Wrecks to Riches - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Bean Counter

Last journal entry: Paint time
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I watched it last night, they were finishing up the mustang. Man I can't believe they dug the wiring harness out of the trash and spliced it together with the new wiring! That man paid I think $57,000 for a car with some 30 year old spliced wires in it. I just wonder what he's going to think if he happens to watch the show and sees that. I'm getting tired of seeing the same bidders too. The man and his wife that wanted the GTO was on there again in a bidding war for this car too. They were also bidding on the GTX clone.

Jsutton
77 f100

Advertisement

Last edited by jvsutton; 05-17-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggarmike
The trouble here is not that guys are cloning cars and not being up front about them being clones.........
Actually the problem is that we have a major custom rod shop that is cloning cars and not being up front about it. You should expect that from the average jerk on the street but not from a nationally known rod shop.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

There is no way in hell this shop is misleading buyers into believing that these cars are original muscle cars. Clone cars are now bringing big bucks guys, especially in the condition he is presenting them. Muscle cars are getting harder to find. You just don't put a show on national tv showing the build-up of a rod and then go to an auction and bill it as something it's not. This guy's been around for a long time and will be for years to come.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I believe that it MAY be like the Boyd show and the Chip show ...

Scripted ... is a polite word ...

The same bidders ... over and over ... and the Jon Barrett engines ... at 10 grand ( the TV reported price )

Jon Barrett was at the NSRA Nationals in KY last year ... and priced a friend of mine a engine ... 450 HP SBC at about half that ... TV price ...
http://www.jonbarrett.com/

SCRIPTED ... yes ... that's the polite word ...

Old 05-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Hey guys,
This is Barry's daughter Jenn. First and foremost I want to thank all of you for watching the show and voicing your opinions on it. Without you guys we wouldn't be in our second season now. Nevertheless there are still some of you who think that we turn out "crap" and good-for-nothing clones. So I'm coming on here to clear up a few things for you guys so you know the FACTS and not the rumers floating around. The reason you are seeing the same bidders over and over is because they, tv show or not, run those auction circuts and regularly buy and sell cars at those auctions. We are hoping that the show will pull more viewers, and bidders for that matter to the auctions we are going to for second season. Ardell Brown is a very wealthy man and he knows what he likes and has the resourses to buy them.
Also, you have to understand something...clones are, well, clones..and if you were to go to an auction where the "gtx" and "gto" were you would see right on the auction house paper that is says "CLONE". infact my dad even says lets take a __________and make a __________ CLONE out of it in the show.
For all of you who think my dad is an *** at time, he is. aren't we all?? He is trying to run a business and keep up with deadlines that tlc has put on us to create cars..things don't always magicly appear like they do on overhaulin or boyd's show. We have problems getting things just like the average joe, freebies or not.
We are not a scripted show, everything you see..happened...no way is this show like chip's or boyd's....not written...

So please, take it easy on my dad and well, the shop in general. Thanks so much for watching and please remember that it's tv and a clone is just that..a clone. for all of you with the REAL THING, congrats...those are hard to find.
Thanks again,
Jennifer White
Old 05-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Well Jenn,

Let me be the first to welcome you to HotRodders.com. Personally I'm very glad to see someone connected with the show here to rebut some of the things we "think" we see in the show that may be wrong.

I believe your dad's shop does really nice work. Some of it isn't to my taste but it's still looks like quality work to me. The problem I see, and I guess I'm not alone in this, is that the show makes it appear that the cars are being billed for sale as the genuine article. As I said in an earlier post, I don't really believe that's the case but the "show" makes it seem that way.

I would suggest that you try to get the producers to make it clear these cars are being offered for auction as clones. Like I said before, in the shows that have aired so far there has been nothing mentioned that would make the majority of people believe that's the case. Your absolutely correct, a clone is a clone, but the producers need to make sure the people watching know they're being sold as clones and not the genuine article.

Once again, welcome to HotRodders.com.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Welcome to the site smcls1. The cars that come out of your dad's shop are clean tasteful rides that look great. They sit right, have plenty of power and look like they will handle well. They are modern muscle cars built with new technology.

They are not represented as high dollar numbers matching muscle cars from the 60's or 70's. They are what they are - hot rods!

To bad the producers have to stress the drama of building a car to a deadline. Most of us who work on cars as a hobby already know that pressure and don't need to see it sensationalized.

By the way it looks like you are getting the same exposure as the Edelbrock daughters and you are handling it well. I was impressed when you answered one of our members questions about the Tru Blu color so quickly.

