Hot Rod Forum banner

wrist pin won't move

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  snupytcb 
#1 ·
hey guy's. I just got my last piston back from the shop and it does not move at all on the wrist pin. it was still warm when I got it so I thought it free up when it cooled down. but no such luck. the shop said to soak it in hot oil for a while. these guy's have always been real good to me but this time I am concerned. any suggestions?

#11 · (Edited)
If they're pressed pins, they shouldn't move in the small end of the rod. For the pin to be moving in the small end of the rod requires the pistons/rods to be full floating.

snupytcb, I've seen tight piston caused by a pin being pressed out and reused, and my guess is that's what the shop has done instead of using a new pin. Usually there's nothing wrong w/reusing a new pin like that but in some cases there'll be enough galling during removal to cause the pin to be too tight in the piston on reassembly. In cases where the pin was slightly damaged on removal the pin could've been inspected and smoothed if necessary. But in any event they should have dealt w/this before returning it to you.

#9 ·
no, that was not my doings, nor my motor and it was a long time ago. I have all but one piston in my block. I am waiting until my new piston comes in. I just ordered a new one in case it is damaged. the shop is paying for it. I was just wondering if it would be ok to use if it did free up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.