Hot Rod Forum banner

Would these heads add a lot of power?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PrimeMover 
#1 ·
#3 ·
MI2600 has it right, these heads have the same size chambers, the rest really wouldn`t help performance any without the added benefit of compression. it kills me to see the good ol` 882 crack prone smogger heads with "high performance" written on them and folks buy them like crazy,,, just makes no sense.

#5 ·
Your stock 79 Z-28 engine will more than likely have 624 casting heads with 1.94-1.50 valve size. Basically, the 882 head is very similar to what you already have. The heads you posted were at 415.00 for a set, which is pretty darn close to the price of a new set of vortec heads, which would definitely make more power.

#6 ·
doublevision I would not call the 882's performance heads either but they are only crack prone if pushed to the limit with heat. As for their performance I have actually witnessed a set of 882's create 12hp and 19lb-ft of torque more than the "famous high performance 462 castings" both were running 1.94 intake size on a 355ci build.

#7 ·
Pity. For a few more C-notes, he could have had a brand new set of World Tourquer II's with Manley 2.02 - 1.60's 62cc chambers and 171 cc runners.

If the Tourquer II's can outperform a set of ported 461's I know they can outflow 882's. What he has are a respectible set of street heads. The price was OK providing the castings are up to snuff. Ebay's always been a gamble.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.