Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wood Replacement in 1936 Pontiac Doors
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

bending tubing

When I did the 29 roadster I used a Harbor Freight pipe bender, I needed large radius curves. I marked the tubing with chalk an inch apart then With the pipe dies and the tube held flat started pumping the jack until i could see the tube just barely move, release and move to the next mark and work along the tube. It took quite a while. In Cboy's build threads and probably in his eBook here on HR He shows how he cut a plywood form, screwed it to the side of his garage , clamped in the tube and used a come-a-long on the end of the tube to pull it around his plywood die. I bought the HF tubing roller, the three wheel contraption, good for constant radius bends. It comes with round pipe dies, they sell dies for 1/2 square. I tried some 1 in square holding it flat in the round dies. It worked ok bending but they use cheap allen screws on the big steering wheel and I stripped them. It needs fixing like most HF tools. I plan on motorizing the driver and mabe a motor on the press screw.. Cboy also shows how to make a small radius die to bend sq tubing If you haven't read it yet click on eBooks at the top of the page, lots of good info

Last edited by timothale; 04-27-2012 at 07:16 AM.