Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Wool Pad/Foam Pad/Products/whats ur Flavor (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wool-pad-foam-pad-products-whats-ur-flavor-75292.html)

BondoKing 12-03-2005 04:28 PM

Wool Pad/Foam Pad/Products/whats ur Flavor

I know this has been discussed before I am sure, but I wanted to start a thread to see who is still using the tried and true wool pads these days and with what products...

I know for many new guys foam is the safest way to go, but allot of us who have been doing this for a long time still use wool... some don't and I know this, but I want to see why some of you have really switched...

I don't think there is much benefit using foam pads for cutting with compound unless you are doing a dark color... It does make less work with the Mirror Glaze products I have used over the years on dark colors to really remove all the hazing/scratches from the wool... I don't know if it would be less an issue with different products.. ie.. 3M, Presta, Nortons etc...but I will soon find out as I am switching to Presta's System as each one of my compound/polish/swirl remover runs out it will be replaced and with the Presta Pads as well..

Many of you use 3M.. Have you ever tried different brands?? If so what and why do you still use what you are using...

I thought this might be an informative thread for those who may be approaching buffing stages, and I am always eager to see why people do what they do.... Never to old or knowledgeable to learn in this gig...

I will put a pole

BarryK 12-03-2005 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL!

I have tried but just cannot get the foam pad deal down just plain will not use one.

For me I have found that two different wool pads will give what I want as the stang below was buffed with two steps for time purposes (lack of). When it comes back in March it will be buffed again and go to a third finer wool pad.

Aggressive wool with aggressive compound and then a medium wool with a 1500 type compound. If I had time it would have gotten a third with a fine wool and a 2000 type compound.

I have always buffed every color the same be that right or wrong.

Bee4Me 12-03-2005 05:13 PM

Funny you should ask.
I was SOLD on a white waffle pad with PerfectIt III regular cut compound after a 3000 Trizact pad ,BUT, I drug out the wool pad and the PerfectIt II Fine Cut and used it on an 800 gt. finish and was AMAZED at how well this old compound still produced a VERY clean finish. :eek:
I STILL can't get a flat pad to finish for shemp and IF I don't use a waffle pad will get a LOT of swirl marks.Or, It does not remove the sand scratch.
I believe it has a lot to do with how well the clear is cured out and IF it's not done,will be an exersise in futility. Just keep grinding and getting nowhere.

CRAP, I voted for the FOAM pad, WRONG, Should have been the WOOL and II

roger1 12-03-2005 05:43 PM

I had used wool in the past and decided to try foam for the first time based on the posts I have seen on this forum.

Well, I just spent a bunch of money on foam pads, backup pads and the compound for the pads and I feel like I wasted the money.

I went back to wool after getting really p***-poor results with the foam.
Was using the white pads with Perfect-It II 05973 Rubbing Compound and the grey pad with Perfect-It III Trizact Machine Glaze.

I am doing a car with PPG Direct Gloss SS that I had color-sanded with 1200/1500/Trizact 3000.

Wool is working great using 3M Imperial Microfinishing first and 3M Finesse-It II next.

mrcleanr6 12-03-2005 09:25 PM

since this is basically a car and truck forum i went for wool and perfect it 2. on cars i use exactly that then switch to black foam when i polish. on bikes i cant use a wool pad. there are too many vent holes and edges that the wool pads like to grab and tear up. the foam gives much more control in tight areas and edges. on big areas like on cars the wool just cuts faster and works nicer. bk, i know i have gone over it with you but i have yet to find anything as good as the perfect it 2 so i figured i'd do a quick test. i had a trunk lid all wetsanded down to 2000. seperated it into 3 sections. all with a wool pad. did one with the perfect 2, one with presta ultra cutting creme and one with perfect it 3000. after 2 passes i have to say the 2 and presta were damn close. the 3000 wasn't even in the picture. i think the 2 is still just a little bit nicer and works a little better but not by much. the presta is supposed to be water based (i think) so, for health reasons and since they were so close i think i'm switchin to the presta.

baddbob 12-03-2005 09:48 PM

I voted foam and perfect it II, the wool pads are definately more aggressive but the 3M waffle foam pads work just fine for me so that's what I use. I then switch to a waffled grey pad for the polishing stage, and sometimes finish by hand when it needs to be perfect-don't laugh, yes a final rub by hand makes a difference.
Watch out for heavy swirl marks when using the wool pads and coarse compound, I've seen them so bad that they had to be sanded out with 2000.
Everyone has their own preference so use what works for you.

