Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/off-topic/)
-   -   working with an idiot...what's your working with an idiot story? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/working-idiot-whats-your-working-idiot-story-225582.html)

tech69 10-30-2012 11:30 PM

working with an idiot...what's your working with an idiot story?

no one in our shop can stand the painter for more than a couple hours. He thinks he knows everything, walks around with this swagger as if he's the only person in the world that can do good work, and is generally difficult to work with for everybody. He's the type of guy that thinks he's "showing" you something every time he opens his mouth. I just go along with it cause if you act as confident as how sure you are on your own opinion he takes it as if you're trying to show him up or that you're trying to say he doesn't know what he's doing. In a nutshell, he's has a lot of issues that are directly on the surface. We all have issues at some time or another but we try to keep those emotions away from work. If he's having a bad day everyone knows it.

Anyhow, he told me to break down a door on a Honda and put on a fender. He also wanted me to take off the fender liner on the other side(not on side with new fender). So before I got on it the boss said I should overlook the workorder, So that's what I did. He writes my checks so I'm going with that.
So today I come into to work to this BS...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120493.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120494.jpg

I thought about leaving this on the car...nah, not worth it. Besides, he might try to do something later that might 100% qualify for a smackdown, and I'll gladly oblige.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120495.jpg

against all odds 10-31-2012 12:09 AM

i can't recall working with an idiot. What i seem to attract is jerks. Or rather people who bring their personal problems to work. But i've never actually worked with someone who was "not with it.'

One of my mottos is:
Managers = problems
Co-workers = problems

It seems like almost every single job i've there has been that one person that stretches the boundaries of sanity and causes unnecessary friction.

One good reason to try to start your own business. Of course there will be a new set of problems to deal with, but they are different from when you are a worker.

deckofficer 10-31-2012 02:17 AM

On a merchant ship if I'm sailing as the captain, I'm sure there are crew members who chaff under my direction and think of me as an idiot. But when I'm working on a drilling ship or a dynamically positioned drill rig I understand the rig manager is THE boss unless the company man (the representative of the oil company we are drilling for and being paid $200,000 per day) is onboard. The extent the rig manager will go to please the company man sometimes exceeds safe operating practices, and this is where my story for this topic starts. First, you have to understand why deckofficers are even needed on what is generally stationary vessels, holding their position with propulsion. These rigs because they are a 100 miles offshore and not tethered are considered vessels, and by international law require manning by unlimited tonnage deckofficers and engineers. The oil patch boys are not happy about outsiders not only on their turf, but earning more money and not going through the classic progression of roustabout, roughneck, asst driller, driller, asst rig manager, etc. The only time I would be THE boss is during a maritime emergency.

OK, after this long winded setup, time to share my idiot story. Rig manager in his attempts to please the company man wants the mud pits pressed up while enroute to the next drilling location so that we are ready to drill upon arrival. I have to tell him no for reasons of stability and this idiot argues with me, telling me there has never been a stability issue with all the mud pits pressed up. I have to agree but you never press up the mud pits before the LMRP (lower marine riser package which weighs 400 tons) is in place. When the derrick picks up the LMRP the CG (center of gravity) for those 400 tons is at the top of the derrick at the sheave. This idiot with his one week course in Stability tells me I'm wrong and the CG is 1/2 the height of the derrick. Shows the difference between what is learned in one week vs what is learned in a full semester. Because on a drill rig I'm only captain in name and the rig manager is THE boss, I have no choice but to tell him if he insists on his way then he needs to send the helicopter out to remove me from the rig before he tries this stunt. Thank goodness the company man, though not really knowing which of us was correct, did not want to pay $200K per day for a rig that would have to shut down until a licensed replacement could be found for me.

And that is my idiot's story. I know this topic wasn't a competition but if it was, an idiot that would have killed 105 souls onboard including the company man he was trying to impress would have to be right up there.

Here is 32,000 tons of drill rig that in high winds and strong currents can burn through 1000 gallons of diesel per hour just holding position.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...lemorning2.jpg

Irelands child 10-31-2012 07:32 AM

Tech - this is a case where you go to the boss, ask him to accompany you for a walk to the car, reminding him of the discussion of the previous day you had with him. Point out what you came to work to. The boss, I would bet, is well aware of this guy and is probably keeping track of how he works with others and might be looking for a reason or several to cut him loose. I didn't suffer with idiots before I retired. I either let the boss take care of it or handled it myself (and still do in my personal life). Do NOT get physical as not only he will suffer, but you will then have that black mark for future employment,

tech69 10-31-2012 09:42 AM

He sold the company to the boss but the friction between him and the boss is that he just doesn't respect the fact he doesn't own the company anymore. Totally takes advantage of the situation. It also seems like he takes advantage of the fact the boss doesn't really know what he's seeing and I get the impression he's trying to lead the boss to believe that without him things would fall apart.

