WWWOOOHHOOO Air ride baby! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 10:03 PM

Last journal entry: finished
Wiki Edits: 0

WWWOOOHHOOO Air ride baby!

Hey guys!
About an hour ago I finally just finished up installing my new air ride setup in my 64 fairlane! Whoever came up with this idea is a genius, it's awesome. I've never installed one before, and it wasn't too hard. Me, my dad, and one of my dad's friends put it in, and it was real straightforward. Now my car sits at about 3 inches from the ground (at the rockers) when the bags have no air, and inflates almost all the way back up to stock height. I couldn't take any good pictures tonight since it was in my garage, so tomorrow I'll head out and take some new ones when it's light out, but here was a quick picture I snapped of the front tire to show just how low it goes:

I have new wheels that I have to get tires mounted on tomorrow, so I'll post those up too!
But anyways, back to the point of this post... I just wanted to thank all of you guys who helped me figure out what I was going to do for the suspension, and who put up with my dumb questions. Altered Image was a big help to me on this site, he pmed me and aol instant messaged me tons of times to explain stuff, thanks a lot!!
How many of you guys have air ride? how did the installation go? was it your first? How long have you had it? How does it ride after it's been on the car for a while? Thanks a lot everyone!

~Frank~

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

I would like some specifics...what size valves?tank?airline?bags?compressor?what brand?
I may have a very nice compressor up for sale soon...Its a chrome ViAir 380c...I am going to be running an engine-driven when I get the motor in my truck.
Also where did you buy your fittings at? What did you go with presto-lock or compression fittings?
Let me know...I am also putting air ride on my truck....BUT....I am doing a little different setup than most people.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-11-2004, 06:09 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I put air ride on an S-10 i had back in 1996. It was long before Air Ride Technologies and before any company made any "nice" components. I bought a kit and ended up throwing it in the trash and building a new one. Back then, no one knew what Air Ride was, EVERYONE thought my truck had hydraulics. But any way, if installed correctly, you will have years of trouble free service. I drove the truck for about 5-6 years. Never blew a bag, never blew an air line, have a few problems with compressors, but this was long before there were companies like ViAir. I had to dig around and bought a Firestone compressor from a semi place and it worked fine for me back then.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Weimer (or others),

What are the advantages of the motor driven compressor. I have electric at this point and seems to do the job. Just wondering what the advantage might be to switching...

Dewey
Old 03-11-2004, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Quicker fill times...read that, More play time
Also it isn't something that everyone else has or knows how to adapt....I have 2 sitting in the garage waiting for my Project S10 and the next project.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-11-2004, 04:06 PM

Hey Guys,
Weimer, I'll give you all the specifics I know about what I have. I bought the front and rear kit from Air Ride Technologies, the valves are right in the control panel, I think they're only 1/8" valves (nice and slow, but I like that on a classic. wasn't looking for hopping or anything ). I have 2 two gallon tanks, they hold plenty of air to get me up and down a few times without having to sit and wait for the compressor to pump some more air into them. I have 1/4" airline. The front bags are firestone 6873 bags (double convoluted) and the rear are the F9000, with the tapered sleeve. My compressor is the the 327 compressor from air ride technologies, not too big, but it gets the job done. I've been looking for a York A/C compressor to run off my engine, but so far no luck in the boneyards around here. The fittings came with the compressor and airline kit from Air ride, and I'm not sure if they were presto fit or compression... all you had to do was shove the airline in and they lock. Good luck with your truck! let me know how it goes.
Kristkustoms,
That sounds like a bummer that you had to throw out your whole kit! How much did that cost ya? Thanks for letting me know that the setup will last if we installed it correctly, I hope we did! Thanks for the post .
Dewey,
The advantages to an engine driven compressor are that they're way faster, and way quieter. They run off the engine so you don't have that "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound whenever your tanks get empty. I heard that a york 210 air condition compressor can fill 5 gallons in around 20 seconds!

Well, I went out and took some pictures today, here's a bunch of em:
side shot w/ new wheels:

shot with old pos wheels:

front wheel:

back wheel:

stock picture:

thanks for looking!

~Frank~

Last edited by flamedfordbronco; 03-11-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Bling!Bling! J/K....looking good though. Stick with it and she'll be a sweet little project to take to the cruise-ins.
Too bad that you are in CT...I have set of nice buckets that would look good in there, Jag XJ6 lowback buckets.
The compressor that I have is a ViAir 380c, 200psi,chrome. It will be up for sale soon(I think)

Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-11-2004, 04:53 PM

Weimer,
thanks for checking out my fairlane! lol I think it's blingin too, all that rust and no doors really makes me feel like a rapper when I'm cruisin the blvd. yeah I'm trying to find a set of buckets maybe out of an old mustang. I have the original benches, but those are just too much like grandma seats. If I lived in ohio I'd come check out those Jag seats! Thanks for letting me know about the compressor too, how much are you asking for it when you sell it? What kind of engine driven compressor do you have? where did you find it? that' what I want to put in too, good luck with your projects!

~Frank~
Old 03-11-2004, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

York engine driven...local wrecking yard. I have been dealing with those boys since I was 15, so they give me a hell of a deal. 2 for $80. They had a couple more out there, but I didn't want to let on what i was using them for. Around here if you have an idea, you try to keep it locked tight because soon everyone will be doing it.LOL!
The airride scene around here is basically me and my buddy, and my ride isn't on the road yet
I'll let you know about the compressor.
Here are some specifica on it:

380C STANDARD FEATURES:

Oil-less design

Hi Performance PTFE Piston Ring

Stainless Steel Valves

Moisture & Dust Resistant

Gear-less Direct Drive Motor

Anodized Aluminum Alloy Cylinder

Automatic Reset Thermal Overload Protector

Mounting Plates with Vibration Isolators

Stainless Steel Braided Leader Hose

Inline Check Valve

Remote Mountable Inlet Filter
SPECIFICATIONS:

Voltage: 12 Volt

Max Amperage: 16 Amps

Max Working Pressure: 200 PSI

Max Ambient Temp: 158F

Min Ambient Temp: -40F

Motor: Permanent Magnetic

Max Duty Cycle @ 100 PSI: 100%

Dimensions: 9.0"L x 4"W x 7.00"H

Net Weight: 8lbs.

Later,
WEIMER

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.