esty 12-04-2005 09:47 AM

i just used the Norton's Liquid Ice, it was my 1st ever attempt at polishing....i found, once i got into it, it went really fast....i got a finish that i could live with, with the 1st step/wool pad...very easy clean up too

Barry....i didn't know there were different grades of wool pads....i couldn't get much results from the foam pads either....using the foam pads seems like a waste of time

BondoKing 12-04-2005 10:09 AM

Ahhh wool and foam lovers :D

I understand about the bikes MC!!! Dont want to repaint because of edges and the like... and I know we talked about this, thought it would be good for all, until Jim gets ahold of the thread :thumbup:

Bob,I tried the waffle foam pads from 3M before and they loaded up much quicker than the mirror glaze pads I was accustomed to.. they also seemed to grab allot easier and did not clean off as easy either

For foam use I think you cant beat the mirror glaze style pads.. Just my opinion and have seen that Presta is using the same style with their foam

Quote:

Wool is working great using 3M Imperial Microfinishing first and 3M Finesse-It II next
Roger I used imperial many years ago and thought it was a step above the mirror glaze diamond cut compound... after getting back into this, I saw everyone was using the Perfect IT ll/lll instead now days.. I still see the imperial on the shelf at my local jobber.. good to see someone still likes it

crashtech 12-04-2005 10:27 AM

I didn't see an option for wool for cutting then foam for final polishing. Wool pads will "git 'r' done", foam pads are sloooooow! I like to use a glaze with some abrasive in it on the final foam padding so if you run across an area where the sand marks are not all the way gone you can just linger there for a bit and make them go away!

PimpJuice 12-04-2005 03:42 PM

Foam or wool, does not matter in the hands of an experienced pro. Yes wool is faster, but the job can be done either way. Products are mostly the same. It is whatever you become used to
I voted for Evercoat. Good stuff.. I have used 3m and like it, MG is ok,presta I read good things about, and i would shy away from norton since you are only using one product. does not sound right to me. compound and polish should be seperate things imo

PJ

jcclark 12-05-2005 10:22 AM

I use both, a wool for cutting with first buffing then a foam
for polishing and swirl removal.
But most of mine are single panel applications, I seldom
buff an entire car.

chadsbodyshop49119 12-05-2005 12:16 PM

Right now i'm using system one and like it alot.. used to use perfect it 3, but I like the system one better,, I use wool, then yellow foam then black foam... I don't like to do heavy cutting with foam.. it doesn't cut it for me, but I do like to do my finish work with foam...
How does system one compare to presta.. I definetely prefer the water based compounds after getting used to them.

novafreek6872 12-07-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadsbodyshop49119
Right now i'm using system one and like it alot.. used to use perfect it 3, but I like the system one better,, I use wool, then yellow foam then black foam... I don't like to do heavy cutting with foam.. it doesn't cut it for me, but I do like to do my finish work with foam...
How does system one compare to presta.. I definetely prefer the water based compounds after getting used to them.

That's really good to hear as I have a system One kit on the way :) Expensive kit it better work good!!! :nono:

Previously I have used 3M with wool.

chadsbodyshop49119 12-07-2005 09:13 PM

The best advice i could give ya is, try it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.. after my first try i was unsure.... and buff it really good with the first pad.. you won't have to spend much time with the others then.. you can get a really good shine with the wool pad..

novafreek6872 12-12-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadsbodyshop49119
The best advice i could give ya is, try it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.. after my first try i was unsure.... and buff it really good with the first pad.. you won't have to spend much time with the others then.. you can get a really good shine with the wool pad..

Got it today and did the driver door on my Red Nova. That door has NEVER looked this good!!! I would wholeheartedly recommend this system to anyone. Its a bit pricey for what it is ($100 inc. shipping) but, boy does it ever work and ZERO swirls.

Its very convenient being able to use the same "compound" thru the entire process. I don't really think its alot faster than traditional methods, but it is a quality system that does work. I'll be doing the rest of the car with it.

I'm sure people using foam pads and other products get very similar results, the kit comes with a 32 oz bottle of compound/polish, a very nice wool pad and 2 foam pads, also a super soft applicator sponge and a microfiber towel (they coulda thrown in a couple more of those, they really work nice).

I've had my car painted now for 12 years and I have never had a totally swirl free finish till now, my vote goes for system One. :)