Would you? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Would you?

Hi,

I purchased a 56 Chevy Pickup from old guy that had it stored for 25+ years in his garage. His son worked on it last, about 20 years ago. It is pretty much stock except for a 327 motor/turbo 400 tranny installed years ago. It still has old stock suspension and axle. The gas tank is still behind the seat. You get the point it's still stock. I want to change front suspension to mustang II IFS, swap rearend to Ford 9 inch, and swap engine to a 350.

My question is: Would you do this even though the truck is a longbox?

Does anybody fix up classic long box pick-ups?

I don't want to make a pro street rod, just a weekend driver a little bit roded.

Thanks,

P.S Has anybody used these guys before for front end kits (I'll do a search)

http://www.macgyvers.com/main.html (Canadian EH!)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 AM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

Longbox is worth it.

While less popular a long box bed can definitly be a good candidate for restoration.

Some people do prefer them to shortbox. If you want, head over to www.chevytalk.com. It is another forum but has a specific section for 55-59 trucks. Has good people that know what they are talking about for these trucks.

Some companies carry fewer parts for long beds, but usually that is only the bedsides. I think the rear fenders are the same on a long bed and short bed.

Think of it this way too, a long bed is something to stand out a little more. I never see too many long bed trucks at the shows around here. I like the look of a longbed that has been lowered a little for a better stance.
I say go for it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I like the idea of a rodded long bed but I'd probably build a full boat 292 I-6 with a Hydramatic just to be really different and slam it in the dirt. But you're plan is good too. Do it!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If you only want to make a daily driver out of it there's really no need to swap out the 327 in favor of a 350. The little 327 has plenty of potential and is just as reliable as the later version. (Corvette versions in 64 or 65 had 365 hp). Also If the engine and trans have been swapped chances are the rear has too. If it's a good V8 rear then there's no need to swap that out either. Now if you're going racing this changes everything.

I do agree though that the Mustang II IFS is a good choice.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Consider a Monte Carlo clip instead of the MII. A lot beefier and goes in like it was designed from the factory. See this.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Do the right thing...

I think that would be really cool! I see a lot of shortbox street trucks, but no long bed street trucks. I'm assuming that the frontend is supported by leaf springs correct? If you mount them under the axel, then you can lower the frontend for a mean look. Yeah keep the engine and tranny that you've got. That motor is a good street canidate. Nobody gives small blocks enough credit! 302's, 305's, 318's, and 327's are great engines! If they are worked on a little bit, all of the motors I mentioned can be monsters! I remember watching a hot rod history show and it mentioned that in the 60's, the boss 302 mustang had a faster 1/4 mile time than a 351 mustang!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Rear and back axel can both be mounted by just mounting them on top of leaf springs and using lowering blocks. In the front you might have to make some changes to your steering arm after you drop it. This was the case in a '58 Chev I know about. But I'd say definitely go for it. I'd keep the 327, since its basically the same as 350 and has equal potential. Make it loud and mean and people will love it! But dont build it for peoples liking, build it so you like it.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 02:57 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
Consider a Monte Carlo clip instead of the MII. A lot beefier and goes in like it was designed from the factory. See this.

Yea that sounds like good advice. It doesn't seem logical to use an MII in anything heavy.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 PM

After reading your replies,

I think I'll go for it. The 327 engine was out of a 1960 some corvette. I'll grab the Serial if anybody thinks they could help me identify it.The old guy also gave me some exhaust pipes from the same corvette the engine came out of. The exhaust pipes run from the headers along the underneth of the doors, out by the step on the box. It is about a 3-4 inch pipe. But I have get them installed. The rearend was swaped out with a Nova rearend by the old guys son, but it still has a six bolt pattern and thats all I know!

The Monte Clip is maybe the way to go. I thought the mustang II IFS front suspension would be easier. I need more sugestions on this PLEASE!

Well it's a start

Thanks Everybody
Old 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Early Iron or No Iron

For my two cents I'd sure lean towards the Monte clip over the MII unit,consider the vehicle weights of their OE applications-MII 2500-3000 lbs,Monte I'm guessing in the 3600-4000 lb range.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
...... It doesn't seem logical to use an MII in anything heavy.
A common misconception. See this article for a complete explanation of why the Mustang II IFS system is stronger than most people think.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Early Iron or No Iron

VVVVVVery interesting Centerline,and with the plethora of aftermarket install kits,control arms,brakes,etc the MII might be the way to go,although the Monte clip has the edge in economics if you do the work yourself.Having said all that,I'd keep the straight axle,but that's just me.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

I agree! nothing screams old school like a strait axle! besides, most of the trucks at the shows I have been to have been changed to independant front suspensions, in fact its the I beam trucks that stick out sure they don't handle as good, but to me its not much different than a 4X4..

-Leo-
Old 04-16-2005, 09:24 AM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

I'd agree with keeping it straight axle. I got an old truck, to drive an old truck. There are lots of add ons that can help take the sting out of a straight axle and lower it down.

These add ons can usually be done by you and don't often need to be welded, etc.. Lower spindles, springs, flip the axle over, power steering conversion kits.

I suppose after you add up the cost of these though it might be argueable if it is cheaper to go that route or an IFS.

I choose straight axle.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.