Worthwhile upgrade? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
That rant not withstanding, if I could afford it, I would have a full size late 60's impala, with a low compression SBC, fuel injection and twins,....having 800hp, a smooth idle, and a sleeper vibe is also hugely cool....but I haven't figured out how to make people give me money for absolutely no reason yet.
Reveira or catalina? Impala is still doable since most Engien/suspension part are the same if you find an impala body later on. Still use the sbc and the twins...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimpala View Post
After your explanation above about what you really want^^^^I withdraw my opinion about your present cam and defer to the experts. Sorry about that, I mistakenly thought we were talking more about a daily driver. Good luck with your build, Bill.
Its all good Bill.....I daily drove (summer time) my Malibu wagon, 355, T5 and 411's...and for me, it lost some of its appeal....I learned that leaving it in the garage 2 or 3 days a week just made getting home, or the weekends so much more fun looking forward to jumping in it and hearing it come to life.....I'm a little different then most tho, I recognize that lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

While the Howards cams are really really really good , and you can go to their site and see all about them
and that one is one of the good ones (needs the springs). , I'm sticking to my recomendation,
(It suits the 3000 stall and short headers better.)
on the specific Lunati/UD harold cam for your car. Its the right cam for your car.
Don't car if its a few more dollars to buy. You can use anybodys solid lifters on it. Isky, Lunati, Howards
Crane, GMPP, I don;t care.

(by saying "Rule the Streets" be clear I do all my racing at the track. I insist all my friends do to... And we do.
But we do enjoy the cruise scene, which is very active here)( And the track is never too far away and always accommodating)

Howards Cams Another really good camshaft company. IMHO

I believe this UDHarold/ Ultrdyne cam can be gottin thru Howards too as a custom grind. You have to call them.
You can get it thru Bullet Cams too. They have all the Ultradyne cams.

Google search UDHAROLD
Harold Brookshire
and Ultradyne Cams for background. He is the cam designer that did all the High Energy, Extreme Energy, Voodoo cams.
He has Super Voodoo designs and more that are not even published yet.
He has been and still is designing some of the best street hi perf and serious racing cams for various cam companies (all the majors at one time or another) , including his own former Company Ultradyne Cams for many many years.
You can order this cam and all his grinds from Him direct, if you want.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-10-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Reveira or catalina? Impala is still doable since most Engien/suspension part are the same if you find an impala body later on. Still use the sbc and the twins...
65 imp is my dream car.....that and a 46/47 ford coupe.... Nick Scavo and Fat Jack Robinson were huge influences for me.....an 8 sec 10.5 tire full size ride.....or fat rendered race car that looked like a typical poser pro street car.....mmmmm.....perfect
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
While the Howards cams are really really really good , and you can go to their site and see all about them
and that one is one of the good ones (needs the springs). , I'm sticking to my recomendation,
(It suits the 3000 stall and short headers better.)
on the specific Lunati/UD harold cam for your car. Its the right cam for your car.
Don't car if its a few more dollars to buy. You can use anybodys solid lifters on it. Isky, Lunati, Howards
Crane, I don;t care.

(by saying "Rule the Streets" be clear I do all my racing at the track. I insist all my friends do to... And we do.
But we do enjoy the cruise scene, which is very active here)( And the track is never too far away and always accommodating)

Howards Cams Another really good camshaft company. IMHO
Perfect, like I said, i trust your judgment, will call Monday and get some pricing....and are solids harder on valve springs then a hyd cam?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

No . no harder but a solid lifter cam can and usually does have a more agressive lift profile.
Needs good springs. Here is your required reading.
Harvey Crane's Cam School & harvey CRANE, Inc.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
65 imp is my dream car.....that and a 46/47 ford coupe.... Nick Scavo and Fat Jack Robinson were huge influences for me.....an 8 sec 10.5 tire full size ride.....or fat rendered race car that looked like a typical poser pro street car.....mmmmm.....perfect
If your going to 800 hp you will probably want to buy a frame. The cost is not bad if you got garage space i would start with a frame on jack stands and build one part at a time.

Helped a friend frame off an impala and another make one out of bits on an aftermarket frame and just all black sep them big old bumpers. The one built out of bits was alot cheaper. It was also a crap load of work but did not include a 5-10k price for a rust pile that will cost more to fix than buying one fully restored. So in some cases its much cheaper to start with some tape on the garage floor than wait for the perfect doner only to spend months of go fast time covered in rust and dust. That being said clearly some corners were cut to make the cheap ride but it was still cool and still fun to drive. He used stock corvette drive train in his.

