooking a hot 12v line to the + side then take a wire from the - side and momentarily touch it to ground the coil should arc to ground don't hold the coil while doing this. unless you like a thrill.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:26 PM

check to see if you have fire to your coil, get you a 12 volt light, you can make one out of a old light plug socket, unless you have a test light, hook it to the positive wire to your coil hot wire, black to a ground turn key on if it lights up you have juice to the coil then you know its in between coil to plugs(wrenchturner) just a suggestion Is this points or electronic dist.?

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]

[ May 10, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>
Old 05-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Well, before you start doing a lot of radical stuff, just remember you may just have gotten the distributor a tooth off one way or another. It wouldn't be the first time someone (like me) has done this. You may find that moving all of the plug wires one plug up or down in the firing order "fixes" the problem. If it does, then you are about a tooth off in timing. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:21 AM

Lets analyze this one step at a time. You said you have no spark. Find out why. You can test the coil by simply breaking the contact at the coil. If you don't get spark straight out of the coil, it isn't going to go into the distributor. The distributor only puts spark at a place in time that you designate, so no spark in, none out. If you have spark at the coil, then put a timing light on the spark plug wires to make sure that they are firing. If they are, then look at your timing as the source of failure to start. If you work through all these steps and it still is not starting, or it is backfiring and not running, then come back here and we will talk you through timing it. Don't go from won't start to pulling the distributor out and starting from scratch.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:10 PM

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

I realized that i didn't connect the ground that I was for sure gonna remember to connect (hahaha not funny).

Another funny story is that when it started i see a fountain in the engine bay from the drivers seat. OIL OIL EVERYWHERE!! Turns out theres a place my friend didn't plug and i thought I struck oil.

Everything that could go wrong and more always does for me.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.