Would you consider an All Drag Car a Muscle Car? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
The Dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If one is wondering why I was asking, I was talking with a friend of my dads in my neighborhood who drag races a BMW currently and he has also done Import drag racing since its early days in the 90s. He was trying to tell me that Europeans cars and imports are better for drag racing and of course I said what about Muscle cars? Then he said muscle cars are terrible for drag racing. So I pointed out the cars in the NMCA and he said they don't count as muscle cars.

So I figured I ask here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM

I think a muscle car has to be street legal thats how they were advertised from the factory, if you cant drive it on the street, it is most likely a race car.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13
If one is wondering why I was asking, I was talking with a friend of my dads in my neighborhood who drag races a BMW currently and he has also done Import drag racing since its early days in the 90s. He was trying to tell me that Europeans cars and imports are better for drag racing and of course I said what about Muscle cars? Then he said muscle cars are terrible for drag racing. So I pointed out the cars in the NMCA and he said they don't count as muscle cars.

So I figured I ask here.
Whats your dads friend smoking?

Have you checked out the FAST class racing. Stands for Factory Appearing Stock Tire? You'll find plenty of real(and fake) Muscle cars that look bone stock, and are capable of running in the 10's on old bias ply tires.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
Whats your dads friend smoking?

Have you checked out the FAST class racing. Stands for Factory Appearing Stock Tire? You'll find plenty of real(and fake) Muscle cars that look bone stock, and are capable of running in the 10's on old bias ply tires.
Who knows, I think its just because hes older and has money (he makes well over 6 figures) he thinks he knows best.

I've seen the FAST class, as well as the Pure Stock Muscle Car drags as well both are cool.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

my muscle cars are from 64 to 72,startin with the 64 gto.in my openion.theres some debate over that one. hi performance from the factory cars were the muscle cars. there were several. i cant sit here and name em all but back in 60's and early 70's there was a hp war goin on between auto makers.the hp was dropped and the hp war for production was over.now, it seems, theres an effort bein made to bring back the hp battle. i think its cool to see more hi-per cars comin out even though i do perfer the old true muscle cars from the day.this is just my openion. i wouldnt try to cram it down anybodys throat. hahaha
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Ordinary night at a ordinary drag strip you'd be 'lucky' to see two euro cars all night. I don't recall seeing a "dedicated" euro drag car w/the exception of VW's. And at many tracks- unless it's an event geared toward tuner cars- you'd not see very many furrin' cars, period. I'd say WAY under 10%, maybe not even 5%.

Now, on nights that are for the tuners, there's a BIG contingency of all types including FWD and some of the baddest turbo'ed 4 bangers around. If they could hook them up they'd be some kinda bad. But the FWD cars w/maxed out mills have to use a weird-to-watch "wheelie bar" procedure where the front tires are preloaded by jacking the 'bars down until they almost lift the rear tires off the ground. At launch, they retract.

But until the FWD cars can beat the lack of weight transfer onto the drive wheels, they will never perform as well as they could if they were RWD.

Euro cars excel on the road and road course-type tracks. Some of them actually can run a pretty quick 1/4, but that's just not their forté. The same power to weight that the euro super cars have- if applied to a correctly designed drag race car- would out ET them badly. And wouldn't handle anywhere near as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Drag or Muscle Car.

Say you bought a brand new 426 hemi Cuda. right off the show room floor. You would have a Muscle car. Now let's say you took the body off the frame sent it out to have it acid dipped, made a all tube chassis, gutted the inside, put a cage in it. Then put it all together, to Run just as a drag car. Standing aways away from it, it still looks mostly like the car you bought at the dealer but get up close the inside looks nothing like the car you brought home. It is now a drag car, you lost the muscle car name as soon as you took it apart.
So no they are not the same. Just like saying you have a street legal drag car. You have a car that you take to the strip and drive on the street but you don't have a drag car that is legal to drive on the street. Street racing is for idiots, that's why the build drag strips.

Bob
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Ordinary night at a ordinary drag strip you'd be 'lucky' to see two euro cars all night. I don't recall seeing a "dedicated" euro drag car w/the exception of VW's. And at many tracks- unless it's an event geared toward tuner cars- you'd not see very many furrin' cars, period. I'd say WAY under 10%, maybe not even 5%.

Now, on nights that are for the tuners, there's a BIG contingency of all types including FWD and some of the baddest turbo'ed 4 bangers around. If they could hook them up they'd be some kinda bad. But the FWD cars w/maxed out mills have to use a weird-to-watch "wheelie bar" procedure where the front tires are preloaded by jacking the 'bars down until they almost lift the rear tires off the ground. At launch, they retract.

But until the FWD cars can beat the lack of weight transfer onto the drive wheels, they will never perform as well as they could if they were RWD.

Euro cars excel on the road and road course-type tracks. Some of them actually can run a pretty quick 1/4, but that's just not their forté. The same power to weight that the euro super cars have- if applied to a correctly designed drag race car- would out ET them badly. And wouldn't handle anywhere near as well.
Hes the only Import (serious Import) that runs around here other then a really Fast Supra in Central Florida. Imports seems dead (with the exception of a few civics), its mostly Fox Body Mustangs at the drag strip.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer69
my muscle cars are from 64 to 72,startin with the 64 gto.in my openion.theres some debate over that one. hi performance from the factory cars were the muscle cars. there were several. i cant sit here and name em all but back in 60's and early 70's there was a hp war goin on between auto makers.the hp was dropped and the hp war for production was over.now, it seems, theres an effort bein made to bring back the hp battle. i think its cool to see more hi-per cars comin out even though i do perfer the old true muscle cars from the day.this is just my openion. i wouldnt try to cram it down anybodys throat. hahaha
All opinions are welcome man
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13
Hes the only Import (serious Import) that runs around here other then a really Fast Supra in Central Florida. Imports seems dead (with the exception of a few civics), its mostly Fox Body Mustangs at the drag strip.
You go to Speed World out W HW 50 in Bithlo?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
You go to Speed World out W HW 50 in Bithlo?
I've been out there a few times never actually ran
I usually go to Clearwater drag strip for the 1/8th mile and Bradenton for a 1/4th.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Wednesday nights Speed World has their 'test and tune' night. We could usually get in four runs w/o a problem. The track is well kept, real good traction even on Wednesdays. I've been to Clearwater as a spectator, never ran on a 1/8 mile track so far.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Wednesday nights Speed World has their 'test and tune' night. We could usually get in four runs w/o a problem. The track is well kept, real good traction even on Wednesdays. I've been to Clearwater as a spectator, never ran on a 1/8 mile track so far.
I haven't been out to Clearwater in awhile (since I sold my S10 a few months ago) its a good track. Bradenton is my personal favorite though, even if my S10 was only a 13 second car.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.