Hot Rod Forum banner

wrong transmission fluid

996 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I put 8 L. of Type F Fluid in my 1983 Mercury capri C4 Transmission,,, but found out it reqiuered Type CJ , will it damage my transmission if I leave in & top it off with the dextron-mercon

#3 ·
oil

dropping the pan will give u about 5 qts of fluid. so your gonna be short.. u can ck to see if the converter has a drain plug and drain that. mainly keep the fluid so u can measure how much came out to put back in without overfill... that trans has a screen so don't worry about changing it. u can drop it and spray it to clean...

#4 ·
I don't know if I would get to concerned. I run some type f in my 2004r tranny just so I get a little firmer shift, and I beat the help out of it. I have used any type of fluid in the son in laws 2005 Malibu for the last three years and it hasn't hurt it yet, and its got 250 K on it. The pan hasn't been off of it at all. Every fall and spring, I just drop the plug on the tranny that is used to check the tranny fluid level, since it doesn't have a dip stick, and let the fluid seep out of it overnight, and replace it with three fresh quart of whatever I have, and call it good. It hasn't hurt it at all. He has put about 50 k miles a year on this old work car the last three to four years and also gets an oil change every month. All the type f fluid is, a fluid with little to no friction modifiers. But if your worried, drop the pan and replace some of it, to give you peace of mind. Since you have replaced some of it already, and you do that again, your fluid should be better then just a one time change, since you have replaced more old fluid.

#5 ·
I have two 700R4 trans in hotrods that get abused often. Type F in both from day one.

Don't know what it could hurt, they use the same clutch and band materials in just about all transmissions rebuild kits that I've seen. But I haven't seen them all.

I'd leave it in.

#6 ·
You're fine, it won't hurt a thing.

Most performance trans builders will tell you to run Type F fluid (or a synthetic or sometimes tractor hydraulic fluid for full race stuff) in any trans, it is a slightly less slippery, more "grippy" fluid and helps keep the clutches and band linings from wearing or becoming glazed.

As a side note, Federal law requires all transmission fluids to be compatible with each other, you can mix and match all you want. What the car companies give you for "requirements" is just to preserve the factory shift feel they designed into the trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.