Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wool Vs. Foam Pad?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have been seeing a lot of posts about buffing lately, but hate to admit I am still not sure exactly what I need to do and what I need to buy. Might be a good topic for a new FAQ from those in the know (hint hint)

Unfortunately I am way over what I had originally budgeted for painting this car, so I can't afford to pay someone else, or to buy new $200+ tools to buff it out, unless it is a total waste of time without buying that good of a tool.

I understand that I should wet sand it down with 2500 -3000 grit paper, but then do I need 2 or 3 different compounds and pads to finish it up?

Has anyone tried this buffer and foam pad? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

I think the 3M waffle pads are hook and loop right? Would I have to get a new backing pad to use them on that buffer?

Bottom line, I don't want to keep from doing what is needed to finish it up decently, but I also am trying to keep from spending money I don't have to. At this point elbow grease is a lot easier to come by than money.

I did help a painter friend of mine buff cars while I was between jobs 20+ years ago, but have forgotten most everything about it.

ps I painted the interior and jambs this weekend, and in my eyes they came out great. I do have a few areas where I got it darker than others, but since Pearl looks different depending on the direction you look at it, the differing shades aren't too noticeable. I might try to get a couple of pictures and put them up later.