Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Would Every Cylinder's Rings Be Bad???
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I was a Honda Tech for many years and was working there when those bikes were released. Because of the SOHC 750 that proceeded it, they weren't maintained as they should have been. The 750 had screw/nut adjusters on the valves and the DOHC models are shimmed. They take more time and are considerably more costly to have the valves adjusted. I would check valve adjustment, they tended to burn the exhausts if not maintained correctly. The other,MOST common,problem is carbs getting plugged. They have 3 circuits and although the idle and high speed circuits usually get cleaned, the mid range isn't typically. The fact that it hasn't run much(10,000 is about what I put on a bike in a year) would account for the low compression too. I would still aim at the valves, the initial maintenance check may never have been done. As the valves tighten, and they will, it screws up everything...low compression, weird running/accelerating. By the way, if you have too tight valves and they aren't corrected...it is a pretty pricey to repair. At the time I think the valves were about $12 each, multiply that by 8 exhaust valves,add labor and gaskets....well it gets pricey.Have the carbs synched as well, that is also a long delayed maintenance item. The low compression would point me to the valves.