working with an idiot...what's your working with an idiot story? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
The RO said not to take the parts off and the boss said to go by the RO. If anyone's trying to be a team player here it's me. Unlike him, I do what the boss says and even if it's something I don't agree with. If I have a gripe I will explain why but never do I think I'm above the team nor do I do stupid things to escalate the situation, I just stand my ground once in a while to give him the hint that I don't really care for his issues and ego. For the most part it has worked but once in a while he'll fling some crap my way, like with this situation. The bottom line, writing little notes on cars is NOT how you go about communicating with your coworkers, unless the man thinks he's god's gift to the world.
I see, yep, you removing any more would have to be oked by the office and the RO changed to reflect it. I'm sorry I didn't catch that, YOU are right.

Brian

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 59
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
OK Brian, then I'm glad we agree...if this guy gets a kick out of a post like this then he is an idiot and by idiot I mean "He doesn't know he doesn't know", A true Idiot in the true definition of idiot and it's hurting the shop with him inflicting his attitude on everyone around him, Common? I would hope not but still there and for the sake of employees and the new owner it needs to be dealt with. I would never take the side of anybody who left a masking tape note like the painter did when I'm working beside him on a daily basis. It's either a coward that left the note or as I mentioned, an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
tech69 (10-31-2012)
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 646
Thanked 268 Times in 244 Posts
and to give you a little heads up as to how I went about it trying to please everyone, I tucked the liner into the fender, that way I'm following the RO AND giving the painter a fender edge to paint. I didn' remove the rubber pieces on the hood above the headlights cause those clips break and they can be easily be pulled back and masked. He knows this. His paint wouldn't have even came close to the piece of rubber pulled back. He's just an anal fruck so I got a good laugh when most of the clips on the rubber weren't reusable and we had to order 14 more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
OK Brian, then I'm glad we agree...if this guy gets a kick out of a post like this then he is an idiot and by idiot I mean "He doesn't know he doesn't know", A true Idiot in the true definition of idiot and it's hurting the shop with him inflicting his attitude on everyone around him, Common? I would hope not but still there and for the sake of employees and the new owner it needs to be dealt with. I would never take the side of anybody who left a masking tape note like the painter did when I'm working beside him on a daily basis. It's either a coward that left the note or as I mentioned, an idiot.
You're right, as I said, I have a problem with the same sort of thing so I didn't see it as bad as it was, thanks for pointing that out to me. I am BIG on SOP's and everyone following them. I wasn't clear and Henry having followed the RO there is nothing more to talk about, the guy was out of line, PERIOD.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 59
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Good stuff Brian...If only the painter would realize that a bigger man isn't always the one with the the biggest hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
first off.. did you bother to ASK the painter why he wants the inner liner on the other side removed?
he might be a dick to work with, but HIS work is what the customer SEE'S . not that you took off one fender and installed another..
are you mad, because he keeps sending back cars because the prep. isn't good enough...
the painter has the shop's best interest in mind.. if everything he does causes the paint job/repair to be better than what the vehicle owner thinks they'll get.. that brings in word of mouth work..
now, as seen as we are only getting one side of the story.. no one knows the whole story.. most parts installers, prep guys dislike the painters that always send cars back ,because they are not ready for color..
some shops don't have this issue because the one that repairs and preps the vehicle,is the one SHOOTING IT.. and if it looks like crap.. it's all on you..
in this case, if it looks like crap.. it's all on him.. as HE wasted product and hours shooting a car than now has to be redone.. sounds to me that he has the shops best interest in mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 646
Thanked 268 Times in 244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
I agree that your boss has the goods on this guy but you mentioned that this guy used to own the business and sold it to the current owner. I'm willing to bet there was some sort of arrangement when the business was sold that this jerk has to keep employment....keep that in mind when approaching your boss.


Vince
yep, trying to figure that one out. I think he has something on the boss that can be used against him. smart response and I'm on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
boatbob2
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: north florida
Age: 76
Posts: 1,377
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
SOME painters REALLY SUX !!!!!!!!!!

Picture this,i had a 53 Foot hatteras yacht,Sanded,Primed,and sanded the primer,A rep of a tool company came in,and wanted to demonstrate his new spray gun (on my customers boat) i said NO,customer said YES,I TOLD HIM TO PAY ME OFF,AND HE COULD DO WHATEVER HE WANTED,he paid me for the work i had done,and this clown painted the port side of the yacht using AWLGRIP,now,everyone who has EVER painted with AWLGRIP,knows you HAVE to spray a dust coat,wait 30 minutes,then spray the next coats.this IDIOT proceeded to spray the finish coats with NO dust coat,i hate to say there were runs,it was like a HUGE curtain, there were so many runs i couldnt even start to count them, i didnt tell him how to spray,i laughed at both of them, OH,i forgot,he also didnt put the catylst into the paint.so i went home. the customer called me next day,said paint didnt cure,i went back,doubled my price,told the customer to go home,and i would call him when i finished,after he left,i took 5 gallons of ACETONE and a scrub brush,took off all the uncatylized paint (maybe 3 hours work) then finished painting the hull. quick,easy money job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 59
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
first off.. did you bother to ASK the painter why he wants the inner liner on the other side removed?
he might be a dick to work with, but HIS work is what the customer SEE'S . not that you took off one fender and installed another..
are you mad, because he keeps sending back cars because the prep. isn't good enough...
the painter has the shop's best interest in mind.. if everything he does causes the paint job/repair to be better than what the vehicle owner thinks they'll get.. that brings in word of mouth work..
now, as seen as we are only getting one side of the story.. no one knows the whole story.. most parts installers, prep guys dislike the painters that always send cars back ,because they are not ready for color..
some shops don't have this issue because the one that repairs and preps the vehicle,is the one SHOOTING IT.. and if it looks like crap.. it's all on you..
in this case, if it looks like crap.. it's all on him.. as HE wasted product and hours shooting a car than now has to be redone.. sounds to me that he has the shops best interest in mind...
In my opinion the "Best interest of the shop" is to get the work done to the satisfaction of the customer in a timely manor. Personally I don't care what the painter's side is...leaving middle finger masking tape messages is in no way in the "Best interest of the shop".