Hope that helps. With 800 hp im sure your going to want to be sure of whats under the car is strong enough to hold that kind of power. I have also noticed that even the purest is starting to agree with some modern improvements to brakes and suspension so it really doesnt kill the resale either. Now a days for myself i am looking for unrestored surviors or something i can take out and beat on. The concours restore job does nothing for me these days.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
If your going to 800 hp you will probably want to buy a frame. The cost is not bad if you got garage space i would start with a frame on jack stands and build one part at a time.

Helped a friend frame off an impala and another make one out of bits on an aftermarket frame and just all black sep them big old bumpers. The one built out of bits was alot cheaper. It was also a crap load of work but did not include a 5-10k price for a rust pile that will cost more to fix than buying one fully restored. So in some cases its much cheaper to start with some tape on the garage floor than wait for the perfect doner only to spend months of go fast time covered in rust and dust. That being said clearly some corners were cut to make the cheap ride but it was still cool and still fun to drive. He used stock corvette drive train in his.

Hope that helps. With 800 hp im sure your going to want to be sure of whats under the car is strong enough to hold that kind of power. I have also noticed that even the purest is starting to agree with some modern improvements to brakes and suspension so it really doesnt kill the resale either. Now a days for myself i am looking for unrestored surviors or something i can take out and beat on. The concours restore job does nothing for me these days.
Lol......the 800hp imp is nothing but a lottery dream....2 high school kids, 2 dogs, a wife, and a big morgage means its all about maximum fun for minimal cash. Believe me, if cash wasn't an issue I would have 2 C3's, one like this.....

And one like this
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Hey f-bird, spent all day looking at Isky stuff, what your opinion on
Isky Hi-Rev Series Oval Track Solid Flat Tappet Camshafts 201525 - SummitRacing.com
525a, seems like it should have a wide power band and be pretty snotty on a 106. Is my 3000 stall and 411's enough? Just wondering what your thoughts were?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

needs a 10" 3500+ stall and long tube headers and the right Isky springs. I told you you need the 10" 3500 stall converter, didn't I.
Its a powerfull cam with the right stuff.... but a bit much for your purpose.

The Lunati is the right camshaft for the job with what you got, and what you are trying to achieve. I B-T-D-T with this kind of stuff. This cam has a nicer nature that you won't get tired of. You will enjoy your car. its got plenty of thump. a will make lots of power and torque right where you need it.
Especially when you tighten up the valve lash a bit.

If you want a Isky brand camshaft similar to this they can custom make you one.
They have very similar isky "hi-rev" solid cam lobes well suited to that. All you need to do is call Isky.

Isky cam lobes #S-574 intake and #S-404 exhaust ground on a 110LSA or 112LSA for your car and exhaust system.
Use a isky 235D valve spring at least.

The catalog cams are just a small sample of whats available.

If you want to use a snotty 106 LSA cam get long tube headers. and a 3500+ converter... Ya it matters.
The cam and headers-exhaust system must be a good match. They work together.
The 106LSA cams need a loose converter stall to idle correctly in gear.
Do not get all carried away, you won't like it.

You can download and check out the Isky cam lobe charts. Do not get all nuts on valve lift with a near stock valve train on your 305 heads. It won't work.

If you want a cam recomendation: call Isky Cams and ask for one. Do you tell them what cam you want. Cause if you do that , thats the cam you will get. Tell them what you got and what you want to achieve and how you will be using the car.

They will recomend the "right" best camshaft and the right springs and lifters and custom grind it for you.. They can ship to your door. All you got to do is pay for it. They are a custom cam grinding company. Thats their business.

Give Isky a call and see what they recomend for you. You might even get the Old Man on the phone.

The Lunati is a real good cam that matches your car and purpose. I been doing this for 35++ years.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Hey f-bird, spent all day looking at Isky stuff, what your opinion on
Isky Hi-Rev Series Oval Track Solid Flat Tappet Camshafts 201525 - SummitRacing.com
525a, seems like it should have a wide power band and be pretty snotty on a 106. Is my 3000 stall and 411's enough? Just wondering what your thoughts were?
I think that would be a "very snotty" on the snotty scale. Pretty snotty would be a few steps down and probalby not have oval track in the discription.