On another occasion I had to walk a few doors down to the painter area to get a scuff pad or something and didn't close the cabinet all the way. This dude comes marching over there to remind me, so I told him with 1/4 th of the energy he wasted he could have done it himself and been back working.
What a tool, and he can't stand the fact a few people aren't gonna kiss his arse. I don't care how good a job is, it's never worth it when you have to accept someone's poor behavior day in day out.

monster76 10-31-2012 10:14 AM

You should write on his hood im sorry i was to busy looking at the back of your wifes head while she was bent over working on my parts and then put tape stick figures with them doing it... on second thought you handled it just fine

tech69 10-31-2012 10:38 AM

man, I left that middle finger on the hood but 2 minutes later I took if off as it wasn't worth it.

302 Z28 10-31-2012 11:04 AM

I agree that your boss has the goods on this guy but you mentioned that this guy used to own the business and sold it to the current owner. I'm willing to bet there was some sort of arrangement when the business was sold that this jerk has to keep employment....keep that in mind when approaching your boss.

Vince

69 widetrack 10-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1605344)
no one in our shop can stand the painter for more than a couple hours. He thinks he knows everything, walks around with this swagger as if he's the only person in the world that can do good work, and is generally difficult to work with for everybody. He's the type of guy that thinks he's "showing" you something every time he opens his mouth. I just go along with it cause if you act as confident as how sure you are on your own opinion he takes it as if you're trying to show him up or that you're trying to say he doesn't know what he's doing. In a nutshell, he's has a lot of issues that are directly on the surface. We all have issues at some time or another but we try to keep those emotions away from work. If he's having a bad day everyone knows it.

Anyhow, he told me to break down a door on a Honda and put on a fender. He also wanted me to take off the fender liner on the other side(not on side with new fender). So before I got on it the boss said I should overlook the workorder, So that's what I did. He writes my checks so I'm going with that.
So today I come into to work to this BS...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120493.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120494.jpg

I thought about leaving this on the car...nah, not worth it. Besides, he might try to do something later that might 100% qualify for a smackdown, and I'll gladly oblige.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120495.jpg

Oh Boy...I call this painter's head...Usually it's an overzealous, younger person but I have seen it in the older not so mature, low self esteem character. They feel they know it all.

I had a situation when I was a Rep and a competitor came in telling the owner of the shop how good he was, how he could improve productivity with his product and how he was going to use his vast knowledge to retrain his painting crew and revolutionize his shop. The owner took me aside and asked what I thought of this individual. My answer was simple, I told the owner "If your as good as you say you are, you don't have to say anything at all".

The shop stayed mine, the competitor Rep was gone and a short time later looking for work else where.

Usually these guys don't last that long, in your case, because he used to own the shop may be there longer than anybody can stand and it may eventually destroy the shop. Maybe show the owner this thread with all the post. He might get a sense of urgency and remedy the situation.

Bin there
Ray

69 widetrack 10-31-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1605442)
I agree that your boss has the goods on this guy but you mentioned that this guy used to own the business and sold it to the current owner. I'm willing to bet there was some sort of arrangement when the business was sold that this jerk has to keep employment....keep that in mind when approaching your boss.

Vince

Your 100% right Vince, maybe a group sit down with owner is in order. One individual should never be greater than the whole.

MARTINSR 10-31-2012 11:32 AM

Well I have to say, I though this thread was a waste of bandwidth and only would create a *****ing session. But it has already been a value to me. I lean in the direction of the painter you are complaining about, why, because I like to follow an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and when EVERYONE follows that SOP that has been agreed upon the shop, operating room, kitchen, HOME, race track, lab, etc. runs smoother for EVERYONE.

It's like writing the RO number on a part before it's put out in scrap area, no one has to think, no one has to ask "What car does this go to, can it be thrown out now?" When EVERY car is torn down to the RO (following that pesky law stuff, I love handcuffs) then there are no questions. When the RO is followed and the car is disassembled before a suppl is done, then EVERY clip and such that could get broken is included in that suppl and there is ONE parts order, and those parts are waiting in the parts room when reassembly is done and there are no fires to put out.

These are things that help EVERYONE get cars out the gate, because after all that IS when we get paid, when the car leaves. Some people get hung up on, "What's in it for me" not realizing ANYTHING done to move the car out the gate IS for him.

When your painter came in to work on the car and saw that it wasn't ready, what is he suppose to do? Now, if there was a note on the car that said "The boss told me to leave these things on", then the painter goes, "OK, that sucks but I need to get on with it and mask it" and he gets on with the job. But when he comes in and sees that it isn't ready as he understood it to be so he could get it painted, what does he do? I don't know if he comes in before you or what, but I can see this note being left as a perfectly acceptable means of communication. I can also see it being totally over the top and you are dead right that he has issues. That would be if he saw it, and instead of going and getting you and discussing it, he lets the car set and writes his cartoons all over it and then just waits for you or the boss to see it, THAT would be ignorant.

