Wwill a 1988 sable/taurus 3.8l electric fan work for a .30 over Ford 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wwill a 1988 sable/taurus 3.8l electric fan work for a .30 over Ford 302

Okay since apparently my mother (whom i have taken quite a bit of MY time out to help) does hot understand that in general V8's (and im only saying this from very limited actual experience and a crap load of research) Need minimum of 2200 CFM for them to cool correctly.

Now how we had the engine before in our previous 63 fairlane was the same except for a family friend whom put it in managed to finagle himself a high flow 3 core radiator for it. It also had the benefit of a 5 blade flex fan. Now all that was necessary because (yes it's a crate engine, i told um its a waste of money but it was there choice) it ran very hot and continued to overheat.

It is bored .30 over and has a edelbrock performer intake and a 650 CFM edelbrock carb nuthing fancy just some items to beef it up a lil'

now we first tried with just adding the 5 blade flex and it still continued to run hot, but after we got the High flow 3 core radiator it seemed to be just fine. well skipping ahead a few years she ended up selling that 63 fairlane but not the engine. However she got rid of the radiator, now by chance she has another 63 fairlane and has decided to drop in the 302.

Now the aftermarket radiator we got from summit wont work cuz the radiator hose is on the wrong side on the bottom, so she stupidly decided to go with a stock 2 core radiator off a 260. now besides the whole overheating all the time issue before when this engine was running and had two better factors to aid in its cooling, i decided to humor here and just say whatever just use that radiator then.

well it turns out there is no way to mount it at all and have the hood be able to close still with making it so the fan with slice through radiator hoses. SO... i told her to go with an electric fan, i managed to find one online that is 14'' big (the radiator is 17'' wide and 22'' tall so i had to find one that covered 70% of it) and has a 2400 CFM rating. It's only 32$ with shipping. also it is universal and DOES have the ability to be a pusher or a puller. it took me ages to fine that, because electric fans are NOT CHEAP!!

but seeing as she is i don't know cheap maybe..?? or just stupid she decided nah I'll just buy one off craigslist, well it was some scum of the earth ******* who saw her comin a mile away and made the fan he sold here practically sound like it a replacement fan for a Boeing 747.

Well when i got home first thing i did was look it up, from i can gather it was from a 1988 sable/Taurus with a 3.8l that's about all i could get

does anyone have either further info about whether or not this will or wont work, and wont anyone else would recommend as a good CFM because from what i was finding was it said in general V8's need 2200-5500 CFM Depending on how they are built.

can someone please help me out on this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

If you have a big enough radiator you will never really need a fan at all. I have a big radiator in my suburban and an electric fan from a saturn with a 4 banger. I have it on a switch and just keep an eye on the temp gauge. I never really ever have to turn it on except on a hot during a traffic jam on the expressway or something. There is no fan at all on the water pump pulley and it never gets much over 160-170 degrees. I turn it on at 190 sitting in traffic. The radiator size is key I think
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

What is the diameter of the fan? With electric fans you want one the will cover as much of the radiator as possible. Your 14 inch fan that you wanted wouldn't have done well either. Go with a 16 inch puller that comes on around 180 and off around 165. What temp does the motor usually run at? You also need to make sure that there is adequate airflow around the engine itself. Your timing can also play a role in overheating, as can your thermostat and water pump.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

Think shroud
Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

The Ford Taurus, Lincoln Mark VIII, Ford Crown Vic, Dodge Intrepid etc.. fans work very well. Pull about the same cfm's as the high $$ Spal fans.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...pal-duals.html

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html

http://www.montecarloss.com/communit...gonew=1#UNREAD

This is Dia. of a Crown Vic fan, about 26.8"W X 18.4"H
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190436126778
You can find these for as low as $40 new on ebay.
The Sable/Taurus, Intrepid fans coverage will be smaller.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 PM

not sure how hot it usually ran srry but i know it overheated so much that the car wouldnt just smoke it would just completly shut down, also the radiator is pardon my french but complete f**king s**t its a 2 core with horrible flow and does naybody have the actual specs for a 1988 taurus or sable fan (CFM amp draw that sorta thing)
also i think that it is either 12 or 13'' big also just to let ya know
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Maybe this will make you feel much better,so click on this: www.fordmuscle.com/TechDepartment/cooling.php click on the box that says: Junkyard Fan
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 AM
WOW, I could have had a V8!

Last photo:

The Taurus or Lincoln Mark 8 fans both work well if you have the room for them.
Here is a link to a comprehensive install of a Mark 8 fan:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

Jon
http://1972vega.wordpress.com/
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

The Taurus fan should work for you.I have used it on a stock 302,a 347 and a mild 351w. I am running one on my DD a full size Bronco with a 302. I installed this one a little different than the way most are installed. I wanted to be able to draw air tru as much of the radiator as possible. so I was going to build me a shroud to fit the Taurus fan to.But after I pulled the stock shroud and it was laying on the floor it looked like the Taurus fan would fit into the stock shroud.I set it inside of the stock shroud and ran some self tapping screws in to the corners to hold it in place so I could do a trial mount to make sure it would clear the water pump pulley.I had to adjust it some to make it clear but other wise it fit. I took it back out and put in bolts in place of the self tapping screws.I ran masking tape on the inside of the shroud where the gaps between the stock shroud and the Taurus shroud. I flipped it over and sprayed foam insulation in the gaps,this the type foam that is used to seal air leaks and drafts in houses. It is polyurethane foam and will with stand moderate high heat . A word of caution if you get on your skin get it off before it sets using acetone or finger nail polish remover or it will have to wear off .If you get it on your clothes it will not come out!!!! If you need to bond two things together it will bond most anything to most anything....excellent glue!
After the foam set,I sprayed it flat black so it would not stand out and look a little better.
I mounted the fan and thermostatic controller along with a constant duty relay. I wired to the low speed side and used the thermostatic control to switch the ground for the relay.I bought the controller and the relay from NAPA for less than 40.00 for both of them.
It has been on the truck for over two years now and have not had any trouble with it,even on the days where it got to 100* here.
Kenny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	211.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	47908   Click image for larger version

Name:	214.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	47909   Click image for larger version

Name:	221.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	47910   Click image for larger version

Name:	212.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	47911   Click image for larger version

Name:	213.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	47912  

Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

That's thinkin with your dipstick.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

ebay, Summit and Jegs all have e-fans well over 3000cfm for under $100 with thermostats. I would take piece of mind with a brand new high flow fan over a used "will it work or not" craigslist fan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-30...item1c155336ad

I bought a Zirgo 3400 CFM fan off ebay with adjustable thermostat about 4 years ago for about $90 shipped and it's still ticking. Works great in the Florida heat when traffic is at a standstill.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.