Wont start and need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wont start and need help

I have a 68 GTO that I am usually bugging people about however my primary vehicle is dead and I need help ASAP
Vehicl is 97 F150 4.2 auto trans. When I turn the key, all I hear is a "chunk" its trying to turn but wont. I removed the starter and had it bench tested and it was fine. I put a brand new heavy duty battery in her, still the "chunk". I was able to rotate the pulley bolt with a wrench about a 1/4 turn in each direction (thats all the room I had and was unsure if it was clo9ckwise or counterclockwise from the drivers seat, being which way it tuns.)
Its my only daily driver since the GTO has no tranny and I need to get to work on Friday and to a parts store today. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks,
Simon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Bad battery cable is the next probable culprit. They can look very good on the outside and still have corrosion on the inside @ the connectors. Check both postive and ground cables.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Good idea Willies. I cant remember for sure but a while ago on my t-brid (when i was still driving it) i think the starter regulator thing went bad, it did the same thing.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:32 PM

Could it be that the starter spun when bench testing because it was under no load but when I put it back in it just did not have enough ooomph to turn the engine over?
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Starter will test fine with no load sometimes. Use a voltmeter across the battery and see if there is any voltage drop when you try to crank the engine. If there is quite as bit and starter does not work chances are it is bad. Does the starter have the solenoid on it. If so if it has the spade terminal connector on it for the small wire it may have a bad connection. Ford was notorious for that connection. Weather and elements killed the connection. They went through 3-4 upgrades before they got the solenoid correct. If no or very little drop, check for clean terminals or bad cables connections.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:51 AM
you talkin to me?

i know first hand the ford 4.2 has a terrible reputation for head gaskets going and when they go the antifreeze leaks into the cylinder over night and fills it up and when you go to start it in the morning thats all you'll get.
sorry to say it sounds like you have a bad head gasket
Old 12-25-2003, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

Badknuckles is right. It could have hydraulic'd on you. We had an alcohol open wheel modified do that one time. After that we put a fuel shutoff switch within my reach and I always shut the fuel off so there was no chance of it leaking into the cylinders. But I got the same sound from the starter. If you cannot turn it over by hand drain the oil and see what is in it. Could be antifreeze if the head gasket went.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.