would have never guessed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

would have never guessed

I never worked on one of these but I'm guessing the 59 has a rinky dink upper apron. Any thoughts?

1959 Chevrolet Bel Air vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu crash test - YouTube

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

crap i have a 58 nomad, do not forward to my insurance co. dam the funny thing is if a punch my 58 i will have a cast on , hit that 2009 i left a $2000 dent.
The Following User Says Thank You to killeratrod For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I have first hand knowledge on 2004 Cavalier VS 2004 Peterbilt pulling a Timpte grain trailer. When Cavalier t-bones Peterbilt and Timpte, Cavalier loses badly. That video reminds me of that. Not fair, not comparing the same thing at all. Crash worthiness has come a long way since 1959.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

after seeing that i guess big heavy steel is crap. and it really is all about the infrastructure!!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
after seeing that i guess big heavy steel is crap. and it really is all about the infrastructure!!
The thing they didn't show you was how badly the frame was rusted on the 59 from sitting on the ground somewhere for 20 years. It could have just been a bondo buggy. How do we know? We don't.

The newer cars are safer, a lot of research has been put into them over the years. I don't think they even had crash tests in 1959. That crash test dummy has been skewered by the steering column.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I think the type of crash they chose was the most catastrophic for that design of car compared to the the Malibu. I learned to drive in my 1984 Caprice and it was the school of hard knocks. I hit a ton of things in that old car and was involved in a couple low speed collisions (neither surprisingly were my fault.) The only time I ever aesthetically damaged the car was when I hit the rear bumper of the my dad's 94 F-350 - as it was bought in an auctioned from a power company and had a pretty serious stahl truck box for a bed - dented the front bumper, didn't even get to the sheet metal. It's no 1959, but it's designed in a similar manner and it is a tank of a car.

On the flipside, I was rear ended multiple times in my daily driver that replaced it, a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire. The entire back end was gone. No trunk nothing up until the back winshield. Winshield was still intact and I continued to drive the wheels off that car all smashed up until it had an electrical short and wasn't worth it to repair.

I think if you put that 2009 Malibu up against a ladder-framed car instead of a x-framed, the Malibu would end up the the much uglier of the two. Just my $0.02
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=CrashFarmer2;1693434]The thing they didn't show you was how badly the frame was rusted on the 59 from sitting on the ground somewhere for 20 years. It could have just been a bondo buggy. How do we know? We don't.

The newer cars are safer, a lot of research has been put into them over the years. I don't think they even had crash tests in 1959. That crash test dummy has been skewered by the steering column.[/QUOTE

yes i did think the same but that was a clean car if not restored better then new. you have to see that if you make a top product, why not show it. so chevy did here. I am sure they paid for everything . now are kids can have one. and we will feel safe. I sure thought i was safe in a 58 wagon.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

That video has been around a few years now, and highly disputed....Talk of no engine in the 59 for one thing

I think we all know that the newer cars are safer, crash wise....but which would a hot rodder rather been seen in?

Budget RVs
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I'd venture to say that at slower speeds The Bel Air may come out on top due to crumple zones on the newer cars, but that's just a guess.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I'd venture to say that at slower speeds The Bel Air may come out on top due to crumple zones on the newer cars, but that's just a guess.
Maybe, this is no surprise to me how that test came out, the late model car has real energy management designed into it. The damage is very localized, it manages that energy with crumple zones. The entire car is designed for this, with the passenger cabin being the most solid part, to hell with everything in front or behind the cabin, that is merely there to collapse and absorb energy so my family doesn't have to!

Where as an old car can get hit at a very low speed and secondary damage and indirect damage will be all over it! A tiny hit in the rear and the roof would be buckled for instance. That is almost unheard of now. I have seen late model cars rear ended so hard where the quarters were a foot shorter, buckled all the way up to the C pillar yet the rear doors opened and closed as new! This just doesn't happen with an old car, a tiny hit in the rear and the gaps are gone, often with the door locked shut! I saw it personally right in front of me once. An ice cream truck rear ended a 74ish Chrysler and where if this were two 2008 cars there would have been ZERO injury in both cars the guys in the icecream truck were SCREWED with one flying thru the windshield onto the trunk of the Chrysler. The passengers of the Chrysler had to climb out the windows because the doors wouldn't open!

How about the tall fender brackets being used more and more on cars these days?

These are designed so when the car hits a pedestrian the mounts collapse absorbing energy so the pedestrian doesn't. I think it's awesome!

Brian
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

nice post, Martin. Is that a Prius? Looks like Toyota and maybe a prius before they had those funky tie bars. Edit-HONDA?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

It's a Highlander, 2009 I believe.

Brian
Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Any old 50's or 60's car will not have the crumple zones designed into it that all new cars have. Should we just crush every old car because it wont do as well in a head on collision?
I think the '59 didn't do any different than any other old car, and I wont stop driving my old cars/trucks because of it.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

yeah yeah yeah... my brother sent that video link to me a while back because i drive a 58 truck
i replied to him that ''i'd rather die looking cool in that 59, than to be seen driving the newer impala''

yes crumple zones and energy absorption is built in new cars and yes it makes them safe
i rolled a 58 truck back in my youth, one and a half times, non safety latches failed, doors flew open
and guess what those artistic curved A pillars held up?

nothing...

but i rolled in style, also paid for it with back pain for the next 30 yrs

The Following User Says Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
yeah yeah yeah... my brother sent that video link to me a while back because i drive a 58 truck
i replied to him that ''i'd rather die looking cool in that 59, than to be seen driving the newer impala''

yes crumple zones and energy absorption is built in new cars and yes it makes them safe
i rolled a 58 truck back in my youth, one and a half times, non safety latches failed, doors flew open
and guess what those artistic curved A pillars held up?

nothing...

but i rolled in style, also paid for it with back pain for the next 30 yrs

The way I look at it is it's like riding a motorcycle, it's a choice. I drive very defensibly, just as I did on my motorcycle and that is all I can do.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.