World Product Sportsman Heads Sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

World Product Sportsman Heads Sbc

Are these World Product Sportsman Heads worth $600 ?

straight plug heads

they have comp cams s/s valves 202/160 200cc intake runner 64cc combustion chamber and screw in studs with 10 degree locks dual valve springs. heads are setup for hyd cam with max lift 525

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wpsh2.jpg
Views:	4130
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	30169   Click image for larger version

Name:	wpsh1.jpg
Views:	4331
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	30170  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Search them out at Summit and compare.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

well I guess I'm asking are they a good performance head ? what aftermarket performance head are the equivalent to ?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Those look rather new. Or rebuilt with new valves. $600 complete is not TOO bad. I'd wave $500 under his nose...

I have an engine with these very heads- except mine are the angle plug versions. Later I installed all bronze guides because of some wear, but other than that, they are still on the engine and doing well.

Performance is just crazy good. They are in my estimation 20 times better than any first generation GM head. For the cash outlay, it often baffles me as to why people still insist on spending as much and sometime MORE on Stock castings, when they can have a really good set of Sportsman II's. The intakes are beautiful right out of the box, bowl area and all. The exhausts I worked on some, but are pretty good out of the box as well. I use the Sportsman II dual plane as well- a killer combo.

I do not have a dyno sheet, so I won't talk numbers but if you bolt these on a 10 to 1 roller short block, you will be pleasantly surprised.

It just occurred to me, they could be the older Sportsmans too. They brought out the 2's sometime later. Either way, you'd like them, I think.

Last edited by C-10; 05-23-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I have some Sportsman IIs, they seem to be decent. But then again, I don't have any experiences with other heads to compare them against. They do have fairly big ports (200cc intakes) and it seems that many other heads with smaller ports flow nearly as much or, in some cases, more than the Sportsman IIs. Of course those other heads seem to cost ~$200 more than the Sportmans.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
68 Camaro 383

Last photo:

The sportsman II heads have nice 200cc runners and plenty of meat for porting. They actually require porting to get them flowing really well. A very nice quality cast iron head. I use to have some double humps that had all the work done to them and these are way better. Much more modern design.

Here are some pic and spec of the combo that I am using them on:
http://web.mac.com/gjnavarro/iWeb/Camaro/engine.html
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

I ran a set of the Summit-prepared Sportsmans on my old 408cid 1st mud truck. They were 2.05/1.6 and portmatched to a 1205 intake gasket. On the outside, they looked exactly like a stock head and they had a custom 284/288 mechanical roller with .612"/.598" lift on a 112 LSA. They fed the 10.84cr motor at my shift points of 6800rpm. Good heads for the $800 I paid for them 3 years ago and easily beat the S/R Torquers I did have on it
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
well I guess I'm asking are they a good performance head ? what aftermarket performance head are the equivalent to ?
They have a 200cc runner but they don't flow anything near what a more currently designed 200cc runner does. They have an absolutely terrible exhaust port and the chamber on them is really nothing to write home about. It's quite an old style aftermarket head. Compared to a stock 70's chevy head it's an upgrade, but that's about it.

A much better performance buy on the budget would be a set of Vortecs. For a few hundred more you can step up to an entry level aluminum head from Patriot or shop around for a used set of Performer RPM's.

To me, that set of heads is worth no more than $300, simply because it's just not a great aftermarket cylinder head.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.