Hot Rod Forum banner

Working out my upholstery design for my 1928 rod

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  CousinVinny 
#1 ·
If you can make your self a drawing.
Trying to think ahead some on what to do helps on my old rod this time,I know I will not put it back all black like it was=too hot to set on,but back then the black vinyl was a free-B from Nuwt.:D
Anyway I'm painting rod the same way :cool:,all hi gloss black,with yellow motor.
Thinking black and yellow upholstery to match. But this time with, were we're sitting mostly yellow with black outer framing.
Here how I'm working out my ideas.
I'm liking #2 best cuz door/side panel,n kick match seat best,both have two yellow roll-n-plates panels.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Both those are nice,I like them also one color the way ya did insides WOW,plus yu'all have two sharp "T"s built very cool! Some shiny paint wound be a lot less probs to keep clean,but it is kind of the trend now days,pretty cool the paint Co.s can now make primer looking paint that dose not rust through,it did back in the 1950's and 60's when I strated building rods,some times even before we could get the nice shiny paint on,primer was not thought of as a finish then,at lest now liking the unfinshed look lets you keep it that way,an't new tech cool!:thumbup:
I'm not yet ready for doing my upholstery,but thinking about it. Working on my old 1928 body,getting ready for some high gloss black,same as my frame and it was way back, I'm doing all my own work,same as when I built first 1959 ;,even do the upholstery my self. I have added a new rack to the back that holds on with two big wingnuts,its for my wifes wheelchair when she comes along. Planning on staining an varinsh the dash and cockpit lip to kind of match up with rack and the new steeringwheel.:thumbup:

Attachments

#8 ·
Finely finished up my interior,feels good running down the road.
Would of been much EZer if I'd had a walking foot sewingmachine,but the old slipper foot with some tricks did get it done.

Attachments

#9 ·
folding top

Next step is making my own folding top,I don't really like tops:pain:,so it an't going to be on much. But I'm in south Florida and there times I'll need it.:spank:
So I started out with two 3/4in. sticks of EMT as home made bows and a wood header I made. Now I'm playing with sewing up yards of tan Sunbrela{Bimin top stuff]

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
rear folding top window

I made the rear window,snap n velcro shut,an so it rolls up an holds in place with 2 small straps that snap/straps mounted to the back bow under top with same screw that holds the snap on the outside,it dose have a nylon washer under the snap so snap will not cut top.:welcome: By the way,this took 2 running yards [64" wide]for this top,there was no extra left over,I cut that to close,if I had made a mistake,I would had to go all the way back to store for more

Attachments

#14 ·
These things always need something,I added a kind of glovebox,well a pocket anyway over in the kickpanel of the right side. I used some alum sheet to make a "U" shape too add / glue the black vinyl to,folded the top over and stitch two rows to make it look good with about 6in. of top underware rubberband to gather it up at top.. Mounted it with 4 screws an finish washers. Should hold stuff like sunglass ect.:cool:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.