Wont start - bad gas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wont start - bad gas?

Ive finally got my 79 pickup ready to start. Had problems with it not getting gas up to the carb. So i changed the fuel pump. Now I have gas to the carb, the pump will shoot gas down the carb but it will not start. It will start if you pour gas in it (fresh gas, from a can).

Can gas actually go bad from sitting 3 or 4 years? Bad enough where it wont start? Ive burned 15 year old gas before... but im sure our gasoline was made better back then than it is now. Bad gas is all I can come up with.

Got fuel to the carb, but wont run. If its not bad gas then I am stumped! It does seem like it will hit each time i goose the go pedal while cranking but it will not start.

Its very aggravating, I've been waiting forever to start this thing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM
More for Less Racer

Yes, gasoline will go bad in that period of time. It will remain flammable if lit by a match but will be unable to start a cold engine, especially in cold air temperatures due to the fact that all of the light hydrocarbons have long since evaporated off. Best to drain it off, if that isn't possible then mix it with an equal or greater amount of fresh 93 or better octane. If you mix it you still have to pump away all the unmixed that is in the fuel lines, pump, and filter so that you will have good fuel at the carb.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Gauge shows 1/8 of a tank, should be a 20 gal tank so it has probably 2.5 gallons in it.. at least. I don't have an electric pump laying around anywhere to pump that fuel out with unfortunately. So ill probably just have to mix it. Id rather use that fuel up than dump it anyways.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM

I bought a hand pump from the auto parts store and drained my trucks tank when I bought it. The truck sat up for a year and a half and the fuel was shot. Check your plugs also. Could have fouled them if the gas is really bad.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Run a small diameter fuel hose down the fill neck and siphon it out!

Otherwise dilute it like everyone says w/good fuel.

If you have a choke- use it. You'd be surprised how some carbs/engines like a choke...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

I'm thinking about blowing out the lines from the pump, back into the tank and then adding 5-10 gallons of fresh gas and blowing the gas out of the float bowl. That way when the fuel makes its way back to the carb from the tank, it should be fresh enough to start.

I've got a hose off the fuel inlet of the pump in a gas can of fresh gas right now but I don't think I've got all the old gas out of the pump, line and carb yet. Its getting a little late to be trying to start it now. Noise ordinance takes effect at 10pm and this thing is running open headers.

454 + open headers = crazy loud
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Haa Me Too

Yep, Me too. I fight this crap gas every time I try to get my boat ready for water. Its been a long term restoration project and sometimes I like to ride even if it ain't perfect. Gas will set up and go bad. If you try to run it on the bad gas, it might crank and run then kill and foul the plugs. That old gas when baked on a hot plug will make a varnish coating that is a great insulator,no matter how hot your ignition system is,it won't fire thru it. I learned to pump the old fuel out, refill with fresh stuff, change the filters, either blast the plugs or replace. Then it fires like a fresh engine. It does seem like the LEL or the preservative qualities of gas has changed. Big oil don't care, they figure if it goes bad in a few months, you just gotta buy more. olnolan
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
I'm thinking about blowing out the lines from the pump, back into the tank and then adding 5-10 gallons of fresh gas and blowing the gas out of the float bowl.
Just be careful blowing compressed air into the carb, that you don't mess up the float setting.

And don't forget to try the choke.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Wont start - bad gas?

pull the line from tank at pump , add a longer piece hose .stick a rag down the gas fill and blow air into it till gas comes out the hose in bucket .
it will siphon the tank into bucket .add the new gas , wash your tools up from all the grease with that old gas or wipe the oil spot off the floor .
good luck , make sure your outside and no sparks , as we lost a 17 year old Young man and his step dad not in to good of shape after doing gas tank in garage in Tenn ..
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Lawn Mower Too

I've had the gas in my Lawn tractor go bad over the winter, turned to varnish globs in carb bowl. Clogged the carb up, have had to pull the bowl and give everything a Berryman B-12 ******. Winter ain't that long down here, ain't no excuse for it, you should not have to add stabilizer for a set up of only a couple of months. Don't get me started. End of rant.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Just be careful blowing compressed air into the carb, that you don't mess up the float setting.

And don't forget to try the choke.
The choke is closed. I'll be careful getting the fuel out of the carb. Im gonna try to get the old gas out, but i dont think there is much in it. It shows 1/8th of a tank and its only a 20 gal tank. Usually there is a little reserve in the tank so even when it shows empty its still got a little left. But i cant imagine there being more than 3 maybe 4 gallons of gas in it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt olds
pull the line from tank at pump , add a longer piece hose .stick a rag down the gas fill and blow air into it till gas comes out the hose in bucket .
it will siphon the tank into bucket .add the new gas , wash your tools up from all the grease with that old gas or wipe the oil spot off the floor .
good luck , make sure your outside and no sparks , as we lost a 17 year old Young man and his step dad not in to good of shape after doing gas tank in garage in Tenn ..
Thats a pretty good idea. I'll have to try that.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Clogged the carb up, have had to pull the bowl and give everything a Berryman B-12 ******.
I can't believe a medical/personal female hygiene term like "******" is zapped by the software!! lol
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Haa Haa Thats Real Silly Censorship

I didn't think of it as a bad word, ok a Berryman B-12 enema, see if that gets censored. I thought if you stuck by the FCC list of bad words(remember George Carlins routine), then you were ok. If you can say it on national television which is G rated, then it should be ok on here. The censorship list here apparently contains alot of terms or words that someone deemed inappropriate. My apologies to anyone offended, but I didn't see anything wrong with it. Geeze olnolan
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I've had the gas in my Lawn tractor go bad over the winter, turned to varnish globs in carb bowl. Clogged the carb up, have had to pull the bowl and give everything a Berryman B-12 ******. Winter ain't that long down here, ain't no excuse for it, you should not have to add stabilizer for a set up of only a couple of months. Don't get me started. End of rant.
that' happens a lot sense they put that corn squeezing made out of water
they call ethanol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.