Hot Rod Forum banner

Would it be possible to change the fan belt with the engine running...........

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  35terraplane 
#1 ·
Would it be possible to change the fan belt with the engine running and if so, how would you do it?

NOTES:
This can be ANY production car past or present; i think i heard this mentioned in Ken Burns documentary concerning jazz (i think?) so they were probably referring to cars from the 30's-50's but really we can apply to question to any car. In fact, it may be easier on a modern car because many of them have electric fans or clutch fans.

2) Let's not consider serpentine belt equipped cars for now, because that may actually be easier than v-belts.

#2 ·
Did it say how many fingers they had left after putting the belt on with engine running? LOL. I am not saying it can't be done but I don't want to try.

I will have mine not running, when it comes to flesh and bone against steel, most of the time the steel wins.

#3 ·
No, and the reason i'm asking is because i think it said something like, "Doing (don't remember what was said) would be akin to changing the fan belt with the engine running."

It was either one of Ken Burns'es documentaries on jazz. In fact, i'm pretty sure of it. Or it may have been a good documentary on American Experience (another excellent PBS program) dealing with civil rights but i don't think so.

So that's why i was asking because i'm curious, and it would not suprise me if it were possible; Maybe on a model T or something----they didn't idle very fast?

#5 ·
It would depend on how many RPM's the engine was turning. The slower the better chance of survival. This sounds like a bar bet challenge. Just like the Luge. " Oh yeah? Well I'll do it on a skate board, downhill, feet first, on my back, no hands!" I'm pretty sure this is how a majority of Olympic events got started.

#7 ·
Well, getting it off should be pretty "easy" in that you could cut the old one.

Now as far as putting it on:

If we define the fan belt as the belt that turns the water pump then:

Then, and this is only one possible way, we don't even need a fan---it could be removed. Let's picture a small block chevy.

So now the water pump pully and crank pulley are totally exposed nothing in the way. You know that it goes around the alternator as well. So loosen the alternator to the point where it moves closest to the water pump/crank pulley area.

Carefully slip the belt on, pry the alternator back with a long screwdriver or lever and tighten the alternator.

Now, IF the one of the parameters requires that there must be a fan, then i'm not quite sure.

Yes, i know----i just woke up and a zillion things go thru my mind when i wake up. Please forgive.

#9 ·
#17 ·
Rendus said:
From an interview with Wynton Marsalis:

"Soloing certain tunes, a bass player said many years ago, is like trying to change the fan belt on your car with the engine running."

Is that where the phrase came from?

Anyways, here is how i think it can be done with no fuss with a small block chevy for example.

IF you cut the old belt off then the water pump pulley and all the other pulleys stop turning except for the crank pulley.

Then with the alternator slid close as possible to the center of the engine, you can slip the new belt over the alternator pulley, water pump pulley, and crank pulley and you should still have enough slack so that the belt does not make contact (or very light contact) with the crank pulley.

YOu can now tighten the alternator to make the belt tight enough so everything turns again normally.

Again, forgive me. i will try to ask more intelligent (can't even spell it) questions in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.