Wuss out! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wuss out!

Hey all,

I've got a couple of issues with the ride that I need to get worked out sooner rather than later, but it is just too damned cold here in Brooklyn NY for me to do the work myself on the street.

Anybody know of a good shop in Brooklyn or around New York that won't charge me a fortune?The guys that I know with shops in my neighborhood just don't give a damn and will treat my 64 Galaxie like a **** box.

Thanks,

B

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What are your issues?........let me guess, soft ride?

Your suspension probably needs rebuilt, stiffer shocks, springs etc.

This thread should probably go to the suspension forum, you will get better respnses there.

Budget RVs
Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 PM

No actually, I rebuilt my suspension last summer. Ride's great.

The main thing is that one of my belt pulley's is off kilter and is squeeling terrible. I'd tear it down myself, but I'm not sure what is invovled. I don't have a lot of free time right now and I can't afford to get caught out in the cold with a dead car again.

Shouldn't be too hard, it's just that when I took my old beater (now dead) truck to the various local shops. they didn't treat her too nice. Just looking for a recomendation.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

work space

Not having been in Brooklyn since the mid 70's, (Williamsburg area, Bedford & N7th), I dont know whats available around there. I do know that in a lot of larger cities, they have hobby shops for car enthusiasts. You can rent work space for $XXX a day and its inside. Fixing a squeeling belt shoudnt be too much of a problem. I would look things over careful and see if you can discern what is causing that pully to be out of alignment. Its possible that the belt is just stretched out so much that its slipping. If thats the case, a new belt would be in order.
Totally shocked you would consider parking that car on the street. I take it you dont have a garage.

Knowing what poor drivers the sanitation workers and the guys that hump the trash cans are, in NYC, I would be in mortal fear of one of them damaging it.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Max!

Hey man, I'm in Williamsburg... though a little farther out. I was born in the 70's but my best freind in grade school lived on Berry and 10th. It was a lot different back then.

Yeah, I would much perfer to have a garage, but right now I just got what I got. I don't know of any facilities like that in BK. Actually, I know a couple of guys who would also like a space like that. Haven't been able to find anything like that. If you know of something I'm all ears! (for real!)

The thing with NYC is that you can get a great indian dinner for $2.50, but you can't get a 1000 sq foot space that rolls from the curb for less than $4500 a month.

Re: the belt
It's brand new. That was the first thing I went after. Basically in order to fix this thing, I'm going to have to take the fan/pully assembally apart. Not a big deal on a nice summer day, and hell, if things are worse than they look, I could move the ride across the street on battery alone for a while (In BK we've got alternate side of the street parking. Must move twice a week or get a $45 ticket).

Thing is a job that is a pleasure on a saturday with a beer, sun, and a temps in the 60s or 80s is a real ***** slog with highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s, and freezing rain possible on Monday.

B
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

alternatives

Yes, I remember the alternative parking thing, and with a downed vehicle that could be a pain.. A test: with the engine running, pull the cap off your radiator and see if your coolent is circulating. Will take a couple minutes for the thermostat to open.
also watch any and all pulleys for wobble. If your water pump or alternator pullies wabble, its time to replace said units if the pullies cant be tightened up.
As for Italian food, my GF at the time was full blooded Italian, I got to eat Italian for free.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.