wrong guage reading - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Dude..where do you live?

Our town is so small, we have One main street, That is only 4 miles long..has 17 sworn Cops ..and ALL 17 of them are busy pulling over street rods for headlight violations..and loud mufflers (Because they Can..A REAL Andy of Mayberry Deal Here..)

Our local Radio Shack Is like 15 to 20 feet wide, and about 70 feet long..Shoehorned between a Flower store AND a Restraunt..and THEY have a bin full of (Close Matches) Them...

We had a guy a few months back do this SAME job, got one at HIS local Rat Shak..and installed it and it went well...

That is the trouble with RAT SHAK, No two of them are alike..Since they went into The $$ is in SELL, SELL, SELL!!.. never mind what they actually may want..:

"You Got Questions? We've Got .....

Cell Phones..
Batterys...
Sprint Contracts..
Sat TV Installations...
Plasma TV's.. "

Questions? ask Mr Wizard...I need to finish my Homework for School in the morning.."

They have slowly Been Phasing out the component parts as they sell out...since about 2002..(Which may be Why we still have a bunch of them..since I am the only one buying them..)

DO you Have a local FRY's Electronics Store NEAR you?

Go there, on their Electronic Component Isle (AND be advised they are a mess..parts NOT on hangers just thrown on the floors and end caps..SO you HAVE to get on your hands and knees and look..Go to Resistors, Potentiometers, Then Tapers ..Here is what to look for...

ANY Pot that Is 1 WATT or more, has a resistance Value of 0 to 100 Ohms Or more, up to 500 ohms...(by using half the pot Center terminal and right terminal will give you a range of 0 to 250 ohms....tighter adjustment range but works fine..) and go with that..

IF that does not work for you..Get out the PHONE book..look for Electronic Parts suppliers..PHONE them First..ASK for a pot near the values I gave you..IT does not have to be exact..(remember..It's adjustable...) as long as it is 100 ohms or more and 1 watt or higher..and see what they may offer..They should have one...

The reason you got such a high price on the one you found is because it is a Rehostat..a BIG ceramic Wire wound adjustable resistor that controls high current apps..like lamp dimmers..not what you need or want..you want a POT..

If you Crap out locally all together, go Here:Ohmite Phone or EMAIL them with the spec's I gave you..Tell them you want a type AB, style CLU and what range..Their site Say's their pots come in ranges from 50 ohms to 500 Megohms..and order one..

FROM THE OHMITE SITE:

Doc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks doc , nice post....!!!
I have found them all over the web from $.50 up to $30.00 The RS I went to and another that I called both said they no longer carried them with anything near those values. I didn't believe them and went to RS website and darned if they don't have them anymore. Thanks for the info , I'll get one some how. Of interest was the number of sites that carry them for guitars , so possibly a good music shop (that does repairs) may also have them. Doc again I appreciate the time you send on all of us... may your 'vettes go faster because of it<G>
Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.