Is it worth $500?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is it worth $500??

I am looking for a posi rear end for my 80 Caprice Classic. Deciding that I don't want to just stick in a posi unit into the stock 7.5" rear I would look for something else. I went to one of the local wreckers today and they have a newer bubble caprice there. It's an ex cop car and they said it is a G80, with a posi 3.42's and disks. They want $500 Canadian for it. Is that comparable to what you guys might be charged? Also they didn't want to take apart the front end parts. Since I want the same wheel sizes (5x5 or 5x4.75), I would want the dust shields and calipers etc. This would also upgrade the front disks to 12's. I don't want the spindles because I want to get drop spindles. Should I pass on it or try and work a deal? Thanks

Jason

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

$500 is a pretty good price for a disc brake rear. Pull the cover and check the fluid for metal though. If the rotors are thin you may want to replace them and rebuild the calipers.
How much for the front corners and what year are they? If they are '95 or '96 cop car the lower ball stud will not work on your earlier Caprice anyway. GM replaced the standard 1/2" lower stud with the 5/8" one from the astro's for warranty issues. The other thing to think about is, if you have to replace ANYTHING from the junkyard corners, you would probably be farther ahead to just buy the parts brand new or rebuilt. The dust shields can be had at a GM dealer and is the only thing that wouldn't be a parts store part... The rest of the "cop car" stuff will bolt onto your lowered spindle.
Mark
Old 03-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that info. If I don't end up taking any of the front parts off, then I would get new. Basically right now I really want to find a rear end. For the front upgrade correct me if I'm wrong. I think I can use my stock lower arms, buy drop spindles, get the dust shields/calipers/rotors from a newer caprice, but I heard that the upper arms would need to be changed as well. Global West or Hotchkis I believe. Am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Why would you want to change the uppers? Everything will bolt up just fine and the new drop spindles shouldn't alter anything other then height. If you are thinking about optimizing the geometry for road racing, new upper arms aren't going to alter anything other then camber gain and that 'ole boat Caprice will not care because it will never handle like a full on race car anyway. Use the stock arms, clean them, paint them and throw some polygraphite bushings into it... It'll handle nice and crisp and can be done cheap...
Mark
Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Sounds good to me. I want to do it on the cheap like everything, but without cutting corners. So for now I will work on getting the rear end hopefully. The stock 2.41 open diff out back just ain't cutting it for me. I'm hoping that I can get my dad to talk them down a little on the price. He seems to get pretty good deals. Will probably go back tomorrow and talk to them about it, but I will pull the cover before paying. Thanks for the ideas.

Jason
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Even though there was not the G80 code on the spid in the trunk, they insisted it was posi. They first said it had 3.42 gears, but I got 3.08 from the spid as well which is stock. Had them take the diff cover off, and they discovered that it was not a posi rear end. Asked me if I still wanted it, but obviously I am after one because of the posi. So still looking. Thanks for the help though.

Jason
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Before you buy, check Ebay and these websites. In general you can find those rears for less than $500. I've seen them as cheap as $150

http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/Forum2005/

http://lt1tech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.gmeternal.com/default.asp?PID=9

The first two are 94-96 Impala SS forums and we often swap out for different axles leaving our stock ones to rot. They tend to be cheaper, and they came stock with 3.08s and a posi.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

Thanks. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, so that was $500 cad. If I can find something from down south decently priced, then the battle becomes getting it shipped. There are so many people who will just flat out not ship to Canada.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.