Wow, just, wow! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow, just, wow!

So, the past couple of nights after work I have been tearing into the Biscayne. Mainly cleaning things up, painting up the engine bay and overall trying to make it look better under there. While doing this, I knew I had an exhaust leak issue to address so off comes the y-pipe and the manifolds. I sprayed down the y-pipe to manifold bolts with some PB and WD40 before I left for work because it was VERY rusty under there. What do I find when I get home? I didn't even need it! The bolts were finger tight on the y-pipe, AND the manifolds!! I found 3 bolts (both sides combined) that I actually had to use a ratchet on. Not only were the manifolds on finger tight, there were NO gaskets between the head and manifold!! The y-pipe had the gaskets on the passenger side and a shredded donut gasket on the drivers side. No wonder I had a leak. Hope I don't have a burnt exhaust valve in there somewhere (the motor runs good so I doubt it). Another thing I found, when I pulled out the 2 rear driver intake manifold bolts (they were holding a spark plug wire loom holder), they smelt HORRIBLE!!!! Like REALLY nasty. I can't figure out what the smell is honestly. I don't seem to have any fuel leaks/intake leaks anywhere. The engine runs/idles fine, so I'm kinda curious. I also found that my exhaust heat riser on the passenger side has 2 small cracks in it (right above the hole for the butterfly shaft to pass through) and seems warped. Any ideas for this one without replacing it? Don't want to slap it back together and have another exhaust leak. I should probably just buy a new one but would hate to spend the money on something that will just be coming off soon. Just thought I'd rant a little bit. I can't believe how loose everything was, now it makes me worry about other stuff.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The smell is common for a older engine. It`s a undiscribable scent of burnt oil and coolant. I don`t know if anyone has did things to the car before you but in many cases I`ve worked on what others did it wasn`t uncommon to find bolts not tight as well as no gaskets in place. My nephew who`s 21 now I`ve told him a thousand times in the past to go over everything and make sure it was tight. being he`s a kid he would rush the job fast as he could. A week later I`d get a call about something falling off or breaking and I`d ask "how do you think that happened?" and he would sheepishly say "Cause I didn`t get the bolts tight enough" and in many cases when he did something I`d always check behind him and find half the bolts not tight. Feel fortunate your not draining the diff fluid, Not long ago when I installed a posi diff in place of the peg leg in my 92 chevy pickup, the smell of 17 year old gear lube was horrible.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:01 AM

Last photo:

Oh trust me, I know that gear oil smell lol. I STILL have a shop shirt that smells like it, and it's been washed and washed and washed! This was about 5 years ago too and still smells lol. Mine happened when pulling a transmission out of an S10 with about 160K on the clock. I don't think it had EVER been changed and I know the owner wasn't too friendly on the truck either. The intake bolts are all tight and I think it's safe to assume that there are at least gaskets on it because I'm not blowing smoke and the car runs good. At some point in it's life someone swapped out the 283 for a "020" 307 short block but it has the 283 power pack heads on it with matching rochester 2jet and manifold. Someone also put an HEI dizzy in it at some point.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM

If you guys want to talk about bad smells with fluid on cars, try this one on for size. My 71 chevelle sat for about 15 years in a guys garage, the windshield washer fluid resevoir was diconnected when he got the car in 1980. There was a lid on it from like a plastic milk jug or something, basically just a cap with no holes in it. When I went to paint my car and I opened the lid about 3 months and I almost passed out, it was the worst smell and taste, I literally was gagging so bad that I threw up!!! Then 5 minutes later my brother walked in my garage and he still to this day says nothing smells the same...lol. You wouldnt think that stuff would smell bad, but I guess 35 year old anything will smell bad in the right conditions. It was horrible, like burning baby diapers and bad milk in a bowling alley toilet hahaha Off topic but funny...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM

At 35 years old, about the only thing that smells good is a beautiful woman.

Pat
Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
At 35 years old, about the only thing that smells good is a beautiful woman.

Pat

Sometimes not even that! Looks can be deceiving
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Anyone who's ever rebuilt an engine will attest to the odd- not gross, but not good either- odor that comes from the main cap bolts.

I've noticed it on dozens of engines, of various makes and types, so it's not a "just Ford" or "only Chevy"-type of thing- they ALL have it.

I think it's nothing more than old, "cooked" motor oil, maybe along w/whatever the OEM uses on the threads, but it's a smell you won't forget.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Anyone who's ever rebuilt an engine will attest to the odd- not gross, but not good either- odor that comes from the main cap bolts.

I've noticed it on dozens of engines, of various makes and types, so it's not a "just Ford" or "only Chevy"-type of thing- they ALL have it.

I think it's nothing more than old, "cooked" motor oil, maybe along w/whatever the OEM uses on the threads, but it's a smell you won't forget.
Agreed, and I'll add that I've opened some up that had oil so bad that it smelled like a very well used rear end, yeah, that same stink and coming from an oil pan.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaintoast
Agreed, and I'll add that I've opened some up that had oil so bad that it smelled like a very well used rear end, yeah, that same stink and coming from an oil pan.
It IS an odor that closely resembles differential dope, but w/an odd "twist" on that theme.

I always imagined it as what crude oil that wasn't quite "done" might smell like- you can almost smell the "once was alive" quality to it! lol
Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 PM

This could probably be it's own thread, and maybe it should be.
I've seen oil so clumped up and sludgy that it wouldn't completely
run out of the oil pan. Imagine STP oil treatment, but 10 times thicker,
and old and stinky.
I once found a roofing nail in a motor that was running when it was pulled. No idea how that happened.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Holy crap! A roofing nail? That's pretty odd lol. I've smelt that main cap smell before but this intake bolt was just, WOW! The gear oil I got on my shirt during the tranny change many years ago about made me puke. I was like "what tyhe hell is that, "gulp" and quickly crawled out from under the truck and took that shirt off lol
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

Ya there are lots of odd smells that come from a used engine. It doesnt even have to be all that old or high in mileage. Just all the heat and friction and conbustion gasses and all that mixed together.... whew. One of the worst smells ever tho. I dont know if its 15 year old gasoline or gear oil (new or used) that smells the worst. They both stink. And yes.... get even new gear oil on your clothes and you might as well throw them away, you wont get that smell out no matter what you do. Learned this the hard way. I had a jacket i was wearing while changing a manual transmission in a parking lot in 30 degree weather at 4am about 7 years ago. I washed and washed and washed and bleached and bleached and bleached that thing and everything EXCEPT the smell came out of it. It got thrown away, needless to say.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the worst odor i have ever had come from a motor on tear down was one the owner had been putting rear end lube in. a quart with every oil change, he claimed he had been doing it for over 2 years. when i asked him what he was thinking when he started doing it, he said the motor had low oil pressure and someone told him to put a can or 2 of STP in it. he said STP was too expensive so he got rear end lube.
the amount of sludge in that motor was amazing. when i pulled the intake, i couldn't even see the push rods.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

HOLY CRAP!!!! Wow and it ran for 2 years? It's amazing what some engines will do. Shoot I saw a youtube clip of one of those cash for clunkers and it took this F150 FOREVER to die. They drain the oil and put in this additive to seize the engine and run it at max rpm, that thing would not die, it finally went up in ablaze of glory though lol. My wife didn't like the smell of the house when she got home today (I used our 2nd oven to bake my manifolds with the high temp paint) That didn't smell too good either. (The oven is even outside, and it still drifted in)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

Here are some pics of what I have been working on, tell me what you think so far:

Before:

As of now: (still have to put the fan/shroud/radiator/alternator back on and I have a chrome breather coming for the oil fill tube and chrome thermostat housing)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.