WW2 military themed Studebaker street rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

WW2 military themed Studebaker street rod

Well, I have dreamed if it for years and am finally going to begin. I do a lot of local aviation history research in the Tampa Florida area. I guess this has permeated into my love of cool old cars and trucks. I am about to start on redoing my 57 Studebaker truck into a military themed vehicle. The exterior body is essentially stock except for the rear view mirrors and the tail lights which began life as F-16 Navigation lights. I will pain the exterior a satin Green, consistent with WW2 US military vehicles. I will add white stars to the doors and some white stenciling on the doors and bumper (s). I will do the interior in an aircraft cockpit theme. I have just purchased the Bomber instruments from Classic Instruments, I have a WW2 era P-51 Mustang stick grip for my shifter, a military 8 day clock, lots of salvaged military aircraft switches, lights, panels, ejection seat decals, aircraft instrument panel decals, and just lots of aircraft items laying around from years and years of working with military aircraft. I have owned this truck for 35 years now, the first time I painted it, I painted it red, has been red for 30 years, time for a change. I do a lot of events with the military and military veterans so it will be right at home at many events I attend. I will start with posting images of the truck from past and present, then will document my progress as I move forward.
Denny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (2).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1,007.8 KB
ID:	107114   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCKLOADINGINTO C5.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	953.9 KB
ID:	107122   Click image for larger version

Name:	010 (2).JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	107130   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3832.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	848.1 KB
ID:	107138   Click image for larger version

Name:	018 (2).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	107146  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: grill and rear end
Last photo:

I think that will be great.Just don't forget to put that Aircraft engine in it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Love the backgrounds in those photos....the P40, wow....but my favorite is the P51....your truck is at just the right angle.......

You may have to reconfigure the transmission tunnel just a bit to fit that Allison in there!

I think D-Day stripes would look good worked into the design somewhere....

very cool idea.....

JP
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Last photo:

Would love to have a V-12 powering my truck. Actually, thats a Merlin engine., but either would make this truck move like a rocket. I have some much needed time off from work for the holidays so I began prepping the body for repaint. I will do the exterior a fairly stock WW2 era OD green with white stars and lettering. The interior will be aviation themed. It was tough sanding away the shiony paint, the paint job really wasnt too bad, Itstime for a change. My wife is not a big fan of the new paint color, but I think the military scheme is as much a "guy" thing as a pink car is a "girls" thing. I hope to finish sanding today. I just have to do the tailgate, door jams and some misc parts. I couldnt wait and started on the instrument cluster. Studebaker built these trucks with great efficiency and with both left and right hand drive versions. The opening for the glove compartment is identical to the opening on left side of the dash. The glove box door could be put on the left of the right as required. Also, the same part that was the glove box door was used as the instrument cluster. For the inst. cluster, they just punched holes in it for the instruments and left off the hinges and knob. I found a glove box door and used it for my instrument cluster. I laid out the instruments and marked the locations and required holes. I must have 20 different size and style hole saws but, not one of them was the right size for any of the instruments, all were odd 1/8 inch size increments. Took a lot of drilling, grinding and filing to make correct holes for the instruments. I worked a trade with a buddy of mine, I am restoring a couple WW2, P-51 Mustang gun sights to trade for a cool Waltham 8 day military aircraft clock used on F-4 Phantoms and other aircraft of that era. I already have the clock opening cut, just need to drill the mounting holes. I may add a few switches to the panel or may locate them elsewhere in the interior (cockpit)?
I found an old picture of the truck from about 30 years ago before I restored it, it has come a long way since then.
Denny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0315.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	108042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0318.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	108050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0325.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	108058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0309 - Copy.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	108066   Click image for larger version

Name:	STUDEBAKER TRUCK 1980.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	108074  

Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

I purchased a gallon of Nason paint, I hope a gallon will do it, I may go get another quart tomorrow to make sure I have enough. I will be painting not only the outside but the door jams, underside of the hood, inside the bed, bumpers and lots pf misc parts. I dont plan on clear coating it. The more I read about using a flattener in the paint, the more it seems like its not an exact science. I dont want the paint flat, but then I want less sheen than a semi-gloss. I believe what I am looking for is often described as "egg shell". I will mix appropriate amount of reducer as recommended by the manufacturer to 5 quarts of base paint in a clean bucket. Next I will add the quart of flattener and mix that thoroughly. I can then dip out enugh of the mix to spray a sample area after I add the appropriate amount of hardner. Does this sound like a good plan? I have seen military vehicles done with gloss OD green, but to me they just looked terrible, not the look I am going for.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Finally, a day between the rain and the col. I was able to get some paint o the truck today. I mixed 5 quarts of paint with two quarts of flattener as recommended. It didn't come out as the satin that the manufacturer said it would. It is not a high gloss, maybe a semi gloss, but I can live with it. I will work on the door jams and radiator support next, then the fun part, the white stars and stenciling!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN9998.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	110697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9999.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	110705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9997.JPG
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	110713   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0001.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	110721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0002.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	110729  

Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Got the stencilling done along with a few other things. I took the truck out to MacDill today to put it up on the lift to do some work under the truck. While there I took a few pictures of the new paint scheme.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0018 (2).JPG
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	121425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0026.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	121433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0030.JPG
ID:	121441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0034.JPG
Views:	24
ID:	121449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	121457  

Old 02-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious101010 View Post
Well, I have dreamed if it for years and am finally going to begin. I do a lot of local aviation history research in the Tampa Florida area. I guess this has permeated into my love of cool old cars and trucks. I am about to start on redoing my 57 Studebaker truck into a military themed vehicle. The exterior body is essentially stock except for the rear view mirrors and the tail lights which began life as F-16 Navigation lights. I will pain the exterior a satin Green, consistent with WW2 US military vehicles. I will add white stars to the doors and some white stenciling on the doors and bumper (s). I will do the interior in an aircraft cockpit theme. I have just purchased the Bomber instruments from Classic Instruments, I have a WW2 era P-51 Mustang stick grip for my shifter, a military 8 day clock, lots of salvaged military aircraft switches, lights, panels, ejection seat decals, aircraft instrument panel decals, and just lots of aircraft items laying around from years and years of working with military aircraft. I have owned this truck for 35 years now, the first time I painted it, I painted it red, has been red for 30 years, time for a change. I do a lot of events with the military and military veterans so it will be right at home at many events I attend. I will start with posting images of the truck from past and present, then will document my progress as I move forward.
Denny
What great photos!

Brian
Old 02-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
Very cool, you did a fine job!

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.