Is this wrong advice? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 10:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this wrong advice?

Came across this hot rod article today.
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/53938/
They say apply a coat of etch primer and then apply filler over that. It was my understanding that filler was not to be used over etch primer. Interesting though is I took a quick look at the P=sheet for the etch primer in question and it says not to use epoxy primer over it. When I was first learning all this stuff, the icar procedure was to use etch primer over bare metal, and then use epoxy over that. Has something changed?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 10:32 PM

Yeah, filler should never be applied over etch primer NEVER.
That DPX 171 etch is not friendly with epoxy either, but on the other hand Dx1791 is. At my last PPG cert class they wanted Dx1791 under DPLF epoxy and only dx1791, as they said it adds to its corrosion resistance. DPX171 reacts with the epoxy causing for a failure

The thing with Icar is that they are general guidelines, not product or specific guidelines. If you want to know how a product is to be used read the product P-pages or tech sheet not the Icar guidelines...Eric
Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Thats what I figured. I can just imagine how many readers they have that don't know better and follow their advise. I hardly ever use etch primer anyways. And yes I always read the p-sheets. Its easy to forget somethings even if you have used the product alot, and sometimes the recommendations change or are updated. Plus it is hard to keep up on every single product, and stuff getting phazed out and replaced means you need to learn the new products.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.