Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wrong guage reading
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00
Thanks Doc, I do have a meter but don't know how to use it (sic) . I can try going back to 6 volts and see what happens,
DOC here,

NOW is a good time to learn how to use it..

Quote:
but I STILL would like to know why the test light flashed when I probed the sender wire. Actually a better way to describe it is that it pulsed, as in flashing on and off and on and off? All lights are wired 12v with appropriate bulbs.
WHY it flashed is of no importance..the FACT that it did..IS..you are testing in DANGEROUS waters..

Quote:
>>The SENDER wires NEVER have power on them for Fuel gauges (like putting a 12 volt fuse on 50 sticks of liquid dynomite..) FUEL SENDERS are always referenced to ground through a potentiometer..>>

not sure what you mean does it matter whether it's 6v or 12v as far as 50 sticks of dynamite senario?
1, 6 or 12 volts..with you "probing " around with power..into a connected sender line you are heading for one hell of an explosion and fire..

You are sending 12 volts (or whatever voltage you have) Through a sender (that should be on ground) INTO and through 30 GALLONS of gasoline and inside of a grounded tank..IF you didn't read and fully understand my last post...you need to read up on fuel senders and systems, and learn to use the meter OR find a good shop to repair the system to be safe..your headed for BIG trouble.

Doc