worst jerry rigging on a vehicle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

worst jerry rigging on a vehicle

We have been working on getting the 63 C-10 running for a few days. I have noticed some off the rigging on that truck. It has no brakes because it has a rubber brake hose, instead of a regular radiator hose it has two short pieces of hose and about a foot off pipe in between. The starter would not engage then I realized there was only one bolt holding it on, the headlights are held in with coat hangers. That's about all I can think off now. I am glad I am only using the motor. There is no telling what other weird fixes are on it. What is the worst rigging you have ever seen

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

My dad had a Ford Courier pickup ( Mazda B1800 ). The shifter broke so he yanked it out, and to shift it after that, he jammed a crow bar down in the hole to catch the gears.

I looked at a '66 F-100 that had a 200 6cyl engine in it, the Mustang/ Falcon chassis mounts were welded to some 1" black iron pipe, and that was welded to the X member.. duct tape held the inner fenders togther, and a peice of wood wedged between the floor and the trans X member held the cab somewhat square ( paper thin floors, no rockers, nothing was holding it togther ).. It had a nice frame and box, but I didn't want to look for a cab and front sheetmetal

BTW
2 Radiator hoses with a pipe in between was common in some factory applications, truck like that would have 3 rubber brake hoses right from the factory. 2 in front 1 on each side, and 1 on the diff. what kind of hose are we talking?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

The radiator hose is nothing special. It goes from the top part off the radiator to the intake. You could easily put a regular rubber hose on it. It has about a 3inch piece clamped to the radiator. One end of the pipe is claped to this and there is a short piece of rubber hose off the inatke and the pipe clamps to it.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fords
instead of a regular radiator hose it has two short pieces of hose and about a foot off pipe in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
2 Radiator hoses with a pipe in between was common in some factory applications, truck like that would have 3 rubber brake hoses right from the factory. 2 in front 1 on each side, and 1 on the diff. what kind of hose are we talking?
Like Matt167 said, the radiator hose thing might not be anything to worry about. My 1972 Blazer came that way, the original pipe in place of the upper radiator hose still has the factory part numbers stamped into it.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Reading this I was thinking (dang this sounds like some Bama back woods rigging)! Then I see it is. No surprise.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

typo lol

I'll have to concur with Blazin72...I have 3 old GMC's a 69burb 2 71 pickups and they all 3 have the same pipe and 2 short hoses for the upper radiator neck to thermostat housing. As for a rubber brake line every vehicle i have ever had has had at least one. Like from rear end housing to frame...
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

Anything I do on one could be classified Jerry Rigged.
Have a nice day! Jerry
Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I ripped apart a trailer running light to get the center socket, then sheet metal screwed it to the inside housing of a taillight, so I didn't have to fix the socket.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicautoresto
Have a nice day! Jerry

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicautoresto
Have a nice day! Jerry
Years ago me and my friend went down to milwaukee to pick up and tow back a parts car. I Bought the car from a black guy whos name was jerry. My friends says, now just be carefull what you say when we hook it up, don't say jerry rig or n rig.
It wasn't really the nicest part of town where it was located. Turned out to be quite the interesting adventure for two scrawny white kids who went to high school out in the country that didn't have any blacks attending. One guy hits my friend up for a buck as soon as we get out of the truck, and then when we are hooking it up, another guy stops seeing us hooking it up to a tow dolly, and asks if someone stole our car, because someone stole his truck last week.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Take it easy on Jerry... the correct term is "Jury Rigging"

According to Wikipedia, it refers to makeshift repairs or temporary contrivances, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand. Originally a nautical term, on sailing ships a jury rig is a replacement mast and yards improvised in case of damage or loss of the original mast.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 AM
FORDGUY

Last photo:

my truck was full of hillbilly technology. I have spent the past 2 years undoing what the pos P/O had done. he put the thing together and didnt care if the parts actually WORK together or not. if the oil could be changed or the driveshaft fit or brake calipers clear the rotors... its like he threw it together and didnt see that it doesnt work like that.

MOST people would see that the drive shaft is too long and binds up and will do something about it. a reasonable person will see the rotor doesnt turn because of teh caliper and then look to see why it doesnt turn and fix it. I have seen too many half assed jobs on my truck to thing it was just a "mistake". why do it and not do it right? [/rant]
Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

there was a little flatfender Jeep CJ (regular metal cab 2 foot box, it looked funny) with a plow and a lot of rust for sale I saw a couple years ago...

the body mounts were chunks of 2x4. I have pics on my computer at home, so if anyone's interested send me an email or a PM, since I'm sure I'll forget to check back and post them.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I thought in todays politicly correct world it was called Afro-Engineering.
My 79F-100 had 2 bucket seats out of a Dodge truck. I changed the motor from the 300-6cylinder to a 400M , but not the motorr mounts --- I just stacked up about a dozen washers on each bolt under the shorter of the two to even the height out for the V8.
Put in a dodge radiator and the return line on it was on the wrong side for the Ford water pump . So I took two radiator hoses , a short piece of steel fence post , inserted the post into each hose as a coupler , clamped it together and it worked like that for years.
There are other "mods" that I made , but those two stand out in my mind this morning
Like Ben Franklin said: "Do what you can with what you have , where you are" .
I've been called 'McGuiver' on more than one occasion.
Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Mike, do you still do bodywork too???

In a while, Chet.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.