But things like this usually go both ways. I personally, I am working very hard at loosing all that crap from MY personality as I am the only person I can change. I have no control over the others, only myself.

And like I said, I see myself in him, and it isn't pretty.

Brian

69 widetrack 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Brian, I disagree with you. If this painter had the shop's best interest in mind he would go about things differently and still get the job done with a better atmosphere. When I was painting the first goal I had was to get the Body men and Preppers on side with what the daily objectives where. Early morning meetings so that we all new how the flow of the day was going to happen. Give praise when deserved and encouragement when things didn't go as planned. It's called team work, individual employees trying to inflict their personal agenda is a recipe for disaster...Leaving little masking tape instructions with "I looked you right in the eye" messages would piss anybody off. Why not go up to Henry and say I need it done this way because....would that not work better, it would if I was Henry.

Ray

MARTINSR 10-31-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1605456)
Brian, I disagree with you. If this painter had the shop's best interest in mind he would go about things differently and still get the job done with a better atmosphere. When I was painting the first goal I had was to get the Body men and Preppers on side with what the daily objectives where. Early morning meetings so that we all new how the flow of the day was going to happen. Give praise when deserved and encouragement when things didn't go as planned. It's called team work, individual employees trying to inflict their personal agenda is a recipe for disaster...Leaving little masking tape instructions with "I looked you right in the eye" messages would piss anybody off. Why not go up to Henry and say I need it done this way because....would that not work better, it would if I was Henry.

Ray

Ray, you aren't disagreeing with me at all! It depends on the shops chemistry as to whether something like this would be ok, there are times when it would be. But I agree, in this case, he KNOWS it's not going to work in the best interest of the shop, as Henry being so upset to post here about it I am SURE wouldn't be a big surprise to the guy, and in fact he would probably love seeing that he got to Henry so bad.

If I gave the impression that what he did was the right thing to do I am sorry and don't feel that way at all. What my point was more about what did Henry do wrong? BOTH were active players in this drama. Yes the painter MUCH more so, but neither is playing on the same team. As I said, I have done similar things on both the painters and Henry's side. I have a hard time with the "rebel" that refuses to work with you, but as I said, I can only change myself. And that is why I am working on it right now big time. I have a book at home that I am reading the same page, over and over and over. I am coming to work with that in my head every day, because I can only change me, that is all I can change.

Brian

tech69 10-31-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1605451)
Well I have to say, I though this thread was a waste of bandwidth and only would create a *****ing session. But it has already been a value to me. I lean in the direction of the painter you are complaining about, why, because I like to follow an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and when EVERYONE follows that SOP that has been agreed upon the shop, operating room, kitchen, HOME, race track, lab, etc. runs smoother for EVERYONE.

It's like writing the RO number on a part before it's put out in scrap area, no one has to think, no one has to ask "What car does this go to, can it be thrown out now?" When EVERY car is torn down to the RO (following that pesky law stuff, I love handcuffs) then there are no questions. When the RO is followed and the car is disassembled before a suppl is done, then EVERY clip and such that could get broken is included in that suppl and there is ONE parts order, and those parts are waiting in the parts room when reassembly is done and there are no fires to put out.

These are things that help EVERYONE get cars out the gate, because after all that IS when we get paid, when the car leaves. Some people get hung up on, "What's in it for me" not realizing ANYTHING done to move the car out the gate IS for him.

When your painter came in to work on the car and saw that it wasn't ready, what is he suppose to do? Now, if there was a note on the car that said "The boss told me to leave these things on", then the painter goes, "OK, that sucks but I need to get on with it and mask it" and he gets on with the job. But when he comes in and sees that it isn't ready as he understood it to be so he could get it painted, what does he do? I don't know if he comes in before you or what, but I can see this note being left as a perfectly acceptable means of communication. I can also see it being totally over the top and you are dead right that he has issues. That would be if he saw it, and instead of going and getting you and discussing it, he lets the car set and writes his cartoons all over it and then just waits for you or the boss to see it, THAT would be ignorant.

But things like this usually go both ways. I personally, I am working very hard at loosing all that crap from MY personality as I am the only person I can change. I have no control over the others, only myself.

And like I said, I see myself in him, and it isn't pretty.

Brian

The RO said not to take the parts off and the boss said to go by the RO. If anyone's trying to be a team player here it's me. Unlike him, I do what the boss says and even if it's something I don't agree with. If I have a gripe I will explain why but never do I think I'm above the team nor do I do stupid things to escalate the situation, I just stand my ground once in a while to give him the hint that I don't really care for his issues and ego. For the most part it has worked but once in a while he'll fling some crap my way, like with this situation. The bottom line, writing little notes on cars is NOT how you go about communicating with your coworkers, unless the man thinks he's god's gift to the world.

MARTINSR 10-31-2012 12:07 PM

Let me make it clear what I originally said.

Brian