Would this be a good buy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Would this be a good buy?

hello everyone,

I need some advise, I found a 1967 Chevelle SS for sale, I am going to go look at it on sunday and wanted to know if you guys think it's a good buy or not.

he says it's a VIN #138 SS car, 12 bolt rear end
from the pics he sent me he has done some body work, looks like he replaced the quarter panels and the trunk floor.
The interior floor pan needs to be cut out and replaced still.
From the Pics it looks like it has very minimal rust issues other then the interior floor pan.
comes with a 66' 396 motor, but he says it will need a complete rebuild.
he also says frame is in great condition no rust issues
he has two front clips, two trunk lids, and bucket seats

he's asking for 6k$
what are your guys opinions? too much? good deal? he originally wanted 6900, I talked him down to 6k.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Hard to say......If its a true SS, it is very collectible....Some pictures would help.

Budget RVs
Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67chevelle1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	53467   Click image for larger version

Name:	67chevelle2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	53468   Click image for larger version

Name:	67chevelle3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	53469   Click image for larger version

Name:	67chevelle4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	53470   Click image for larger version

Name:	67chevelle5.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	53471  

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Yes thats a fair price. Do the work yourself and spend another 6 grand on it and should bring around 20 grand.
I just looked at the pics after I wrote the first line. I didn't see the hood for it or the doors.Looks like it's had half panels installed on the quarters. Are they welded in? That type patch panels are a pain in the but to blend but can be done.Also noticed its an air condition car,thats a plus for it.Do you have the numbers on the 66 engine? What transmission comes with it?

Last edited by oldschool hero; 03-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Was his plan to replaced the damaged cowl on the car with the one in the garage?
Are all of the small parts there? Looks to be a lot missing.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

yeah oldschool I think those half panals are welded in there, when I go on sunday to take a look I'm bringing my brother in law (welder) to check out his weldjobs and to make sure he did a good job. so are you thinking that I MAY have to replace those panals with full quarter panals if they didn't do a good job with the welds? and he said that all the pictures don't cover everything he has, he said I have to come take a look at everything he has to get a good idea.

no sorry I don't have the numbers for the motor or tranny.

yes he said he had that extra cowl firwall, to replace the one that's on the car righ tnow.

Thanks for all the input guys appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

67 Ss.

Looks like a nice project, definetly could be worth the 6grand. Had a 66 396 4 spd car years ago, very enjoyable car, real head turner and always worth the investment. Let us know how the panels turn out.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would try to beat him down a thousand or so, it would go a long way for parts, if not, still a decent deal.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Whether this is a good deal or not depends a lot on your skill levels, tool chest size, quantity, and quality, and shop space to handle this size project. Removing and replacing the cowl section is not for a beginner with limited skills and resources. Replacing the rear quarters with full quarters is also a big job to get it right. Easy to screw it up. I think he has started in the right direction on that job, but as stated earlier, getting it straight will test your skills. We did a 64 Impala 2door HT that was in similar state of disrepair and it turned out nice. We cut out the complete floor from fire wall to trunk kickup from a sedan and installed it into the car. Barely fit into the opening afforded by the hard top, but made the job easier and professional.

My first thoughts looking at the pictures is the A/C dash was a recent install, not necessarily original to the car. When you are looking at the piles of stripped items from the car, you need to have an ideal of all the little things that you need to put it back together. If you end up missing a lot of the little things, you can double your estimate of what it is going to cost you to finish the car.

Trees
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Un fortunenetly the owner did more damage than good by taking it apart and hacking up those 1/4s (done completly wrong) ...If the car was all together and complete AND a SS,I'd say "Yes" its a great deal but me personaly wouldnt pay more than 3,000 .....plan on buying a parts car and spending at least 10,000 on the body starting with stripping it down to the steel and starting fresh including new 1/4s ,I'll bet he bent most of the chrome too..I've seen a lot of these DIY cars and there all the same...Those are great looking cars though ,I had a 66 way back in 76 I loved it...
I guess you just have to ask yourself ,How bad do you want it???? I know a guy down here that has about tweny of them and half are convertables
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 AM
boatbob2

66 chevelle.......

That price is not too bad,but,with the way he replaced those rear quarter panels,and the amount of rust in the floors,i would be very careful,ill bet the rockers are shot. buying someone elses project can turn out to be a B---H,by NOT taking it apart,do you have the knowledge to put it back together correctly?and as mentioned before,if you need to replace that cowl, you really better know what youre doing,didnt see the doors in the photos,,, i would look for another car,in the southern usa,stay away from those rust cars. ,i would personally walk away,it could turn into a can of worms very quickly........
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Last photo:

He's asking way too much for the car. You are going to have to correct a lot of screw ups like the rear quarters. In it's present state, obviously missing a lot of parts the fact that it may or may not be an original SS is irrelevant and not worth much. I think it is a project he has either become overwhelmed with or lost interest in. I would try and talk him down a bunch and if he is hesitant to move off what he's asking walk away from it. That car needs tons of TLC, $$, and sweat.

Vince
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
More for Less Racer

I agree he is asking too much. The fact is was a 138 SS car is pretty meaningless when the original motor and trans are gone, you'd have to really hunt to find a correct coded engine and trans to ever make it "true SS". Only thing SS about it now is the rear axle.

I don't see the rear 1/4's as a huge problem if he did a good job, replaced the outer wheelhouse at the same time and was careful. Lots of cars got fixed the same way years ago.

$3000-4000 depending on how bad or good the trim is, that can get expensive if you have to replave it all.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

hey guys thanks for all the input, I had some people here telling me the same things and I ended up just letting it go,

hey deadbodyman.... does this guy you know have those cars listed anywhere online? If so I'd take a look.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
boatbob2

Passing On The Car.

Hi Guy,i think that is a very wise decision,on NOT buying that car,ive seen MANY of those types of cars,where the original owner,tears it apart,does a limited amount of work,gets disgusted,sells it,next guy does a little more,gets disgusted,ADFINITUM I(means same thing keeps happening.and the last buyer,ends up with a car,thats missing a bunch of parts......GREAT move on your part.........

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.