woud this be a good setup? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 11:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

woud this be a good setup?

im new to hotrods and am going to be building an engine for my car this summer
im going to get an early third generation camaro and put a fourth generation 6 speed transmission in it, but for the engine this is what i am thinking about
the problem is i dont know if its a good setup or not. my friend who knows alot more than me about cars helped me out by looking through a jegs catalouge and helping me out or whatever
i will buy as much stuff from ebay or used as i can as long as its good and will work good cause i dont have much money. aobut 4000 or so for the engine
looking for a fairly high reving street/strip engine that wont kill fuel economy but doesnt need to be perfect cause i've got a 'beater'

383 stroker kit from jegs
gear drive kit
edelbrock performer rpm 64 cc heads
crane energizer cam with 282*/.470" my friend said that will have a nice sound to it and wont be too bad on the street
crane enrgizer aluminum rockers
jegs aluminum radietor
stealthram or superram whatever i can get from ebay
what other stuff do i need to have a strong running motor that will rev fairly high and will last a while?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

sounds good, stay with a conservative manifold, however, you're done at around 5500-6000 with those cubes and that cam.

K
Old 05-21-2004, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

If you want to wring out that stroker to the upper rpm range, your budget will have to be much higher than $4k to get the valve train and sub assembly to handle it.

Remember to be realistic about where you will be driving the car (rpm range). For a street car it is very unusual for it to ever see anything above 5500-6000 rpm.
Remember...torque is king.....

Tim
Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Never Give Up

The stroker kit is the key, the performer heads are great but make sure the springs can handle the lift put out by the cam. IF the car is going to be a daily driver you dont want to get too crazy, I would go with an off-idle intake, try to get as much torque and HP out of it that you can within the low to mid-range cause like already said you arent going to get above the 6k range all that often. Hope this helps!!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:56 PM

ok cool so should i not get an aftermarket intake and stick with a tpi or something?
i say high rpm's i guess just because i dont wanna be having to shift at 4500 RPM when i'm having fun or whatever, would rather be able to go a little higher, but not worry about blowing anything up
is that the biggest cam i could go with?
i love the sound that big camshafts make....

by the way what else do i need to upgrade or replace to have the engine run good and be able to have fun with it without always worrying if everything will hold up?
water pump? fuel pump? that sort of stuff that usualy isnt talked about in an engine plan but is needed for the engine?
sorry i am a newbie to this and dont know what i need or dont need

Last edited by speedy123; 05-21-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Never Give Up

Edelbrock makes great intakes in a variety of rpm ranges, just pick out the one that gives you the best performance you are looking for, just remember if you go with anything other that an off-idle intake you will have to obtain a stall converter to match the rpm start range of that intake.

The bigger the cam you go is not always good unless you have the money to upgrade other components. Going higher in lift produces a rougher idle, for the most part is not bad, but you can drop manifold pressure which is a big deal in regards to your engines vacuum requirements. Some big cams cause manifold pressure to become so low that it wont operate power assisted brakes (brake booster). Other things to keep in mind when choosing a cam is that on computer controlled engines you might have to get a chip upgrade, or on carb. engines you will have to upgrade the carb, other things are the power band ranges in the cam regarding torque. Also, cams require a certain compression ratio. These are just some of the things to keep in mind when selecting a cam.

If your going to go extreme in the HP you might want to consider a higher flowing water and oil pump.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by chianesi; 05-21-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:42 PM

are the edelbrock intakes for carburator or do they have tpi intakes?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

say no to gear drives
Old 05-21-2004, 08:37 PM

whats bad about the gear drives?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Never Give Up

Edelbrock makes a wide variety of intakes for all applications, I have seen intakes for TPI, you just have to research the right one for you. If all else fails call Edelbrock's Tech line and let them know what your doing.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:47 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Your gonna wanna know what rear gears are in the car befor you stuff in any ole cam,match the cam to the entire setup.
A car with a small cam thats matched to the setup is better than a huge cam that was just stabbed in and don't fit the setup.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:42 AM

ok well with that setup what gears should i get?
remember ill also have the six speed from the fourth generation f bodies in there instead of the crappy 5 speed that the third generation cars came with. most of my driving will be at 40 mph or 60 mph if that helps
id also prefer something that will accelerate fast rather than something with a huge top end. and i will be using it for drag racing on the weekends. what do you recomend?
3.73?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Broke

hey
(i'm the friend that was helping him out the other day)
go on AIM so we can chat more.

Anywho, a 3.42:1 gear set might be a little better for fuel economy, but the 3.73:1 would probably be ok..
Ya probably wouldnt want to go with like 4.10:1's or higher, but see what other people have to say though.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 PM

I think for the most part, your combo sounds good. I am not a fan of geardrives either as they can sent bad harmonics through your valvetrain. I like that you are going with a stroker, and the 6 speed will be nice. The edelbrock heads are great for the street, I used to run a set on my 68.
As far as gearing goes, you have to remember that that T56 has a double overdrive. I'm not sure what your 6th gear ratio is, but I highly recommend that you go to a site like www.smokemup.com, where they have a complete chart for speed/Rpm range. It helped me a lot as I just rebuilt the 9 inch in my car. Anyways, if you have a 0.50 overdrive like some 6 speeds have, you might want to go with something like a 4.10. If you gear it too high, your 6th gear will be useless. especially if you are running a larger cam. It all depends where your motor will run good. I had 3.70 rear gears (just changed to 3.89's) and a 0.68 overdrive in my tko five speed. I was running 2000 rpms @65 mph. I can say that this was probably too low a rpm for MY engine with its monster roller cam. If I had a 6 speed in it, I couldn't use 6th gear unless I really moving. your motor will probably run great at a 2000 rpm cruise. You should find out which T56 you are getting, because there are several different ratio T56's out there.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Broke

oh yeah the LS1 T56 and the LT1 T56 are different gearings, correct?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.