Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wool Vs. Foam Pad?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have this one.
Buffer
It's held up great for the last year.
Most foam pads are hook & loop and you can get a cheaper backing pad than the 3M which will work fine. Most buffers do not come with this pad and I doubt that one does.Mine did so might be worth a phone call to find out.
Getting either the Mirka or 3M Trizac 3000 pads are the ONLY way to go.
They do cost a little extra but if your time and effort are worth anything (I'm kinda lazy someday's) are worth every penny.
After a 1500 I go with the Trizac damp and the actual buffing by machine is a snap compared to stepping up compounds/pads and MORE work.
I rarely use a wool pad any more after getting turned on to this. A white waffle pad with some Perfect-it III regular cut or some Perfect-it 3000 (haven't tried it,but the demo look's great) then some swirl remover for the appropriate color paint,light or dark, with a black waffle pad will give you the BEST possible finish available.
Doing it by hand with 2000 and up will work but the finish from the DA & Trizac is WAY above anything done by hand.

I've learned this the HARD way by tring to cut costs and doing it on the cheap but the FACT is that unless you use the BEST products,You will not get the BEST finish. It costs $$$ for these products and after getting discouraged and working my ***** off broke down and got what I needed a little at a time and if I was to do over again,would NOT waste time and money on the cheap stuff cause it's just wasted capital instead of money well spent.
So what if everyone thinks $360.00 is ALOT for just a spray gun.
After working myself to death sanding 'peel.I've seen the light.
Finally.