Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wool Vs. Foam Pad?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think sanding at 1500 and ending with 2500 and going to wool makes it easier. There's guys that say swirls are an issue but then they go cut with an 800, which is much more aggressive than a swirl. A wool pad just ensures you are getting everything and losing your head over it, andif you do it right and follow with an aggressive foam pad with the same compound it's just another grit to cancel to me. The key is to compound with the foam pad and it's like it never even seen wool. On black I compound the foam more thoroughly obviously.

Another important thing is to try to achieve the true gloss it should have in compound on a foam pad. I've seen countless guys compound with a pad just til the haze is gone but you can do better and get a deeper gloss by doing a little more. If it looks like it has been polished when you are done with compounding on foam then it's a cake walk from there and your polish isn't there to hide anything, it's just there for the cherry on top.