Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Worthwhile upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
If your going to 800 hp you will probably want to buy a frame. The cost is not bad if you got garage space i would start with a frame on jack stands and build one part at a time.

Helped a friend frame off an impala and another make one out of bits on an aftermarket frame and just all black sep them big old bumpers. The one built out of bits was alot cheaper. It was also a crap load of work but did not include a 5-10k price for a rust pile that will cost more to fix than buying one fully restored. So in some cases its much cheaper to start with some tape on the garage floor than wait for the perfect doner only to spend months of go fast time covered in rust and dust. That being said clearly some corners were cut to make the cheap ride but it was still cool and still fun to drive. He used stock corvette drive train in his.

Hope that helps. With 800 hp im sure your going to want to be sure of whats under the car is strong enough to hold that kind of power. I have also noticed that even the purest is starting to agree with some modern improvements to brakes and suspension so it really doesnt kill the resale either. Now a days for myself i am looking for unrestored surviors or something i can take out and beat on. The concours restore job does nothing for me these days.
Lol......the 800hp imp is nothing but a lottery dream....2 high school kids, 2 dogs, a wife, and a big morgage means its all about maximum fun for minimal cash. Believe me, if cash wasn't an issue I would have 2 C3's, one like this.....

And one like this