Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wrong guage reading
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00
Hmmm.... Let's see... the original system was 6v positive ground , but everything is now 12 v. neg ground.

The gauge is self grounding to the housing I think as there is no ground wire to the gauge ... which only has 2 connections... one is power ( now 6v) and the other wire goes to the sender.

Could I possibly have the sender power wires mixed? (Actually I don't think so as there is a metal plate that goes from gauge to gauge to carry power to the next gauge .
Barry

Doc here,

After a good night's sleep , (after 22 hours of designing our new product line this year..) and re~Reading what you have described..here is what exactly I think you have done..

By putting 12 volts straight on a 6 volt gauge, and with a disconnected sender wire, you Drove the meter movement way past it's mechanical limits backward......damaging the index pointer and the jewel it rides on..now the highest reading it can give as "E" .. and the lowest being Sub "E"...(moved the whole scale backward)

You Can try to pull the gauge apart and "Right" the pointer IF you are careful and patient.. and VERY Lucky..

Or pack it up and send it off to a restorer (I have links) that will install a new movement, bezel, silk screen the face and install new glass for about $250.00..(I'm assuming this is a retro Stock gauge that matches the panel) ..

This is a SMALL example of WHY I dislike Mixed busses (6 volt / 12 volt on the same vehicle..) sooner or later the wrong wire ends up on the wrong device..and "Poof" you let out all the factory installed Smoke..

Doc