Wood eye? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Wood eye?

What I am looking for is information on wood being used on a vehicle. I am build ing a C-Cab and will have some wood. The frame is already made from 1 in box tubing and wrapped in 18 guage steel for panels. The floor top C-Cab bows and some trim will be wood. I am looking for ideas, sites to reference, others experience. You always see red oak, but what else can be used to keep the cost down. Marine plywood, poplar, cyprus, redwood. I am new to the wood thing and welcome all ideas!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 07:06 AM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

I don’t know about where you are at but ‘round here pine is about the cheapest wood you can find. Besides being so cheap the nice thing about pine is it is a light color so you can stain it any shade you want.

Cory
Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I'm not really clear on where the wood will be in your car. Sounds like you have already replaced most of the structural wood with steel. If the wood is exposed to the elements, you must use decay resistant species.

For flat floorboards, marine grade plywood is fine. I cover mine with wood grain Formica on the bottom so it will never be exposed to rot. There is an unlimited variety of Formica out there so you can cover it with any look you want.

For structural wood, white oak is the standard. Red oak is very porous and actually wicks up water so rots easier than white oak. The latter has resin filled pores so is very rot resistant.
There are other decay resistant species like cypress and redwood but they don't have the necessary strength, or teak or other tropical wood that is strong and decay resistant but costs the national debt.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I know the oak is high dollar but for being out in the weather, sun, dampness whatever you need to use a hard wood. Marine plywood I think has to much grain and you'll see the ply's on the edges that show and it will look just that way like plywood. And most of the time is just treated yellow pine. Any of the pines will be to soft of a wood. Any little ding will show big time. Myself I would use White oak or Hard maple, both are a light color and finish out nice. It also depends on the finish color of the car as to what will match and how much you want it too stand out. If you want it stand out and be noticed there is Birds eye maple that has some great looking grain patterns, but then again it is a pricey wood. Poplar is also to soft a wood to use for what you want. If you go to <a href="http://www.woodmagazine.com" target="_blank">www.woodmagazine.com</a> then click on Wood Magazine and look for Wood profiles that is a chart with all the wood colors and grain patterns to help you decide.
Good luck, If you need some more info or help let me know, I've done woodworking for many years and will try to help as best I can.

David
Old 05-19-2003, 08:29 PM

Most automotive wood structurally and cosmetically (Woodie Wagons and Convertibles) is oak or ash. That should tell you what to use for your exterior and trim wood.
As far as the floor business goes, my T-bucket has a marine plywood floor that was installed in the old Cal Auto body in 1969. Then painted top and bottom with good old black oil-base enamel. Still solid and parked outside all the time.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:39 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Madd, the best product for finishing exterior wood is Deks Oleje (say Decks Olay). I had to refinish my PU bed every other year using high end exterior finishes, but used this product on the recommendation of my son, the wood boat guy. I put it on in 1989 and did not touch it again (replaced it recently and needless to say, it' on the new wood). The label says "for teak and other boating woods". Also, it comes in different gloss levels. The best source is jamestowndistributors.com. They are also great for any and all types of stainless fittings and fasteners.

Trees

Trees
Old 05-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

C Cabs are way cool, Madd. We will of course need to see pics of this baby when you get done. MAybe even the progress along the way too.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:22 AM

Last photo:

For some reason, Teak comes to mind... I am pretty sure it has been used on custom woodies.. and it was used in custom boat building extensively.

You could also go with a veneer route.. either sheet-metal with a wood veneer of your choice epoxied to it, (my brother made a bunch of the American Eagle signs in malls like that), or put a veneer over marine plywood.

Good Luck
-Michael

got a links list off a woodie site..

http://www.oldwoodies.com/resource-woodies-vendors.htm

Even has a place listed making kits for T's =)

Happy Holidays,
-Michael

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.