Hot Rod Forum banner

worth getting?

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  matty 
#1 ·
A few houses down from me there is an old "Z" (thast what the decal on teh hood says..im not too sure on exactly what it is). It has some places where the body is rusted through, the paint job is cruddy and chipping, and a window is busted out. Not sure if it runs or not, but its been sitting there for a while. Anyone think its worth checking out and maybe tinkering around with on the inside...before i mess up my daily drive? Any tips before i spend money on it would help, thanks :D

#3 ·
If it is in good shape, I would says hells yea. Those cars are so much fun to play with. The handling on them is awesome, and for a 2.4/2.8/3.0 they moved quite nicely. A cool car if you are into road racing at all. Parts are a pain in the bum to find though, and are kinda on the high side. If you get it drop a line I know of a few good places on the EC to get parts and service.

Matty

#4 ·
frog,

by what you described i would say stay away from that thing. It sounds like it needs too much. And if its been there awhile then you don't know what you're getting. Sound like it might be a 280Z or 300Z. My buddy bought a 300Z for $3500, drove it for about 3 months and the motor crapped out. He still hasn't fixed it because it would cost about $2000 to fix. Also, he had to take it in for a recall on a fuel problem because the previous owner neglected to do so. But, apart from that i would avoid a car like that as a first car because parts are expensive. Buy something domestic, there's lots of them around and parts are cheaper.

JB

#10 ·
A little clarifacation..those ricer :) Z's are worth the buy if they are in good shape, depending on your goals. Most are sixes, but all are rear wheel drive and they handle awesome. I used to autocross once in a while and those things were great at it. As far as late model cars a 240SX is a damn fine low end sports car and a 300ZXTT would smoke most stock F-bodies, not sure about the SS/WS6 and not counting an SLP. It would certainly outhandle a stock F-body if the driver knew how to properly handle the 4-wheel steering. My .02 cents

#13 ·
I've got a buddy that puts 350 sbc in the Z cars, the last one was a lt1 motor, the first time he drove it he had to change his chonies. awesomely fast, kits are made for the conversion, and it's a clean looking fit under the hood. Dan

#18 ·
I may drive an inport, be a prime member in a inport car club, but rest assured I have felt the power of a blown small block with open headers in a F-body. I got the insurance rate to prove it :eek: My parents bug me about my driving habits, saying the the company will drop me. Hell no....I alone pay half of them bums saleries.
Why do you not have an interior.......well officer, my friend uses way to much hairspray and my other friend accdently lit her hair on fire with a butt and the back seats got toasted as well....and well I have to wait for the new carpets to match the new seats, you know how it is officer. True story, got busted for loud and objectionable noise and the cop gave me a hard time. Yea bust the kid with the tubs, but leave the a-hole who drives up and down my street at 2:00AM with the bass crancked alone. Right.....

#23 ·
You guys might enjoy this. We had some fun at my friends shop today. He calls me up this afternoon and asks for my help. He bought a slavaged sentra for $200 and needed to do some work to it. He said it would only take a few minutes. Well it did. He put the sentra in gear and the E-brake on. He then ran a chain in one side of the gril around the transaxle and out the other side. Both were linked to the hooks on the back of his F-350 dump body. As I was scratching my head, he floored the truck and the motor came out, throught the grill, hood and all. The transaxle, axle, trany and all came with it. When I asked him why he did this, he answered "cause it just felt right" That boy ain't right....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.