Wide power band and oval track are not terms that cam manf. Use in the same sentence. The further you push the rpm band the further away they are for being a match to your heads. But that being said i no nothing about how well they actually flow. Seems like even ported 1.94 valves would fall off around 6k and really your cam should as well. With solid you will still be able to rev it a little harder to cross the line if need be. If your looking to over cam the engine just to push it and grab a few more ponies then Bingo!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

needs a 10" 3500+ stall and long tube headers and the right Isky springs. I told you you need the 10" 3500 stall converter, didn't I.
Its a powerfull cam with the right stuff.... but a bit much for your purpose.

The Lunati is the right camshaft for the job with what you got, and what you are trying to achieve. I B-T-D-T with this kind of stuff. This cam has a nicer nature that you won't get tired of. You will enjoy your car. its got plenty of thump. a will make lots of power and torque right where you need it.
Especially when you tighten up the valve lash a bit.

If you want a Isky brand camshaft similar to this they can custom make you one.
They have very similar isky "hi-rev" solid cam lobes well suited to that. All you need to do is call Isky.

Isky cam lobes #S-574 intake and #S-404 exhaust ground on a 110LSA or 112LSA for your car and exhaust system.
Use a isky 235D valve spring at least.

Cam specs would be 274° in 282°ex 242°in -247°ex @.050" .495in -.507"ex 110LSA or 112LSA Let them detemine that when they take your order. You Degree it in when installing it making sure its a bit advanced (104 to 107intake C/L)
Hot lash will be .016in .018ex. Isky cams work really good.

The catalog cams are just a small sample of whats available.

If you want to use a snotty 106 LSA cam get long tube headers. and a 3500+ converter... Ya it matters.
The cam and headers-exhaust system must be a good match. They work together.
The 106LSA cams need a loose converter stall to idle correctly in gear.
Do not get all carried away, you won't like it.

You can download and check out the Isky cam lobe charts. Do not get all nuts on valve lift with a near stock valve train on your 305 heads. It won't work.

If you want a cam recomendation: call Isky Cams and ask for one. Do not tell them what cam you want. Cause if you do that , thats the cam you will get. Tell them what you got and what you want to achieve and how you will be using the car.

They will recomend the "right" best custom camshaft (based on your information and their years and years of doing this right.) and the right springs and lifters and custom grind it for you.. They can ship to your door. All you got to do is pay for it. They are a custom cam grinding company. Thats their business.

Give Isky a call and see what they recomend for you. You might even get the Old Man on the phone.

The Lunati/Ultradyne camshaft is a real good cam that matches your car,engine , converter etc and purpose, real good. I been doing this for 35++ years.
And it don't hurt to call.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you want a take no prisoners car 350w ported 305 heads . I have a slightly different Isky cam in mind but you must use long tube corvette headers, free flow exhaust (open headers) and a 3500+stall or the power will not be realized.
Isky cam #201534. Install on a 100 to 102 intake C/L. needs 10.5:1 cr. (flat tops)

rough idle, locked timing 3500+stall hits hard from 3500 up.
I have a even bigger Isky that is used with a 5000 stall race converter, single plane or tunnel ram 10.5:1+++ and 4.56's
It does not take wounded prisoners. 7500+rpm
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

I dunno why I have this thing for Isky, first fast car I ever rode in, Vega, with a 355 and muncie, camel humps and isky solid....never forget lol
I do like the numbers on the Z27 grind.....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
I dunno why I have this thing for Isky, first fast car I ever rode in, Vega, with a 355 and muncie, camel humps and isky solid....never forget lol
I do like the numbers on the Z27 grind.....
Yup its a good one (I had that one) but needs the long tube headers and 3500 stall.

you want to keep the duration low with jsut a 3000 stall.
Not more than 242° @.050" intake (solid cam)

Here is the biggest baddes cam I would bolt in your car with the 3000 stall.
Lunati Voodoo #60141 and the price is right ( this week.)
get some better headers. Install on a 104 intake C/L
Lunati 60141

use isky 235D vavlve springs @1.75" installed height and long slot rockers.
drill and roll pin the rocker studs and set the spring height.
Lunati Voodoo solid cam
241 249 @.050 .520-.540 110LSA
Do not go bigger than this one. This one is hot.
Really needs the better headers thou.
Do not use those wimpy 981 springs on this one.

This Voodoo has the bark and the bite. lol
We sell you the whole seat,, but you only need the edge!!!!
Voodoo cam card
http://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpecCa...rtNumber=60141
Do not use crappy valve springs on this one.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-11-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.