Hot Rod Forum banner

Wood Doorpanels.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm just about getting far enough along to start thinkin about what to do for door panels and I want to make them myself but I have no idea what to use to make the wood backing and how to make it so it fits nice to cover the entire door and how to roll to cover the top of the door in front of the window. What would you guys suggest I do. Also if it helps i think theres a picture of the inside of the door in my gallery so you can see what i have to deal with.

#2 ·
I assume you are talking about the '79 truck? That is a pretty straight forward project. Make a heavy paper template of the door panel, all the way to the window frame. Cut the pattern 1/4" shy of the rim of the frame so your upholstery cloth can wrap around it and not make the panel too big to close the door. Cut the flat part of the panel form a piece of luaun plywood from Home Depot. You can get this listed as 'door skin' from their shelves. Used normally to glue over a house door to repair the damaged outer surface. Do not extend the wood over the curved rim of the door on top. Let the sponge rubber and upholstery hang free up there so it will conform to the shape. You can do the whole door panel with out sewing a stitch. Here are some photos of how I made the upholstered panels for my '53 Chevy pickup. Starts om page 13 and goes up to page 8.
Also, there are several books out there like this which are invaluable to the novice upholsterer.

#3 ·
wood door panels/ABS?

Have you considered ABS? I used it on my last car and liked it. It cuts really easily- score it and break it. Easy to add to if you cut too much, or want to put shapes on it. Also, you can heat it up and mold it. Another to consider approach. Bill :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the posts guys, and i think im gonna give that abs a shot and see how well it molds, because I have a hump in the door where the window crank and doorhandle stuff recesses into so the abs will most likely be the easiest to mold over that, unless somebody comes up with a better idea atleast haha.

#8 ·
Sweet truck, I got an 86' Im working on and I know exactly what you mean on those door panels. I haven't done this yet, but I have been planning it out for quite a while how Im gonna do mine, I figure it could help you out to.

Heres the stock door panel, I was gonna cut off all the middle in it, and leave just the square part on the outside that is curved to the door. Then I was gonna buy some universal door panels from Rod Doors that is preformed with flames. like this one

The I would cut out the the right size of the flamed one to fit inside the square part from the stock panel. Then I was gonna fiberglass it or bondo it in, sand it down and get it smooth then cover it with material.

I hope this helps you bro, As Ive been looking into it for a while. Rod doors also makes door panels already preformed for these trucks, thats if you like the design for it ( I dont!)

Brad

#9 ·
That's a cool plan!

I've been thinking about mine for quite a while, too. I made templates for each door out of some "oil-board" and installed them last week. It's a start.

First, I plan on getting some cool seats out of a newer car from the junkyard ... then, depending on the color of the seats, I'll start designing my interior. Out of all the projects I've done on my truck, the interior is where I have the most talent. So I'm psyched about it!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.