The painter is fortunate that he still has a middle finger left and in order to keep this appendage he may want to rethink his method of requesting work that isn't on the RO.

I've had many Body men and Preppers that would bend over backwards to get the job finished to the standards that I wanted...I never left messages like this or spoke to co-workers in a way that was demeaning in order to get the results I wanted and needed. I do agree that in the Body shop business the painter is the last line of defense and in many ways he can control the daily regiment in the shop, but, how does this form of communication help the end results?

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 646
Thanked 268 Times in 244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
first off.. did you bother to ASK the painter why he wants the inner liner on the other side removed?
he might be a dick to work with, but HIS work is what the customer SEE'S . not that you took off one fender and installed another..
are you mad, because he keeps sending back cars because the prep. isn't good enough...
the painter has the shop's best interest in mind.. if everything he does causes the paint job/repair to be better than what the vehicle owner thinks they'll get.. that brings in word of mouth work..
now, as seen as we are only getting one side of the story.. no one knows the whole story.. most parts installers, prep guys dislike the painters that always send cars back ,because they are not ready for color..
some shops don't have this issue because the one that repairs and preps the vehicle,is the one SHOOTING IT.. and if it looks like crap.. it's all on you..
in this case, if it looks like crap.. it's all on him.. as HE wasted product and hours shooting a car than now has to be redone.. sounds to me that he has the shops best interest in mind...
I'm not his whipping boy. If HE wants to discuss something he can walk over and discuss it with me like a man. This has nothing to do with prepping, and if it was about something I'm doing wrong I'll gladly listen to what he's saying. That has never been a problem for me, not once. If it's work related criticism I'm the first to listen and even thank them for sharing the info/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I'm not his whipping boy. If HE wants to discuss something he can walk over and discuss it with me like a man. This has nothing to do with prepping, and if it was about something I'm doing wrong I'll gladly listen to what he's saying. That has never been a problem for me, not once. If it's work related criticism I'm the first to listen and even thank them for sharing the info/advice.
and you're so much better for doing it here..



maybe you should ask the boss if you can paint the cars..
there must be a reason, the boss employs him ..
instead of letting , say, you paint your repairs..
I got no dog in this fight.. and don't care.. but have seen enough of stuff like this to know, we are not getting the WHOLE story..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 646
Thanked 268 Times in 244 Posts
he needs me on the body side, and for the record, I'm not alone on this one. No one likes him there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 59
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
and you're so much better for doing it here..



maybe you should ask the boss if you can paint the cars..
there must be a reason, the boss employs him ..
instead of letting , say, you paint your repairs..
I got no dog in this fight.. and don't care.. but have seen enough of stuff like this to know, we are not getting the WHOLE story..
Why should he ask to paint the cars...he's not the painter and I don't think this is about who paints cars and who doesn't. It's about the way people are getting treated. I looked at the pictures and there isn't any excuse.

The reason the boss is still employing this guy, as discussed in earlier posts, may be because he has a contract with the painter after he bought the business from him, maybe he is green in the trade and doesn't understand or maybe he is afraid.

There are always 2 sides to every story and I would be much more apt to listen to the other side if there wasn't so much evidence against the painter. First off the painter needs to be held accountable for his actions as shown in the pictures, then and only then would I listen to another side.

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 10-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
he needs me on the body side, and for the record, I'm not alone on this one. No one likes him there.
did you miss the "we are only getting one side"
again, don't really care, but if what you say is true, why the boss not replaced him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 646
Thanked 268 Times in 244 Posts
the boss doesn't know crap and for the longest time listened to everything he was saying. He doesn't know better. He tried to replace him but he just hired the wrong guy. The guy had a drug issue and didn't pay close enough attention to detail. After that didn't work out he gave up and surrendered in a way. For the record, he's only making about 30k, which isn't much for a painter, and the reason the painter is still here is cause he knows he can't work for anyone else. No one will put up with it. He knows this and openly admitted it, but it still isn't enough to stop his attitude.

Bottom line, that's just the way it is. I conform to it for the most part and just let it slide right off my shoulders but was pissed off yesterday and wanted to vent out some anger, and who else would understand what was wrong with the message more than guys in my trade? So I vented. I feel better now. Not a biggie.

btw, isn't that avatar a gang rapist? He looks familiar. I've seen him on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm an idiot SAATR Hotrodders' Lounge 6 02-11-2008 09:24 PM
My buddy is an idiot! Mad Maggot Transmission - Rearend 16 05-26-2006 04:09 PM
Idiot lights not working... flipp121 Electrical 4 07-03-2005 01:03 AM
I'm an idiot... schnitz Hotrodders' Lounge 2 06-06-2005 07:21 AM
my idiot friends lookatme Hotrodders' Lounge 12 03-10-2003 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.