Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   wrong intake manifold gaskets? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wrong-intake-manifold-gaskets-182836.html)

hemi joe 08-16-2010 03:26 PM

wrong intake manifold gaskets?

hey everyone,after pulling my intake manifold on my 87 caprice 5.7L/350,i found the intake gaskets are for a tbi.my car is carbureted could this cause overheating since back ports are blocked off.the correct gaskets are open for carbed motor.plus i think i was sold a reverse flow water pump which caused my overheating problem.any thoughts on this issue?

SSedan64 08-16-2010 03:35 PM

The reverse flow Pump will definitely cause a problem if your car's Pump doesn't run a Serp belt. I don't think the blocked ports will as some intakes don't have flow thru the Intake at the rear. Did the rear of your Manifold have open ports or just the gasket had open holes? Many are that way so they fit either side.

hemi joe 08-16-2010 03:51 PM

the reason i ask is all the gskets for my motor have open rear ports,even my edelbrock performer has open rear ports.i agree with the water pump i have a new one ordered.

hemi joe 08-16-2010 07:43 PM

i quess no one knows what i'am talking about?

ericnova72 08-16-2010 07:50 PM

The SBC intake gaskets have water holes in both ends so that they are interchangeable and can be used on either side of the engine. There are no rear water ports in stock OEM intakes, it is only aftermarket performance intakes that have water ports in the rear, for the guys who want to modify their engines for four corner water return.

It would have nothing to do with your overheating problem.

hemi joe 08-16-2010 08:23 PM

not true,the gasket for my car has the rear ports open.gaskets for tbi are closed.look it up,i have a 5.7L/350 CARBURETED MOTOR.TBI IS DIFFERENT GASKET.LOOK IT UP!!!the 87 roller motor is different,believe me,you guys are being stuburn.get off your high horse and look into this!!!

cobalt327 08-16-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi joe
not true,the gasket for my car has the rear ports open.gaskets for tbi are closed.look it up,i have a 5.7L/350 CARBURETED MOTOR.TBI IS DIFFERENT GASKET.LOOK IT UP!!!the 87 roller motor is different,believe me,you guys are being stuburn.get off your high horse and look into this!!!

It does not make any difference to the way the engine cooling system works, if the gasket is open or not on the rear ports- the rear ports dead end at the intake manifold- there is no water passage from the head into the intake. The water stops at the intake, whether it stops at an open gasket that butts into the intake or if the water port in the head is covered by a gasket, the intake has NO rear water passage.

The "traditional" intake gaskets have holes front and rear- this is only so one gasket needed- one gasket will fit both sides of the engine.

hemi joe 08-16-2010 09:28 PM

ok than what is that rear passage for.i don't understand,i need to be educated.

cobalt327 08-16-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

ok than what is that rear passage for.i don't understand,i need to be educated.

The rear passage in the head is there so it can be used on either side of the engine- both sides use the exact same casting.

There is no passage in the rear of the intake, as I mentioned before. The front passage is what is used. The gasket is similar to the heads- one gasket (like one head) will fit EITHER side of the engine.

physcult 08-17-2010 04:05 AM

On my 350, a previous owner had run a hose from the back of the manifold to the opposite cylinder head - I wondered what that was about. I guess it was someone trying to put a waterway where there isnt one, for what purpose Im unsure.

My Weiand inlet manifold has no waterways in the rear of it- so I presume it isnt important to running temperature.

cobalt327 08-17-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physcult
On my 350, a previous owner had run a hose from the back of the manifold to the opposite cylinder head - I wondered what that was about. I guess it was someone trying to put a waterway where there isnt one, for what purpose Im unsure.

My Weiand inlet manifold has no waterways in the rear of it- so I presume it isnt important to running temperature.

Some intakes come plumbed (or are modified) so the rear head passages can be tapped into, this is so external coolant lines can be used.

This isn't necessary on most street-bound engines.

skersfan 01-09-2011 11:39 AM

i pulled the gaskets from my 89 caprice classic and only one of the ports on the back of the old gaskets were closed and my new gaskets both of the back ports are closed will this still work or do i have to go buy new gaskets again
i have a 89 caprice v8 305 fuel injected

cobalt327 01-09-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skersfan
i pulled the gaskets from my 89 caprice classic and only one of the ports on the back of the old gaskets were closed and my new gaskets both of the back ports are closed will this still work or do i have to go buy new gaskets again
i have a 89 caprice v8 305 fuel injected

The gaskets you now have are correct. I show the correct gasket set (<$20) to be:

Fel-Pro - Intake Manifold Gasket Set Part Number: MS93317

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...s93317_top.jpg

skersfan 01-10-2011 10:44 AM

Ok thats the exact set that i have the reason im asking is because the set out of my car has one of the back ports open and one closed but ill put the new set in n see wat happens thanks

oldbogie 01-10-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

i quess no one knows what i'am talking about?

If your heater circuit comes off the back of the head/intake then you need a gasket set that opens the rear coolant returns.

If your heater circuit comes off the front of the intake where the return collector is, then a gasket that blocks the rear returns would not be a problem.

Bogie