Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wrinkled fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 07:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm making a custom front bumper, rear bumper, fenders, and hood with the fiberglass. To be honest, the only reason I've chosen epoxy is because friends have told me to "do it right" and "just use epoxy". I haven't purchased any yet, but now I think I'm going to reconsider.

Also, about the gel coat, I would like someone to clear things up for me:

Here is what I've been told / read about gel coating. (These statements conflict somewhat)

1) You spray gel coat on the mold to cover up defects and create a smooth surface on which you can layer your fiberglass.

2) You spray gel coat on the final part to create a smooth surface.

3) Gel coat is just another name for a resin.

4) Gel coating isn't nessecary if your mold is smooth enough.

A buddy of mine made a canoe out of kevlar. He made his mold out of wood, sanded it until it was super smooth, and layed 2 layers of kevlar and epoxy in it. The canoe is as perfectly smooth, strong and flexible enough.

Can someone point out what the visual and structural differences will be between a part that was gel coated, and a part that wasn't?

Also can someone point out where to get this stuff? I get most of my stuff from eBay, not much in the way of gel coating there.