Hot Rod Forum banner

worth fixing??

802 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CNC-Dude 
#1 ·
:confused: I have an 010 block and after taking head off and oil pan I found a crack about 2 inches from left to right by the antifreeze drain plug. It is about 1/2 inch from the oil pan on the left side(facing the pulley side and 1/2 inch above the oil pan lip. It is only in the fluid journal. The guy I bought it from said it had never leaked in the 10 years he ran the motor. It was full of antifreeze and not leaking. Just wondering if I put J B Weld on the out side if it would hold if it indeed began to leak if I installed it and ran it? I could try to put it on the inside as well. I dont want to replace the block but will if I have to. What about liquid steel?? :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

#2 ·
It depends on the depth of the crack. I seen one block with a crack from freeze plug to freeze plug on the side of the block and it never leaked a drop and it`s still being ran today. Problem is, there`s no way to know how deep the crack is. My best advice would be to have it pressure tested.

#3 ·
Dunno, if it were mine I don't think I'd bother considering those blocks are everywhere... I think I have 3 or 5 of them empty. Whenever I find a good one I try to snatch it up. Post a pic of your crack if possible. Once, in the wayback, I left a brand new sbc on a run stand full of water. Well, over the weekend heat went out and the temp was about low teens to single digit. There I was, staring at those two hunks (each side) blown out right about where you say your crack is. I'd suspect something along those lines. I can tell you one thing, cracks do not go away or get smaller. You could stitch the block, but why, given the availability?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.