Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Wood Replacement in 1936 Pontiac Doors (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wood-replacement-1936-pontiac-doors-218670.html)

36pontiac 04-26-2012 07:06 PM

Wood Replacement in 1936 Pontiac Doors

1 Attachment(s)
I am replacing the wood in my '36 Pontiac 2-Door Slant-back. I have searched several locations for different methods of replacing the wood in the doors. Understandably there are different methods that have been used, but selecting the best method is difficult. If pictures were available to associate with the description it would be really helpful. The threads I have found are quite old and am not sure if pictures might still be available. Any pictures along with the type of material would be great. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

timothale 04-26-2012 07:19 PM

rewooding.

We have a 36 and 37 4 door pontiacs . they are still solid. I bought plans several years ago when I re-wooded a 23 ford model t touring, a lot of mortice and tennon joints. I did a lot of band saw work. and even though I carefully followed the plans there were quite a few fit problems. I made a steel body sub structure for the 29 nash roadster. I drew a grid on a sheet of plywood, mounted on a large pallet so we could fork the body around. I checked every thing to the grid them made cardboard patterns of the contours I needed to bend, You could do the same thing but cut wood instead of steel. old Mopar cars were the best, then fords, GM (Fisher body) have the most problems because they were slow to switch to steel sub structure

36pontiac 04-26-2012 07:45 PM

I started by replaceing the wood in one of the doors and was not happy with the way that it was looking and decided to go with steel. But, after looking at different methods could not decide the best way.

DanTwoLakes 04-26-2012 07:59 PM

Moving this to Body-Exterior.

Dan

OneMoreTime 04-26-2012 09:50 PM

I use square tubing...one way to get the curves is to bandsaw tthe tube to shape or you can invest in a bender from protools or jd2 and with the correct die bend tubing to the correct profile that you need. Actually you may use both methods in the construction of a new interior subframe.. good luck as you will be a skilled fabricator when done with this project..

Sam

timothale 04-27-2012 07:08 AM

bending tubing

When I did the 29 roadster I used a Harbor Freight pipe bender, I needed large radius curves. I marked the tubing with chalk an inch apart then With the pipe dies and the tube held flat started pumping the jack until i could see the tube just barely move, release and move to the next mark and work along the tube. It took quite a while. In Cboy's build threads and probably in his eBook here on HR He shows how he cut a plywood form, screwed it to the side of his garage , clamped in the tube and used a come-a-long on the end of the tube to pull it around his plywood die. I bought the HF tubing roller, the three wheel contraption, good for constant radius bends. It comes with round pipe dies, they sell dies for 1/2 square. I tried some 1 in square holding it flat in the round dies. It worked ok bending but they use cheap allen screws on the big steering wheel and I stripped them. It needs fixing like most HF tools. I plan on motorizing the driver and mabe a motor on the press screw.. Cboy also shows how to make a small radius die to bend sq tubing If you haven't read it yet click on eBooks at the top of the page, lots of good info

36pontiac 04-27-2012 03:51 PM

Many Thanks

Many thanks to everyone and their responses. Will probably follow everyone lead and use assorted square tubing and bend appropriately. Like I had said, I have seen several methods using different material but I believe the square tubing will work the best. Thanks again.