Good luck with your second season. I will be watching it.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:18 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Hey Jennifer,

Answer us a question.
What were the sparks coming out from under the GTO during the burn out?

I like the attitude of your cars, very old school muscle car stance. But I do hope the show can get better without the bickering. There's to much of that on TV, we like to have fun with our cars, shows like these kind of make me think maybe it's supposed to be a PITA and aggrivating all the time. Looks like the only smiling anyone does is when it sells.

Keep the show going though. Great potential.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I doubt that you will see friendly banter on this site from the people at Barry's shop, especially after the accusations and general mud throwing that was aimed at them.
I said it before, but I will say it again. I have had minimal exposure to the show, but from what I have seen there was never any attempt on thier part to hide what the cars are.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Hello everyone,
I want to echo Jenn and say thanks for watching the show - like it or not, it's about what we're most passionate about - our cars! We knew we'd be fair game when all this came about, so most of the comments don't bother me...I know the cars we build are awesome, whether it takes 4 weeks or 18 months. To answer a couple of your questions, the sparks were from the end of the starter hitting the flywheel - and it was fixed the minute it got back to the shop. And as for the way the GTO sat, we didn't have time to lower it before it went to auction, but we did it when it got back home. After 30 years of doing this, Barry does know how a car should sit! And I enjoy talking to everyone and being available for questions, so keep'em coming!

Becky
Old 05-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Bonified Mopar Freak

re: Wrecks to riches

I would like to offer a word of thanks to Becky and Jennifer White for their candor in answering the questions and comments on this forum. The fact that they took the high road and covered the information without striking back, like happens so often in the world today, shows that they are down to earth gearheads just like the rest of us! You have a great show. Good luck with it!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Vise jaws
Last photo:

To Becky and Jennifer.... Welcome to Hotrodders. It is good to hear from someone that is actually from the show. This will dispel rumors, etc. as to how the cars end up. In my opinion, if it was mentioned on the show somewhere that a "clone" was being built, it would stop a lot of talk. I don't ever remember hearing the word "clone" on the show.
Also from a television viewer's side of the show, it gets borderline as to the way most of the other shows have become. Please take note I said borderline. It hasn't went the way of the others. Just like when American Chopper first started on TV. The bickering brought in ratings. After a couple of years it gets real old and I imagine ratings have really dropped. The same goes with Boyd. Most people get tired of that crap real fast. Then here comes a fresh new show, "Wrecks to Riches" and it was kind of a breath of fresh air showing what we all like to watch best. But as soon as everyone starts talking "deadlines" and the bickering starts, the majority of viewers thinks it is going the same cookie cutter ways of all of the other shows. The one show that seems to be exempt from that is OverHaulin'. Although there is a deadline with OverHaulin' it is not the tension filled bickering, fighting, foot in your *** type of show and I think that is what keeps it on top. Although the pranks get tiresome after awhile.
Barry builds some awesome cars and I have said that from the start (even if they did paint the side marker light) but if it follows the path of American Chopper, Boyd, and a few others then people will start to tune it out. So from a viewers standpoint, if you have any say in it, give us a show that is not going to be a cookie cutter show. With that said...again welcome, keep up the good work, and hope to hear more from you at different times. Just because a topic was started about the show, it started out as an observation and turned into a debate, that was straightened out for all of us. Thank you.

Kevin
Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

This is funny. I never heard of the show until this thread popped up. I quit watching the other shows for the very reasons that others have already stated. I decided to have a looky and see what all the ruckus was about.

I caught an episode a few days ago and I liked it, the Chevelle was nice but the shop "beater" getting romped on made the show much better. Like everybody else says, the drama sucks.

Gearheads like seeing the cars get built. We already know what a pain it can be to do a job like that so for entertainment's sake, stick to the technical side and showcase the parts and installation. The show will do much, much better in time.

Larry

PS,

Two burnouts per episode must be mandatory.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I doubt that you will see friendly banter on this site from the people at Barry's shop, especially after the accusations and general mud throwing that was aimed at them.
I said it before, but I will say it again. I have had minimal exposure to the show, but from what I have seen there was never any attempt on thier part to hide what the cars are.
I stand corrected!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

re: Wrecks to Riches

It's kinda cool having imput with someone connected with the show. I totally agree with most of the comments about toooooooo much drama. I really love seeing the builds and how they are accomplished. If someone is at an auction I would think they have done there homework. Especially with the cost of these cars. Clones or original. I would think the auction house would list the cars as clones rather then be sued. These are business people so I'm sure they would list these cars correctly. All that aside, I love watching the show. Anything that deals with these type of cars is worth watching IMHO.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.